The Student Room Group

English GCSE test 02 June 2015 (Twitter and Google)

Did anyone else do this test?

Was it OCR and is that the only test we do? (2 hour paper)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by redsoules
Did anyone else do this test?

Was it OCR and is that the only test we do? (2 hour paper)

Don't you have an exam timetable which tells you the exams you have this summer?
Also, if you are in your first year of GCSE I doubt it is the only English exam you will have to do, you will likely have one next summer
Reply 2
Original post by l'insegnante
Don't you have an exam timetable which tells you the exams you have this summer?
Also, if you are in your first year of GCSE I doubt it is the only English exam you will have to do, you will likely have one next summer

College - Resits I think.

I think it was the 1, 2 hour test. Consisting of 3 questions at 12,14,14 marks. Followed by a 1, 40 mark question.
College - Resits I think.

I think it was the 1, 2 hour test. Consisting of 3 questions at 12,14,14 marks. Followed by a 1, 40 mark question.

Which OCR Specification is it?
Reply 4
Which OCR Specification is it?

Spec? Not sure? OCR Higher tier June 02 2015.
Spec? Not sure? OCR Higher tier June 02 2015.

Yeah but is it Spec A or B or what?
Reply 6
Yeah but is it Spec A or B or what?

Well, That i'm not sure of. Not sure why you need it considering I gave the specific contents I.e google and twitter and twitter was concerning the article written by Janet-Street Porter.
Well, That i'm not sure of. Not sure why you need it considering I gave the specific contents I.e google and twitter and twitter was concerning the article written by Janet-Street Porter.

Because the paper has only been sat so it's impossible to get a hold of to see which spec is written on the front of it.

If you knew the spec you'd know what's involved in it and therefore if there's another exam for it
Reply 8
Because the paper has only been sat so it's impossible to get a hold of to see which spec is written on the front of it.

If you knew the spec you'd know what's involved in it and therefore if there's another exam for it

Nah i'm pretty sure there isn't now I think about it.

Where I'm at college we've also done controlled assessments. The English paper concerned 60% of my total mark, hence the mark scheme of 12,14,14 in the first section (total 40 marks) and then 1 hour to do a (1) 40 mark question; equalling a total of 80 marks and 60% of my total grade.

My controlled assessments have accumulated me an A (GCSE) thus far, but hopefully my exam will boost that to an A*. (By what I hear, an A* in English is quite tough to achieve, what do you think?)
Nah i'm pretty sure there isn't now I think about it.

Where I'm at college we've also done controlled assessments. The English paper concerned 60% of my total mark, hence the mark scheme of 12,14,14 in the first section (total 40 marks) and then 1 hour to do a (1) 40 mark question; equalling a total of 80 marks and 60% of my total grade.

My controlled assessments have accumulated me an A (GCSE) thus far, but hopefully my exam will boost that to an A*. (By what I hear, an A* in English is quite tough to achieve, what do you think?)

I'm training to be an English teacher and have seen specs with papers with that amount of marks. And personally myself had 2 exams when I done GCSE English Language both with 80 marks. Then Controlled assessment too.

I got an A* in GCSE English no bother, I got over 90% in everything - I have a gift from God for words I guess.
But really it shouldn't be hard if you get a high enough mark in the exam to be added to your others. Again, if I knew the spec I could give you grade boundaries.
Reply 10
I'm training to be an English teacher and have seen specs with papers with that amount of marks. And personally myself had 2 exams when I done GCSE English Language both with 80 marks. Then Controlled assessment too.

I got an A* in GCSE English no bother, I got over 90% in everything - I have a gift from God for words I guess.
But really it shouldn't be hard if you get a high enough mark in the exam to be added to your others. Again, if I knew the spec I could give you grade boundaries.

Can you give me grade boundaries anyhow? I'm Not sure what spec it is, all i can say is Its the GCSE OCR Higher Tier, I THINK it might be A or B, most likely B (I'm from south central England).
Can you give me grade boundaries anyhow? I'm Not sure what spec it is, all i can say is Its the GCSE OCR Higher Tier, I THINK it might be A or B, most likely B (I'm from south central England).

I can't give you grade boundaries without knowing the spec because every exam board and every spec have different boundaries

There is no A or B for OCR
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 12
I can't give you grade boundaries without knowing the spec because every exam board and every spec have different boundaries

There is no A or B for OCR

Right?

So, Naturally my OCR GCSE Higher paper should be ONE of the spec's - How many spec's do you have?

This is 1 exam board (OCR) and the Level is GCSE (higher). There can't be that many specs for that surely.
Right?

So, Naturally my OCR GCSE Higher paper should be ONE of the spec's - How many spec's do you have?

This is 1 exam board (OCR) and the Level is GCSE (higher). There can't be that many specs for that surely.

No matter which spec there will be a higher and a foundation.
Past papers will have the spec on them if you have any.
OCR have 3 specs for GCSE English Language.
Also grade boundaries will be different year on year also, the only ones available now will be past years which will only give you a rough idea of what they will be this year
Reply 14
No matter which spec there will be a higher and a foundation.
Past papers will have the spec on them if you have any.
OCR have 3 specs for GCSE English Language.
Also grade boundaries will be different year on year also, the only ones available now will be past years which will only give you a rough idea of what they will be this year

Yeah I had a little look at it. Said the marks were out of 160?

Did you find out your spec?
That'll be UMS
Reply 16

Wrong one.

This is what im looking at now:

http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/176543-unit-level-raw-mark-and-ums-grade-boundaries-june-2014.pdf

But I don't quite understand it, as the topics it's listing under GCSE English aren't familiar to me?
Reply 17
Did you find out your spec?
That'll be UMS

What is UMS?

I am slightly confused with how the marks on that weblink actually work?
You need 270 UMS overall for an A*
UMS are Uniform Marks, they are there to standardise exams.
Your Raw marks from the exam are converted to UMS during a process. They'll take a sample of papers from each band and compare them to the previous year (difficulty, over all standard etc) and determine which range of raw marks will be which range of Uniform marks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending