Scroll to see replies

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1433630613.964493.jpg

I'm struggling with this one too :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by gcsestuff
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1433630027.879071.jpg

I keep getting B, any help ? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

It should be the maximum flux linkage, shouldn't it? To be honest if it is i don't even know why it is

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mehrdad jafari
For a rotating coil in a magnetic field:

When the coil is vertical the flux linkage is greatest and when the coil is horizontal the induced emf is greatest

I thought induced emf is the change of flux linkage so why when the coil is at right angle to the magnetic field lines the induced emf us zero? This sounds so unreasonable

Posted from TSR Mobile

The angle in question i believe is that between the field lines and the normal to the coil. When coil is vertical, angle = 0 therefore flux = max, when coil is horiz, angle = 90 flux =0
Flux = BANcostheta
Magnitude of emf = d/dt(N.flux)
Reply 2803
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1433630613.964493.jpg

I'm struggling with this one too :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am guessing C.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ilovemaths96
The angle in question i believe is that between the field lines and the normal to the coil. When coil is vertical, angle = 0 therefore flux = max, when coil is horiz, angle = 90 flux =0
Flux = BANcostheta
Magnitude of emf = d/dt(N.flux)

Thanks for your response :smile:

Yeah, mathematically that explains it but I'm having trouble with the idea that when the flux linkage is maximum the induced emf is zero

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by a.a.k
I am guessing C.

Posted from TSR Mobile

How do you assume that the collision is inelastic?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2806
How do you assume that the collision is inelastic?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is the answer right.
Btw i am assuming since they both moving together it cant inelastic otherwise they would be moving in opposite direction

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2807
Thanks for your response :smile:

Yeah, mathematically that explains it but I'm having trouble with the idea that when the flux linkage is maximum the induced emf is zero

Posted from TSR Mobile

I always relate it to how many lines cut through. Though i would suggest this as an exam answer

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by a.a.k
Is the answer right.
Btw i am assuming since they both moving together it cant inelastic otherwise they would be moving in opposite direction

Posted from TSR Mobile

Your answer can't be right as the momentum is always conserved and can not change.
And also not necessarily. Looking at the trucks one has a less mass than the other so during the interaction it might only exert such a force as to not move in the opposite direction to its original velocity

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2809
Your answer can't be right as the momentum is always conserved and can not change.
And also not necessarily. Looking at the trucks one has a less mass than the other so during the interaction it might only exert such a force as to not move in the opposite direction to its original velocity

Posted from TSR Mobile

And this is why is said i am guessing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by a.a.k
And this is why is said i am guessing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's cool man :smile:
But guessing is not a good thing to do. We need to have confidence in our thinking. During my mocks i would never guess an answer to a question even though choosing an option would be of no harm as i wouldn't loose marks. So I would leave it blank. For me if i don't know, then i don't know :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2811
But guessing is not a good thing to do. We need to have confidence in our thinking. During my mocks i would never guess an answer to a question even though choosing an option would be of no harm as i wouldn't loose marks. So I would leave it blank. For me if i don't know, then i don't know :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I do the same. But if i cant do them until the exam finishes then i just guess in the last minutes of the exam.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2812

Posted from TSR Mobile

Whats the answer btw

Posted from TSR Mobile
Answer is b to the momentum one. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by a.a.k
I do the same. But if i cant do them until the exam finishes then i just guess in the last minutes of the exam.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's true. If you guess you still have 25% chance of getting it right which is a good thing

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by a.a.k
I am guessing C.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would say B: Clearly momentum doesn't change. For the kinetic energy, we know that the collision will slow down their overall speed (clearly they can't travel together at more than or equal to the speed of the first car!). But their mass is increased. kinetic energy is proportional to mv^2, where m gets bigger and v gets smaller, as we just showed. But v is squared, so v getting smaller causes more affect overall, so mv^2 get smaller overall. Hence the kinetic energy decreases. So: momentum is unchanged, kinetic energy decreases --> option B.
Reply 2816

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aww thnx i was nearly got it right

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by a.a.k
Aww thnx i was nearly got it right

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah c was just below b :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2818
Yeah c was just below b :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

And A was just above b :awesome:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think i understand now why that it. Looking at the trucks, the moving one has a less mass than than the stationary one. This means that if the collision is perfectly elastic it would transfer some of its momentum( as it has a less mass)to the other truck, leaving itself with a lower velocity (in the opposite direction pehaps)so they couldn't have the same velocity after the collision.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending