The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 900
Original post by Gerald DGrilla
IMHO......

There are always going to be exceptions, where someone might get low grades but with extenuating circumstances, but I suspect that normal looks like 7+ A*s.

But for 'the lowest', I think this really depends on the circumstances.

If a student's mother dies 2 weeks before GCSE exams then 1 A, 7 Bs and 2 Cs might be acceptable, if everything else is spankingly good.

Also, as we all know, an offer is based on many elements including AS results, Oxford's own tests, PS, school reference and the interview, as well as GCSE's.....

...but assuming no extenuating circumstances and averagely brilliant other elements then I would assume that (say) 4*'s and the rest A's would not be good enough.

Oxford are looking for the brightest and the best and GCSE's are just another clue as to whether you are up to it - most are not.

Gerry

"4*'s and the rest A's would not be good enough." Speaking as someone with an offer with 4A*, 5As and 3Bs (and no extenuating circumstances) - not true! The average number of A* may well be around 7, but that means there are plenty of people below and above because of how averages are calculated :smile:
Original post by Lau14
"4*'s and the rest A's would not be good enough." Speaking as someone with an offer with 4A*, 5As and 3Bs (and no extenuating circumstances) - not true! The average number of A* may well be around 7, but that means there are plenty of people below and above because of how averages are calculated :smile:

Fair point.
...or maybe I have an Oxford voice and a Cambridge voice :smile::smile:

I like Cambridge voice more :ahee: our chatterbox population made you be :banana2: :wink:
Original post by C0balt
I like Cambridge voice more :ahee: our chatterbox population made you be :banana2: :wink:

I am a complex dude and I have multitudinous aspects to my being, but deep down..... :biggrin:

PS That banana is just groooving.
(edited 8 years ago)
I am a complex dude and I have multitudinous aspects to my being, but deep down I'm very shallow. :biggrin:

PS That banana is just groooving.

:bl:
Original post by C0balt

Too much! :biggrin:
Hi all,
I'm a 2017 hopeful :colondollar: sorry to jump on the thread!
I'm in the middle of my GCSEs, hoping for about 7A*s and the rest As... with the exception of maths. :frown: I rarely get above a strong C, and it sticks out like a sore thumb!
I want to apply for a dual Politics-History degree, so Maths is pretty unrelated. Do you think it'll hinder my application?
I've got horses and compete heavily in dressage, I've had a job as a stablehand for 3 years but I'm quitting to get a 'real' job and I'm looking to do charity work in the next year. I'm also looking at setting up a business. I read a lot on my subjects and I'm aiming for 90%+ in my A-levels (History, Business, Psychology, and English Lit). Politics clashed with History, sadly :frown:
What are my chances? Should I stop worrying about Maths?
Reply 907
Original post by KristaWinchester
Hi all,
I'm in the middle of my GCSEs, hoping for about 7A*s and the rest As... with the exception of maths. :frown: I rarely get above a strong C, and it sticks out like a sore thumb!
I want to apply for a dual Politics-History degree, so Maths is pretty unrelated. Do you think it'll hinder my application?
I've got horses and compete heavily in dressage, I've had a job as a stablehand for 3 years but I'm quitting to get a 'real' job and I'm looking to do charity work in the next year. I'm also looking at setting up a business. I read a lot on my subjects and I'm aiming for 90%+ in my A-levels (History, Business, Psychology, and English Lit). Politics clashed with History, sadly :frown:

I'd do your best to push maths up to a B if you possibly can to be honest. Work hard, look through past papers to see where it is you're going wrong, talk to your teachers about it. But if you're doing well enough when you start A levels, it's worth a try applying - it's only one of your five choices, and if you don't apply you won't know.
Original post by KristaWinchester
Hi all,

It may be too late to address your problems with Maths (if you have not taken papers then concentrating on this subject during revision may help) and you won't know for sure how you have done until August. I would suggest assessing the position then. Maths is a facilitating subject so in the event it does prove an outlier, I would suggest discussing the option of re-taking the GCSE with your teachers since it is easier to gain the basic competence needed throughout your career at school than to acquire it later.
Original post by BrasenoseAdm
It may be too late to address your problems with Maths (if you have not taken papers then concentrating on this subject during revision may help) and you won't know for sure how you have done until August. I would suggest assessing the position then. Maths is a facilitating subject so in the event it does prove an outlier, I would suggest discussing the option of re-taking the GCSE with your teachers since it is easier to gain the basic competence needed throughout your career at school than to acquire it later.

Generally, if you mess up one subject (say, Maths, for example) but do well at GCSE overall and the subject in question is not being carried-on or relevant to your final degree course choice, does it matter too much?
Original post by ivybridge
Generally, if you mess up one subject (say, Maths, for example) but do well at GCSE overall and the subject in question is not being carried-on or relevant to your final degree course choice, does it matter too much?

No.
Original post by Noble.
No.

Thanks! :smile:
Reply 912
Original post by learner248
Great! Are you going to make a direct application? What are you hoping to study?

Yes I think I will make a direct one, hopefully chinese!
Original post by Isla42
Yes I think I will make a direct one, hopefjully chinese!

OMG same! Haha do you do an A level in Chinese? What are your grades?
Reply 914
OMG same! Haha do you do an A level in Chinese? What are your grades?

Ah cool :smile: No I don't chinese but I'm hoping for 3-4 As and 1-2 Bs
Original post by Isla42
Ah cool :smile: No I don't chinese but I'm hoping for 3-4 As and 1-2 Bs

Oh right cool! What colleges you looking at?
GCSE grades: International Student (USA)
A-Levels: International Student
Course: History and Economics
College: Maybe Pembroke or Balliol or Hertford
I have seen no one applying for Chinese/Oriental Studies, are there any orientalists out there? :smile:

Meeeeeeeeee!
Is anyone here applying for medicine? If so, have you entered any Oxford medicine essay competitions?
How does everyone find their exams? I think I just messed them up. Praying hard to get A*AA, need it to apply for Oxford.How could I did it so badly in the real exam after making all my efforts in the last year.I was too nervous and I have been upset for days.Can anyone guarantee that low As in Chem and Physics won't affect the application? Quite confidant to get average ums higher than 93 in maths tho.

Latest

Trending

Trending