The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Have you came across any factor formula questions on any past papers you've done?

I remember doing 8-10x past papers back in December and rarely saw a question on it.
Original post by XxKingSniprxX
Have you came across any factor formula questions on any past papers you've done?

I remember doing 8-10x past papers back in December and rarely saw a question on it.

The only factor formulae question I recall was on FP3. It required only C3/C4 knowledge to do, I think. But I can't remember a single one on C3.
Original post by XxKingSniprxX

I've seen some questions where you could use them if you wanted to but it wasn't required

Posted from TSR Mobile
https://aeb44e76c1fb598b02a447aec2866c6b846371c4.googledrive.com/host/0B1ZiqBksUHNYXzgxRS15M3dxU28/Practice%20Paper%20A5%20QP%20-%20C3%20Edexcel.pdf

Can someone explain how to simplify the composite function on the very last question of the paper?
Original post by arsenalfc97
https://aeb44e76c1fb598b02a447aec2866c6b846371c4.googledrive.com/host/0B1ZiqBksUHNYXzgxRS15M3dxU28/Practice%20Paper%20A5%20QP%20-%20C3%20Edexcel.pdf

Can someone explain how to simplify the composite function on the very last question of the paper?

For example, 3^log3(9)=3^2=9. The function in the question is a bit trickier but hopefully that helps.
Original post by arsenalfc97

2^-x can be written as 1/2^x

sub g into f = 3/2^logbase2 x -1

2^logbase2 x = just x

when number is powered in the same base they cancel out you can try it on your calculator e.g 123^logbase123 5 = 5

3/x -1 answer
Reply 926
Whats the likeliness of going from a low B to a high A in the next 5 days ? lol
Original post by jmuz
Whats the likeliness of going from a low B to a high A in the next 5 days ? lol

With a fair few past papers, and a lot of attention paid to weak areas (topics for which marks are lost in papers), I'd say it's doable.
The questions tend to be formulaic and predictable.
Original post by humayra.ac
Is this a correct method - If I draw a normal sinx graph, shift it down to -5 as that is where the minimum is, then sin x is either at 0 or -3/2pi. The answer is 3/2pi - why would it not be 0

State the minimum value of 4 sin x + 3 cos x and the smallest positive value of x for which this minimum value occurs.

5 sin(x+0,64) and the min value is -5 (worked out in part a)

Somebodyyyy answer this please......:s-smilie:
Reply 929
Original post by that________guy

image.jpg

Is that what you mean? When sinx =-1 x does not equal 0
Original post by that________guy

I haven't looked at the question, but 0 isn't classed as a positive value so it will be the next value (3pi/2), plus when sin x = -1, x doesn't equal 0
(edited 8 years ago)
is anyone else really good at c3 and really bad at c4 and knows that this c3 paper will be your worst ever and then you will miss out on your A by 1 ums if so - i feel you

on another note - revise
oh lol i realised my silly mistake, thanks for clearing it up !

Original post by somevirtualguy
I haven't looked at the question, but 0 isn't classed as a positive value so it will be the next value (3pi/2), plus when sin x = -1, x doesn't equal 0
thanks for the pic made it clear and i see where i went wrong thanks !

Original post by Ocean3
image.jpg

Is that what you mean? When sinx =-1 x does not equal 0
My plan is to revise C3 for a day solid before the exam , and same for C4 and same for D1

Lol im on a C/B grade standard atm for all three

I need an A in maths this year (got 86% UMS average at AS maths so slightly less pressure) but going up 1/2 grades in a day will be like hell I hope it turns out ok

Ive calculated if I get 90% in D1 I need two mid C's in c3 and c4 .. hope it doesnt come to that would love the A*
Original post by ThePrestigeUK
My plan is to revise C3 for a day solid before the exam , and same for C4 and same for D1

I need an A in maths this year (got 86% UMS average at AS maths so slightly less pressure) but going up 1/2 grades in a day will be like hell I hope it turns out ok

Ive calculated if I get 90% in D1 I need two mid C's in c3 and c4 .. hope it doesnt come to that would love the A*

How are you for timing in C3 and C4?
Perhaps you could try papers in like 70/75 minutes to get through the steps quicker, so you have more time to go over each question in the exams.
Original post by ThePrestigeUK

I have the exact same percentage as you and I totally messed up my M1 exam meaning (70-80 ums ish) so now C4 (consistent C grades) needs to be an A. I hope you ace that D1 exam haha
Original post by FKA Stiglitz
How are you for timing in C3 and C4?
Perhaps you could try papers in like 70/75 minutes to get through the steps quicker, so you have more time to go over each question in the exams.

If I work quickly I can get papers done in 1hr
thats my strong point in maths I work fast

but its my downfall in d1 where 1 mistake can cost you 5 marks
Original post by Artfanatic
I have the exact same percentage as you and I totally messed up my M1 exam meaning (70-80 ums ish) so now C4 (consistent C grades) needs to be an A. I hope you ace that D1 exam haha

http://gyazo.com/08285872d0df0103cde73e2184be926b

how do i do ii part a? I can get an answer of arcsinx=arsincosy but that is only there allow answer, how would I get the preferred answer of arcsinx=pi/2 - y??

Latest