The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Bude8
Teaching myself FP1-3, my god the questions are dull..

Which board?
Original post by Red Fox
Which board?

Edexcel
Original post by Bude8
Edexcel

That's why :tongue:
Original post by Bude8
Edexcel

Hope you're not using the Oxford UP textbooks. They're terrible for self-teachers. Trust me on that one. :frown:

Speaking of Edexcel, the coverage the Maths GCSE lot are getting and the constant PETITIONS being advertised around these forums is really getting on my nerves.
Original post by NikolaT
Hope you're not using the Oxford UP textbooks. They're terrible for self-teachers. Trust me on that one. :frown:

Speaking of Edexcel, the coverage the Maths GCSE lot are getting and the constant PETITIONS being advertised around these forums is really getting on my nerves.

That sweet question... The kids probably just freaked the hell out when they saw a quadratic. To be honest, seeing people make petitions to lower grade boundaries after that makes me think future generations are becoming dumber ._.
Original post by Bude8
That sweet question... The kids probably just freaked the hell out when they saw a quadratic. To be honest, seeing people make petitions to lower grade boundaries after that makes me think future generations are becoming dumber ._.

Hahahaha, the same thing happened with the Higher Maths (AS equiv) exam in Scotland. Even the bloody first minister was speaking about the exam, smh.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I feel like my calculations must be wrong here, since it seems ridiculous, but I think I only need 12 UMS in an applied module this year to get an A* in Maths.

97UMS in C1, 97UMS in C2, 94UMS in M1 = 288UMS at AS

I need 480UMS for the A*, with 180UMS from C3/4.

That leaves a margin of 12UMS for whichever module is left :lolwut:

Someone tell me I'm wrong; I seriously don't believe it.
Original post by MangoFreak
I feel like my calculations must be wrong here, since it seems ridiculous, but I think I only need 12 UMS in an applied module this year to get an A* in Maths.

You're not wrong though :tongue:
Original post by L'Evil Fish
You're not wrong though :tongue:

Hot damn.
I FINISH MY EXAMS ON THURSDAY (aside from my clarinet exam but let's ignore that for now) :-D Can't wait to curl up in my armchair and read a book without worrying about writing another damned essay!
Hot damn.

What's your A2 maths applied module?

Congratulations, as long as you get the 180 in C3/C4 which I doubt you'll have problems with, your A* is in the bag.

While we're on the topic could someone just confirm my own UMS needed? I've never actually 'done the maths' the proper way because I just used symmetry. 80 UMS average over 6 modules to get an A.

C1: 93, C2: 90, S1: 80 achieved last year, means I could get an A with 80/70/67 this year? I'm aiming for 80 in C3, 70 in both M1 (done, 59/75 according to model answers), and C4. That'd get me the A, right?
Original post by NikolaT
Congratulations, as long as you get the 180 in C3/C4 which I doubt you'll have problems with, your A* is in the bag.

While we're on the topic could someone just confirm my own UMS needed? I've never actually 'done the maths' the proper way because I just used symmetry. 80 UMS average over 6 modules to get an A.

C1: 93, C2: 90, S1: 80 achieved last year, means I could get an A with 80/70/67 this year? I'm aiming for 80 in C3, 70 in both M1 (done, 59/75 according to model answers), and C4. That'd get me the A, right?

Yep with 3 ums to spare 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by XxKingSniprxX
What's your A2 maths applied module?

I've done M1-3, and have M4 left (my last exam) on the 24th. Then I've got S1 and D1 from last year also. The exam board decides to put each modules towards either Maths or Further Maths by first maximising the Maths grade, then the Further Maths grade, so I dunno which modules will go towards the A* in Maths.

Does anyone know if they go for the most efficient selection, or if they just put the highest modules towards regular Maths and the rest towards Further?

I have 94UMS in M1, but given those calculations I just did, it would make more sense for S1 or D1 to be put towards the AS Maths instead (83UMS in D1, so that would change the UMS I need for the A* to something like 25, which is still easily attainable, of course), so that M1 can boost my Further UMS. Does the exam board (OCR) think like that?

Original post by NikolaT

Yeah, that should do it, you need 480UMS overall for an A.
Hot damn.

I read this like the lyric is sung in uptown funk

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hmm this thread is nearing 10,000 posts
Should we make a 'Class of '15' thread?
Original post by The Clockwork Apple
Hmm this thread is nearing 10,000 posts
Should we make a 'Class of '15' thread?

We'll make another Year 13

And then class of 15 after results day :biggrin:
Original post by L'Evil Fish