The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Mathematics MPC4 Core 4 - 9th June 2015 [Discussion & unofficial markscheme]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by HennersPD
Thank you i really appreciate your help :smile: are there any questions you'd like help with as I'd like to return the favour :wink:

Hopefully this helps :smile:

IMG_0619.jpg

And yeah, I'm struggling with 7 b) i) on Jan 13! But I think I'll be able to sort it when I look at the mark scheme.
Original post by 2014_GCSE
Hopefully this helps :smile:

IMG_0619.jpg

And yeah, I'm struggling with 7 b) i) on Jan 13! But I think I'll be able to sort it when I look at the mark scheme.

Thank you this really helped :smile:
Ill send you my solution in a minute for that :smile:
guys what shapes could they ask?~~~[vectors]
Rhombus
isosceles triangle
trapeziums
kites
rectangles
squares
perpendicular a.b=0
parallel=a.b=-1
cut put circles in there
maybe use cosine rule/sine rule also given that we find the magnitudes out???
Reply 963
Original post by Chung224
guys what shapes could they ask?~~~[vectors]
Rhombus
isosceles triangle
trapeziums
kites
rectangles
squares
perpendicular a.b=0
parallel=a.b=-1
cut put circles in there
maybe use cosine rule/sine rule also given that we find the magnitudes out???

Parallelograms in general; not just a rhombus.
Reply 964
June 2013 Question 7 anyone?

3 marks but I just do not get it
Original post by amyrah
June 2013 Question 7 anyone?3 marks but I just do not get it

It tells you the largest value that the range of change can be is 1.3

The largest number cos(ANYTHING) can be is 1.
Therefore to get 1.3, A must equal 1.3.

Then you have to find a point where cos() will equal 1 at every 12 hour occurrence. (i.e. when t=0, 12, 24, etc...)

If you draw a cos graph, you will see that this is at Pi/6.
Therefore k = Pi/6

:smile:
Reply 966
It tells you the largest value that the range of change can be is 1.3

The largest number cos(ANYTHING) can be is 1.
Therefore to get 1.3, A must equal 1.3.

Then you have to find a point where cos() will equal 1 at every 12 hour occurrence. (i.e. when t=0, 12, 24, etc...)

If you draw a cos graph, you will see that this is at Pi/6.
Therefore k = Pi/6

:smile:

Hi, thanks for your reply! I get up to the 1.3 part now but not much past that.. So do I make cos(kt)=1/12?
Does anyone know if there have been any recent spec changes at all, because I have been using past papers as my only revision source so if something comes up that isn't on there than I shall not be prepared!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 968
Original post by amyrah
June 2013 Question 7 anyone?

3 marks but I just do not get it

Basically it's modelling the change in height of the tide over a period of time (i.e. rate of change of the height of the tide) as a cosine graph, whereby the maximum and minimum values for this are 1.3 and -1.3 (dh/dt = +/- 1.3).

From the question you know: dh/dt = acos(kt).

From a cosine graph you know that the maximum and minimum points occur at 1 and -1 respectively (i.e. cos = 1 or -1). Therefore a = 1.3 or -1.3. You can consider this as a stretch parallel to the y-axis of SF 1.3 if you like.

k is adjacent to the t in the model and t is being measured on the x-axis. You know the period of a cosine graph is 2pi and the tides occur every 12 hours (i.e. t = 12). This means that k becomes 2pi/12 in order to cancel with the 12 introduced through t so that you end up with cos(2pi) not cos(12).
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 969
Original post by jjsnyder
Does anyone know if there have been any recent spec changes at all, because I have been using past papers as my only revision source so if something comes up that isn't on there than I shall not be prepared!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't worry, any changes to the spec will not affect this year's exam - only next year's and onwards.
Reply 970
Original post by datpr0
Basically it's modelling the change in height of the tide over a period of time (i.e. rate of change of the height of the tide) as a cosine graph, whereby the maximum and minimum values for this are 1.3 and -1.3 (dh/dt = +/- 1.3).

From the question you know: dh/dt = acos(kt).

From a cosine graph you know that the maximum and minimum points occur at 1 and -1 respectively (i.e. cos = 1 or -1). Therefore a = 1.3 or -1.3. You can consider this as a stretch parallel to the y-axis of SF 1.3 if you like.

k is adjacent to the t in the model and t is being measured on the x-axis. You know the period of a cosine graph is 2pi and the tides occur every 12 hours (i.e. t = 12). This means that k becomes 2pi/12 in order to cancel with the 12 introduced through t so that you end up with cos(2pi) not cos(12).

Thank you so much!!!! It was too tricky for me
June 2014, Q4ci - http://prntscr.com/7e7il0
they started in the mark scheme with the opening line

5000pT10=2500qT 5000p^{T-10} = 2500q^T

would this:

5000pT=2500qT+10 5000p^{T} = 2500q^{T+10}

still give the right answer, and if so can someone post a solution using this to start with?
Anybody here who's offer is higher than A*AA?
Reply 973
Original post by edd1234

would this:

still give the right answer, and if so can someone post a solution using this to start with?

I haven't seen the question but it wouldn't because p and q are independent variables. If p = q then it would.
Original post by edd1234

would this:

It's really difficult to solve it in the form they want that way.
Reply 975
Original post by amyrah
Thank you so much!!!! It was too tricky for me

No problem :wink:.
Can someone write out a step by step on June 2014, Q4)C)I) whilst it's been brought up.
Can't do it at all.
Reply 977
Can someone write out a step by step on June 2014, Q4)C)I) whilst it's been brought up.
Can't do it at all.

Sure if you give me about 5 minutes :smile:. I'll edit this post with working.
Original post by datpr0
Sure if you give me about 5 minutes :smile:. I'll edit this post with working.

Brilliant, thank you! :smile:
Reply 979
Original post by edd1234

would this:

The whole point is that the years start from 1991.

As painting V starts counting 10 years after painting W, its value of t since 1991 is T-10 when W's value of t is T.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending