The Student Room Group

BTEC to Uni?

Hi guys,

I'm considering doing a BTEC Level 3 in Business to hopefully get into university. I'm very confused at most universities entry requirements as they all claim to accept BTECs too but I can't imagine actually getting a place at, for example, King's College London with a BTEC.

How do I know which universities I actually have a chance of going to when applying with BTECs?

Any advice will be appreciated :smile:

Thanks
xx
Reply 1
Original post by KimKardashian_
Hi guys,

I'm considering doing a BTEC Level 3 in Business to hopefully get into university. I'm very confused at most universities entry requirements as they all claim to accept BTECs too but I can't imagine actually getting a place at, for example, King's College London with a BTEC.

How do I know which universities I actually have a chance of going to when applying with BTECs?

Any advice will be appreciated :smile:

Thanks
xx

Lmao do a levels, BTECs are not worth it.
Reply 2
95% of universities accept BTECs

This includes KCL who usually ask for DDD in an Extended Diploma, that's what my offer was for CompSci however I chose to go elsewhere.

BTECs are just as good as A levels, in fact they are better for certain subjects that are more vocational in nature (like Business/Management).

Also having a BTEC and a Degree (80%) will make you statistically more employable than having A levels and a Degree (74%) or if you choose not to go to uni there is more chance of you getting a Managerial or Professional job by getting a BTEC (49%) compared to leaving with A levels (45%).

the BTEC in Business is meant to be really good if you are looking to study Business or Management at university and is widely accepted, including top universities, also as I said previously, you will be more employable with it as it is a vocational qualification, A levels are just to get you into uni, BTEC also gets you into uni and is a professionally recognised qualification.

Bath who are ranked 1st in the UK for Business and Management accept the BTEC in either Business, E-Business, IT, Engineering, Public services, H&S or Applied Science with grades of D*DD.

St Andrews are 2nd for Business say they want "three Distinctions to two Distinctions and one Distinction*"
Loughborough are 5th for Business and accept with DDD
Surrey who are ranked 7th for Business (and 4th overall) in the UK accept with D*DD-DDD.

You'll be fine, if not better prepared, why study subjects that arent relevant to what you wan to do, I did a Computing BTEC and now im at uni studying Computer Science and I feel I'm a lot better prepared than if I had done 3 A levels
I studied BTEC Level 3 business and managed to get a conditional offer from all 5 uni's that I applied for. Doing a BTEC will you ahead of the game as you will have more experience in that one subject that you are studying.

I am doing just as well if not better than all my course mates who did A levels. Do not let people put you off doing a BTEC, they are very useful.
Original post by yt7777
95% of universities accept BTECs

This includes KCL who usually ask for DDD in an Extended Diploma, that's what my offer was for CompSci however I chose to go elsewhere.

BTECs are just as good as A levels, in fact they are better for certain subjects that are more vocational in nature (like Business/Management).

Also having a BTEC and a Degree (80%) will make you statistically more employable than having A levels and a Degree (74%) or if you choose not to go to uni there is more chance of you getting a Managerial or Professional job by getting a BTEC (49%) compared to leaving with A levels (45%).

the BTEC in Business is meant to be really good if you are looking to study Business or Management at university and is widely accepted, including top universities, also as I said previously, you will be more employable with it as it is a vocational qualification, A levels are just to get you into uni, BTEC also gets you into uni and is a professionally recognised qualification.

Bath who are ranked 1st in the UK for Business and Management accept the BTEC in either Business, E-Business, IT, Engineering, Public services, H&S or Applied Science with grades of D*DD.

St Andrews are 2nd for Business say they want "three Distinctions to two Distinctions and one Distinction*"
Loughborough are 5th for Business and accept with DDD
Surrey who are ranked 7th for Business (and 4th overall) in the UK accept with D*DD-DDD.

You'll be fine, if not better prepared, why study subjects that arent relevant to what you wan to do, I did a Computing BTEC and now im at uni studying Computer Science and I feel I'm a lot better prepared than if I had done 3 A levels

Thanks so much for your help! I've looked at most places websites and prospectuses but I'm still skeptical on if people actually get offers. Where do you study now, if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks again!
x
Original post by nottreece
I studied BTEC Level 3 business and managed to get a conditional offer from all 5 uni's that I applied for. Doing a BTEC will you ahead of the game as you will have more experience in that one subject that you are studying.

I am doing just as well if not better than all my course mates who did A levels. Do not let people put you off doing a BTEC, they are very useful.

Thanks so much for your reassurance! Which unis did you get offers from, if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks again!
x
Reply 6
Original post by KimKardashian_
Thanks so much for your help! I've looked at most places websites and prospectuses but I'm still skeptical on if people actually get offers. Where do you study now, if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks again!

Yes they do get offers, they treat it on a case by case basis, you dont really get compared to other applicants, if you meet the requirements and have a good PS you should get an offer. me and others from my BTEC class get accepted to 4/5 of our choices.

I now study Computer Science at Royal Holloway, University of London
I got offers from

Nottingham Trent University
University of Derby
Sheffield Hallam University
University of Northampton
University of Huddersfield

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending