The Student Room Group

OCR GCSE Latin Literature Set-texts 2015 Thread!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by StressedByDay
Does anyone have any language analysis on 'The bravery of Mucius Scaevola and Cloelia' and 'Verrrs and Cleomenes'. And how the hell are you supposed to do those 8 mark essay questions? :smile:

I am in exactly the same situation with the 8 markers!!! I have no idea but apparently you're meant to focus on the themes, I have no idea what the themes even are aaha
Hi guys!

I just saw this thread and will be sitting OCR Latin GCSE this year too. I'm sitting Virgil and Pliny. Is anyone else?

P.S. Is there a thread for the language exams?
Original post by HardWorker78615
Hi guys!

I just saw this thread and will be sitting OCR Latin GCSE this year too. I'm sitting Virgil and Pliny. Is anyone else?

Only one vaguely close to just language, but it's more of a general thread.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3056867&p=55145525#post55145525
How would answer this 8 marker : what view of war and heroism does Virgil present in the lines of Aeneid 9 you have read?
Reply 64
Original post by StressedByDay
How would answer this 8 marker : what view of war and heroism does Virgil present in the lines of Aeneid 9 you have read?

Innocence of the young & futility of war?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by spurs9393
Innocence of the young & futility of war?

Posted from TSR Mobile

yes , I presume.
Reply 66
Original post by HardWorker78615
Hi guys!

Im sitting Virgil and Pliny!
Original post by Lot7
Im sitting Virgil and Pliny!

same here!
I, too, am sitting Vergil (Aeneid - Nisus and Euryaus) and Pliny (avunculus meus, the death of pliny the elder, arria tres femines). If anyone has got any tips for me, it'd be much appreciated!
Reply 69
Original post by Foreboding
I, too, am sitting Vergil (Aeneid - Nisus and Euryaus) and Pliny (avunculus meus, the death of pliny the elder, arria tres femines). If anyone has got any tips for me, it'd be much appreciated!

idk I'm dreading it!
I'm also doing Virgil (N&E), and Pliny (avunculus meus, the death of pliny the elder, and arria) has anyone got any analysis notes they could send me? Especially need them for Pliny, as I was rarely in the lesson when we studied him so took very few notes!! Thanks.
Reply 71
hi i was just wondering if anyone had any notes on the cloelia part of Muicus and Cloelia, thanks :smile:!!
Reply 72
I've noticed that Cicero uses some informal/colloquial language eg "arbitrabere," what would be the significance of this?

Posted from TSR Mobile
How is everyone feeling about the Prose exam on wednesday? I'm doing Cicero. With regards to the 8 mark questions they will always be very simple so discussing the characters eg. in Cicero how Verres and Cleomenes are portrayed in contrast to Scaevola and Cloelia so i'd say the best preperation would be to make a list of points for the main characters:smile:
I'm dreading this exam:/ Only just started revising Pliny! How well do we need to know the translation? Will we be asked to translate passages?
Original post by racingfred
I'm dreading this exam:/ Only just started revising Pliny! How well do we need to know the translation? Will we be asked to translate passages?

Yup you'll be given some Latin and asked to translate
Original post by a_jawaid98
Yup you'll be given some Latin and asked to translate

Damn! Have you or anyone else got any notes on Pliny you could send me? Anything you got would be helpful! Thanks.
Reply 77
Hi lads

Everyone ready for Wednesday? I'm doing Cicero- in Verrem and Livy- Mucius and Scaevola.

Feeling ok for it- came here to see what others have down for different sections of analysis! I've learned the texts but am looking to build a little more in depth analysis into my knowledge.

I'm happy to share what I have for different sections of analysis if anyone wants it!
Original post by SUGNA
Hi lads

Everyone ready for Wednesday? I'm doing Cicero- in Verrem and Livy- Mucius and Scaevola.

Feeling ok for it- came here to see what others have down for different sections of analysis! I've learned the texts but am looking to build a little more in depth analysis into my knowledge.

I'm happy to share what I have for different sections of analysis if anyone wants it!

Hello there! We're doing the same texts! I feel OK but my teacher has told us nothing about 8 and 10 markers - had to get the info off a friend and they're doing different texts so I've no clue about any "themes" that exist and have had no practice... :/ so okay, yeah, I'm not feeling okay. BUT I do feel confident about my ability to pick things out of a text!
I've shared this with another latin taker so I felt that this might be beneficial to everyone

Just general tips about literary devices (not specific because they were taking completely different texts to me :smile: )

1 Length of Sentence - short for impact, string of short = hurry along the storyline, many things happening in short space of time

2 Position of words - beginning/end of sentences/phrases, eg. verb at beginning rather than end = emphasis on action
chiasmus - order of words : noun adjective adjective noun (you don't need to know this really) juxtaposition - words/phrases placed next to each other for effect

3 Repetition : most common device!
a) alliteration - repetition of consonants
b) assonance - '' of vowels
c) anaphora - '' of words
d) tricolon - '' carried out three times

4 Vocabulary - choice of word is important eg. onomatopoeic word to convey sound, use of superlatives adds emphasis as well

5 Tense of verb - if there is a switch from past to present tense in the story - it makes it more vivid, as though the reader was there and watching it happen = 'historic present'

Hope it helps somewhat and good luck for tuesday!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending