The Student Room Group

TSR Tennis Society IV

Scroll to see replies

Who are everyone's favourites for Wimbledon? I think Murray and Djokovic would be a great final so I'm hoping they'll be on opposite sides of the draw
Original post by lizzy95
Who are everyone's favourites for Wimbledon? I think Murray and Djokovic would be a great final so I'm hoping they'll be on opposite sides of the draw

I think we'll have to see what effect this has on Novak's confidence, whether he rebounds like the champion he usually is or whether this one really hurts him - I'm sure it'll be the former but it'll be interesting to see. As for wimbledon I think Stan has now got to be a contender, he's already had the first time winner lull so that shouldn't happen again. I can see Murray being a strong contender too, and I don't think you can ever count Roger out.

(Obviously hoping for a Rafa revival to shut the doubters up though)
Original post by LookIts_Liam
I think we'll have to see what effect this has on Novak's confidence, whether he rebounds like the champion he usually is or whether this one really hurts him - I'm sure it'll be the former but it'll be interesting to see. As for wimbledon I think Stan has now got to be a contender, he's already had the first time winner lull so that shouldn't happen again. I can see Murray being a strong contender too, and I don't think you can ever count Roger out.

Would be very interesting if Rafa could show the form of old at Wimbledon again. I think people forget that he's won the title there twice before and he hasn't gone without winning a slam in a season for 10 years, he's definitely not done yet.
Hopefully Djokovic's mental response is similar to last year and I'm happy that Murray is finally back to his best.
Wawrinka is still an enigma, I hope that he can maintain his level and continue to challenge for slams.
However, nothing I've seen this year tells me Roger can win a slam, too many people can beat him at Wimbledon, not just those I've already mentioned.
Nadal has almost no chance at Wimbledon imo. Murray's been playing well and grass is probably his best surface relative to other players so I'd say that he's the favourite. Don't know what to think of Djokovic and Federer's chances.

Nadal will be back(not wimbledon but later in the year going into 2016). Mark my words! You cannot kill the beast.

Yeah I agree with all of this. Djokovic has to have been so broken by this loss. But he's lost a lot of tough, close matches, not least to Rafa in the past so he'll spring back at some point. Don't know if the players feel it, but the transition to grass helps I guess, in making that shift in mindset.

I am too hoping for a revival from Rafa. I'd dearly love for him to at least make the semi final of Wimbledon again, just to show he's still a contender there. He plays Stuttgart this week, so it shows he's looking to get some early practice in to properly prepare for Wimbledon this year.

One last time for me, unbelievably pleased for Stan, been one of my favourites outside Rafa for the past 4 years so it's insane that he's managed to back up that win in Australia over one of the greatest players of all time, with another, likewise over one of the all time greats.
Original post by lizzy95
Would be very interesting if Rafa could show the form of old at Wimbledon again. I think people forget that he's won the title there twice before and he hasn't gone without winning a slam in a season for 10 years, he's definitely not done yet.
Hopefully Djokovic's mental response is similar to last year and I'm happy that Murray is finally back to his best.
Wawrinka is still an enigma, I hope that he can maintain his level and continue to challenge for slams.
However, nothing I've seen this year tells me Roger can win a slam, too many people can beat him at Wimbledon, not just those I've already mentioned.

Yeah, people write him off far too easily - I'm a huge fan so I'm praying for a recovery but this has happened every time he has a lapse and people love to write him off - that being said if he's going to have a shot at Wimbledon he's going to have to play a more aggressive style akin to his '13 US open victory, because there's no doubt that he's lost half a step.

Murray is always a strange one to me because as good as he can play, and despite the 2 GS that he has won, he always seems to struggle and returns to his passive game when he's under pressure, which never really bodes well.

Stan has a shot, and while Roger is underdog I would say that the situation was similar running up to Wimbledon 14 and he almost won then.

I would love to see Nishikori challenging again, although I must say that his match against Tsonga this week was rather disheartening.
All this being said I think that anyone who doesn't pitch Djokovic as favourite in the run up is either a fool or knows something we don't.
Original post by Sirocco11
Yeah I agree with all of this. Djokovic has to have been so broken by this loss. But he's lost a lot of tough, close matches, not least to Rafa in the past so he'll spring back at some point. Don't know if the players feel it, but the transition to grass helps I guess, in making that shift in mindset.

I am too hoping for a revival from Rafa. I'd dearly love for him to at least make the semi final of Wimbledon again, just to show he's still a contender there. He plays Stuttgart this week, so it shows he's looking to get some early practice in to properly prepare for Wimbledon this year.

One last time for me, unbelievably pleased for Stan, been one of my favourites outside Rafa for the past 4 years so it's insane that he's managed to back up that win in Australia over one of the greatest players of all time, with another, likewise over one of the all time greats.

I'm glad Rafa is playing two warm up tournaments this year - last year he lost in the first round of Halle to Dustin Brown and had no prep whatsoever. In stuttgart this week I think he risks having Kohlschrieber in r2 so that's going to be tough...but hopefully he can get a good run through in Queens and if he gets a nice draw at the start of Wimbledon you never know what could happen
Original post by lizzy95

The "not going 10 years without winning a slam" is heavily dictated by all those French Open wins. Take out the French titles and he's only got 5 grand slams - still a great record but he hasn't received the quarter-finals at the last 3 Wimbledons. He's not even highly seeded that he can have an easier run to the final. Likely to have to beat 2-3, possibly 4 strong players to win.
Original post by lizzy95
Disappointed as a Djokovic fan but it was more Stan's brilliance than Djokovic choking. The best man won, privilege to see Stan's shot making and I'm happy that he's been able to win a slam without any naysayers pointing to any asterisks.

Can't hate Stan - if not Djokovic, I'd rather Stan wins than anyone else. It's just annoying because I think Djokovic folded on the day because of the occasion. There was no power in his shots, and he played so deep and defensive. When these two play in GS, the match always seems to be in Stan's hands and it doesn't have to be that way. Djokovic needs to play with more aggression even against a heavy hitter.
Murray and Djokovic are co favourites for Wimbledon with Federer just slightly behind. Stan will not win Wimbledon because grass is by far his worst surface. He will most likely lose early there.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Xotol
Can't hate Stan - if not Djokovic, I'd rather Stan wins than anyone else. It's just annoying because I think Djokovic folded on the day because of the occasion. There was no power in his shots, and he played so deep and defensive. When these two play in GS, the match always seems to be in Stan's hands and it doesn't have to be that way. Djokovic needs to play with more aggression even against a heavy hitter.

I think other than getting more first serves in Standard just suffocated him and wouldn't allow him to play his game. Stan just hit too many winners and was too good for him, maybe if he'd managed to hold serve in the 4th it would've been different but unless Stan dropped his level, I don't see how anyone could've beaten him
I think we talk about Djokovic, Federer and Nadal all capable of playing unbeatable, God-mode tennis, but it seems as if Stan can reach that level too. We saw it against Federer, much of his match against Tsonga, and for the last 3 sets against Djokovic today. I always thought of Stan as a talented, technically adept player, but never thought he would be able to execute at the very highest level the way he's shown in his two Grand Slam wins. I mean, hitting a backhand winner around the net post under immense pressure in a Grand Slam final? Get outta here.
Original post by Sirocco11
I think we talk about Djokovic, Federer and Nadal all capable of playing unbeatable, God-mode tennis, but it seems as if Stan can reach that level too. We saw it against Federer, much of his match against Tsonga, and for the last 3 sets against Djokovic today. I always thought of Stan as a talented, technically adept player, but never thought he would be able to execute at the very highest level the way he's shown in his two Grand Slam wins. I mean, hitting a backhand winner around the net post under immense pressure in a Grand Slam final? Get outta here.

Seems to be motivated by pressure rather than lose because of it. Hence he performs better against top opposition than average.
If Tsonga plays like he did the last weeks knowing his talents on grass I would tip him to reach the semis at least. Still I'll say a Murray-Fed final, with hopefully Fed picking up the final slam of his career.
Just to update the rankings for key players (apologies if my key players differ from yours)..

Top 3 unchanged..

Warwinka climbs to 4th.
Nikishori stays 5th.
Raonic falls to 8th.
Nadal falls to 10th.
Dimitrov stays 11th.
Tomic and Kyrigos are at record high's of 24 and 25.

Stuttgart this week has turned from clay to grass and sees Nadal and Tomic.
Original post by hskjlclcn
If Tsonga plays like he did the last weeks knowing his talents on grass I would tip him to reach the semis at least. Still I'll say a Murray-Fed final, with hopefully Fed picking up the final slam of his career.

I don't see Federer making the final again this year but maybe he's got one last Wimbledon in him. I'm very interested to see what players like Kyrgios and Kokkinakis will do, the grass may accommodate more giant killings this year too. Definitely looking forward to the draw with all the new rankings, the early rounds will be very interesting
Original post by lizzy95
I don't see Federer making the final again this year but maybe he's got one last Wimbledon in him. I'm very interested to see what players like Kyrgios and Kokkinakis will do, the grass may accommodate more giant killings this year too. Definitely looking forward to the draw with all the new rankings, the early rounds will be very interesting

Federer has never lost a SF at Wimbledon so if he makes it to that stage, he will most likely reach the final. So in order for him to not make the final, I think he has to lose before the SF.
Original post by The_K1NG
Federer has never lost a SF at Wimbledon so if he makes it to that stage, he will most likely reach the final. So in order for him to not make the final, I think he has to lose before the SF.

With each passing year it gets harder and harder so a lot would have to go his way to make the final let alone win it. He'll need a favourable draw but if he comes up against Djokovic or Murray I don't see him hanging with them over 5 sets
Original post by lizzy95
With each passing year it gets harder and harder so a lot would have to go his way to make the final let alone win it. He'll need a favourable draw but if he comes up against Djokovic or Murray I don't see him hanging with them over 5 sets

He will beat Murray but will struggle against Djokovic.

Quick Reply

Latest