The Student Room Group

M1 OCR (Not MEI) Exam - 9/06/2015

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by buckeybarnes
how do you know whether constant of integration =0 when you're integrating the equation if you're doing an SVA question?

Hi. When you integrate, you use a set of values you know from the information given/ you worked out to get the constant.
Original post by MsFahima
Hi. When you integrate, you use a set of values you know from the information given/ you worked out to get the constant.

Hey :smile:

Do you mind helping me with the last part of the last question . 7iv.

Reply 182
Original post by Super199
Hey :smile:

Do you mind helping me with the last part of the last question . 7iv.

Which paper? :smile:
Original post by Lilli1997
image.jpg

Pic might be sideways. Hope it makes sense!

thank you!
Yo guys, does anyone have any useful info/technique for pulleys/friction/rough inclined planes. When are we meant to use F-f=ma? I'm finding core 3 and core 4 much easier than m1 as I've done a tonne of it (and I really want that A*), but am really bad at m1 (barely scraping b's/low a's). Any advice on how to approach tonight/tommorrow for revision on these topics. Thanks
Which paper? :smile:

June 08 sorry :smile:
Original post by Sonnyjimisgod
Yo guys, does anyone have any useful info/technique for pulleys/friction/rough inclined planes. When are we meant to use F-f=ma? I'm finding core 3 and core 4 much easier than m1 as I've done a tonne of it (and I really want that A*), but am really bad at m1 (barely scraping b's/low a's). Any advice on how to approach tonight/tommorrow for revision on these topics. Thanks

Yeah same haha. C3/C4 is a lot better haha
Reply 187

Working on it! :smile:
Reply 188
I'm struggling with Q5 ii) unfortunatley. For Q5)i) The area under the graph is the displacement so we can work that out easily. (3*20)/2 = 30.

I'll tag @kawehi to help you out. I'm sorry!

Do you guys still need help with this? Sorry for the late reply, I've been out all day :smile:
Reply 189
Original post by kawehi
Do you guys still need help with this? Sorry for the late reply, I've been out all day :smile:

Yes please! :smile:
Reply 190

So for the first part. Show that Q travels at a constant speed.. if a=0 then that shows v is constant. For this, we do f = ma just for Particle Q. So f = ma down the plane gives us: -Fr + 0.2gSin(45) = 0.2a. Fr is 1.386 and 0.2gSin(45) is 1.386.

-1.386 + 1.386 = 0.

0=0.2a

therefore a = 0.

Attachment not found

Next part:

1433702228155.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 191
Original post by buckeybarnes

I'm struggling with Q5 ii) unfortunatley. For Q5)i) The area under the graph is the displacement so we can work that out easily. (3*20)/2 = 30.

I'll tag @kawehi to help you out. I'm sorry!

Ok, so I'm guessing that you guys got the first part, and found that the first triangle was = 30?

So, since the lorry is leaving from one spot, then returning to that same spot after a little journey, you know that the total displacement has to equal zero. This means that you can set the 2 triangles (one of them is vaguely parallelogram-y, but it's not too bad to work out) equal to eachother!

We found the first one already, so we've got half of the equation done.

30=

Now for the slightly more tricky bit:
4m1.PNG
The q says that the lorry accelerates up to v=3, then remains at v=3 for 4 seconds, then decelerates back down to v=0, where it has returned to the weighbridge or whatever.

This means that you know the flat bit of the parallelogram. I've labelled it on that diagram! It's just a rectangle of 3x4.

Now we have the 2 chunks of area on either side of that rectangle. We can just pretend that the rectangle in the middle doesn't exist, and then suddenly you just have a triangle that's base = t and h = 3.

So we can sew it all together to get:

30 = 3*4 + (1/2)*3*t
t=12

To get the total time elapsed, we already have the t=60 that was given on the diagram, so it's just a matter of adding 4 and t to that, giving 76.

PS, can't be bothered to find the mark scheme rn, so just assuming this is right haha

Do you need help with part iii) too?
Reply 192
Original post by kawehi
Ok, so I'm guessing that you guys got the first part, and found that the first triangle was = 30?

So, since the lorry is leaving from one spot, then returning to that same spot after a little journey, you know that the total displacement has to equal zero. This means that you can set the 2 triangles (one of them is vaguely parallelogram-y, but it's not too bad to work out) equal to eachother!

We found the first one already, so we've got half of the equation done.

30=

Now for the slightly more tricky bit:
4m1.PNG
The q says that the lorry accelerates up to v=3, then remains at v=3 for 4 seconds, then decelerates back down to v=0, where it has returned to the weighbridge or whatever.

This means that you know the flat bit of the parallelogram. I've labelled it on that diagram! It's just a rectangle of 3x4.

Now we have the 2 chunks of area on either side of that rectangle. We can just pretend that the rectangle in the middle doesn't exist, and then suddenly you just have a triangle that's base = t and h = 3.

So we can sew it all together to get:

30 = 3*4 + (1/2)*3*t
t=12

To get the total time elapsed, we already have the t=60 that was given on the diagram, so it's just a matter of adding 4 and t to that, giving 76.

PS, can't be bothered to find the mark scheme rn, so just assuming this is right haha

Do you need help with part iii) too?

Thank you very much. I forgot that the displacement has to equal zero. Thanks again!

PRSOM :h:
Reply 193
Thank you very much. I forgot that the displacement has to equal zero. Thanks again!

PRSOM :h:

No problem haha :colondollar:
Original post by Sonnyjimisgod

I'm assiming for many of us this is the last exam. It may be good tomorrow to do a group online revision session, starting 9am although you can join when you want. If we all work on the same question and give ourselves an allocated time per question before sending what we have done. Wait 2 minutes for all answers to come through Then we can see which topics we generally need help on and all focus on them. Just a suggestion. Anyone agree?
I know we will almost definitely do papers we have done before but practice makes perfect!
Original post by Lilli1997
I'm assiming for many of us this is the last exam. It may be good tomorrow to do a group online revision session, starting 9am although you can join when you want. If we all work on the same question and give ourselves an allocated time per question before sending what we have done. Wait 2 minutes for all answers to come through Then we can see which topics we generally need help on and all focus on them. Just a suggestion. Anyone agree?
I know we will almost definitely do papers we have done before but practice makes perfect!

Sounds good to me :smile:
Reply 196
Good luck everybody tomorrow! Let's also after the exam compare our grade boundaries predictions.
(edited 8 years ago)
Sounds good to me :smile:

I have an exam this afternoon, but will join in after at about 4pm! :smile:
Reply 198
So does anybody have anything that they are struggling with?
Just to clarify, when asked for the 'contact force' this is the resultant of the normal contact force and friction?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending