The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 History 6HI03/C2 - USA - June 8th 2015 Thread!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by elliemarling
My paragraphs would be:

- Failed government policies (main cause)
- Banking system
- Unequal Distribution of Wealth
- Wall Street Crash (more of a symptom than a cause)

Link the other paragraphs back to failed government policies to cement the fact that it was the main cause

Can you sum up the failed government policies during the 1920s. Know about the tariffs and taxes but not sure on others
Original post by LukeLefty
Hi y'all.

If for a Question A I got the KKK for example (how impactful were the KKK) , would it be alright to do three paragraphs with three examples in each paragraph? So for example:

Political impact:

Six Governorships

Two Georgian Senators

Cost Al Smith the Democratic nomination

Cultural impact:

5 million members in 1925

The Birth of a Nation

Washington D.C march of 1928

Third Para-???

Heeelp :frown:

Include some counter argument's. Mention how KKK membership may have been 5 million in 1925, however membership fell massively due to internal divisions and corruption in the orginisation. By 1930 membership was only at 30,000 as a result, so really you can say that its perceived influence was more White Protestants buying into their fear mongering tactics, they weren't fully behind the cause.
Original post by Frank Costello
Can you sum up the failed government policies during the 1920s. Know about the tariffs and taxes but not sure on others

You could also talk about the lack of bank regulation, laisez faire economics allowed for failing banks to get worse and the lack of regulation meant it was easier for banks to loan out on credit which although was good in the short term (causing the economic boom) in the long term the loaned out too much and people couldnt pay it back, helping cause the depression
Original post by sarahalouane
You could also talk about the lack of bank regulation, laisez faire economics allowed for failing banks to get worse and the lack of regulation meant it was easier for banks to loan out on credit which although was good in the short term (causing the economic boom) in the long term the loaned out too much and people couldnt pay it back, helping cause the depression

Thankyou!

Yeah of course.

So, tariffs and taxation are given.

- Failure to regulate the banking system was fundamental to its downfall. No Federal Deposit System so when the Crash hit, it caused a run on the banks and lack of confidence. Failure to monitor it similarly meant that that the banks weren't managed well at all and money was just loaned out to anyone, even if they couldn't pay it back. This caused many banks to fail.

- Agriculture was not aided at all. Laissez-faire policies prevented sufficient government intervention and the McNary-Haugen Bill (government sell farm produce abroad for best price) was consistently rejected as it went against the Republican self-help policies. Other polices such as Caper-Volstead and Grain Futures Trading Act did not provide sufficient relief and the faming industry continued to suffer

- Campaign against unions was also limited in success. Whilst it did promote businesses to grow, it also meant that workers didn't receive proper wages/working conditions. Because of this, A) it helped to cause unequal distribution of wealth as the poor suffered whilst rich benefitted and B) disposable income was lower than production and real wages did not rise with output levels. Due to both of these, many workers couldn't afford the durable goods and those who could had already bought them by 1927. This helped cause overproduction.
Yeah of course.

So, tariffs and taxation are given.

- Failure to regulate the banking system was fundamental to its downfall. No Federal Deposit System so when the Crash hit, it caused a run on the banks and lack of confidence. Failure to monitor it similarly meant that that the banks weren't managed well at all and money was just loaned out to anyone, even if they couldn't pay it back. This caused many banks to fail.

- Agriculture was not aided at all. Laissez-faire policies prevented sufficient government intervention and the McNary-Haugen Bill (government sell farm produce abroad for best price) was consistently rejected as it went against the Republican self-help policies. Other polices such as Caper-Volstead and Grain Futures Trading Act did not provide sufficient relief and the faming industry continued to suffer

- Campaign against unions was also limited in success. Whilst it did promote businesses to grow, it also meant that workers didn't receive proper wages/working conditions. Because of this, A) it helped to cause unequal distribution of wealth as the poor suffered whilst rich benefitted and B) disposable income was lower than production and real wages did not rise with output levels. Due to both of these, many workers couldn't afford the durable goods and those who could had already bought them by 1927. This helped cause overproduction.

Thankyou, would love causes of depression to be on but its came up last 3 years, unless they just like asking about it
How likely does everyone think that a question on the economic, social and political effects of ww1 (unit 2) will come up? A direct unit 2 question has never been asked before, according to the past papers...
Thankyou, would love causes of depression to be on but its came up last 3 years, unless they just like asking about it

I would love Impact of WWI, anything social/political or something about the 1920s policies.

I'm so bad with the last Chapter, I haven't even revised it. I think I should maybe go over it because I have a feeling that the economic impact of ww2 will come up
Original post by edielamorna
How likely does everyone think that a question on the economic, social and political effects of ww1 (unit 2) will come up? A direct unit 2 question has never been asked before, according to the past papers...

that's what my teacher was saying...hopefully it will! i've revised it like crazy so i have my fingers crossed!
Reply 229
I would love Impact of WWI, anything social/political or something about the 1920s policies.

I'm so bad with the last Chapter, I haven't even revised it. I think I should maybe go over it because I have a feeling that the economic impact of ww2 will come up

I've only revised up til 1933 how much of a risk is that because could potentially two questions come up in part A that are after 1933?

Posted from TSR Mobile
that's what my teacher was saying...hopefully it will! i've revised it like crazy so i have my fingers crossed!

I would be SO happy! I haven't spent much time at all on unit 8, but I'm worried if one part A question is purely focused on women, and the next is on unit8 then I'll be completely stuck!

How likely does anyone think it is that a question could be wholly focused on women? Because the actual textbook doesn't have much content.
Original post by JoshH3
I've only revised up til 1933 how much of a risk is that because could potentially two questions come up in part A that are after 1933?

Posted from TSR Mobile

i think there is a very small chance....opposition to roosevelt/mccarthyism have been quite recent and there has never been a question about impact of wwi nor women so im holding out for one of those.

causes of the boom came up last year along with mccarthyism.

i think for chapter 5, it will be about hoover.
Original post by edielamorna
I would be SO happy! I haven't spent much time at all on unit 8, but I'm worried if one part A question is purely focused on women, and the next is on unit8 then I'll be completely stuck!

How likely does anyone think it is that a question could be wholly focused on women? Because the actual textbook doesn't have much content.

I posted this earlier in the thread, this is what i would write for women:

Women would probably be judging how successful the movement was throughout the 1920s so you want to be judging the positives and negatives :

- Legislation - Obviously the 19th Amendment and the Shepperd-Towner Act 1921. Then basically talk about the lack of government aid to women, especially in regard to abortions/birth control. Equal Rights Amendment was not passed until 1972.

- Social impact - More jobs opportunities, beauty salons, cosmetic industry boomed and more women were getting involved in politics HOWEVER most work was demeaning and underpaid, lack of minimum wage/restricted labour hours, lack of university placements (40% general and 5% medical) and only women in political power or high paying jobs like doctors, lawyers, etc.

- Splinters in the movement - Even before the war the movement was divided, however, the nationalism that came with WWI helped draw the movement together. However, after the passing of 19th Amendment, women failed to agree on a common motive. Older feminists criticised the flappers for their materialistic nature as they believed that their concern for appearance only solidified the importance to please men, yet the flappers disagreed and labelled themselves a "new breed of feminists"

OVERALL - movement was more of a success for individual women such as Nellie Tayloe Ross who was the first woman elected governor of state in 1924. Failure to unite the movement meant that little could be done to further the cause as any protest wasn't united and failed to reach national attention. Job opportunities increased and women working raised 25% after the war but in bad jobs and women were still expected to quit work after marriage.
Reply 233
Original post by JoshH3

Posted from TSR Mobile

They wont ask two questions on after 1933 I don't think
Original post by DarcieT
sorry i meant Part B , but isnt part A about the New deal though aswell like in 2012 the supreme court nor other critics had an impact on the new deal?

Oh yeah aha, only opposition to the new deal! :smile: however this has come up twice before so unlikely this year

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sarahalouane
WIN_20150607_170126.jpg
this is my plan for immigration, hope it helps! :smile:

Hiya, do you have a plan for post ww2, and anything around that (apart from mccathyism etc). thanks!
Original post by emilyh.
This is so good! Well done! Was this a real question from an exam or a made up question?

Thank you! My history teacher made lots of potential questions for the exam so just done the most daunting haha think it's a possibility though!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I posted this earlier in the thread, this is what i would write for women:

Women would probably be judging how successful the movement was throughout the 1920s so you want to be judging the positives and negatives :

- Legislation - Obviously the 19th Amendment and the Shepperd-Towner Act 1921. Then basically talk about the lack of government aid to women, especially in regard to abortions/birth control. Equal Rights Amendment was not passed until 1972.

- Social impact - More jobs opportunities, beauty salons, cosmetic industry boomed and more women were getting involved in politics HOWEVER most work was demeaning and underpaid, lack of minimum wage/restricted labour hours, lack of university placements (40% general and 5% medical) and only women in political power or high paying jobs like doctors, lawyers, etc.

- Splinters in the movement - Even before the war the movement was divided, however, the nationalism that came with WWI helped draw the movement together. However, after the passing of 19th Amendment, women failed to agree on a common motive. Older feminists criticised the flappers for their materialistic nature as they believed that their concern for appearance only solidified the importance to please men, yet the flappers disagreed and labelled themselves a "new breed of feminists"

OVERALL - movement was more of a success for individual women such as Nellie Tayloe Ross who was the first woman elected governor of state in 1924. Failure to unite the movement meant that little could be done to further the cause as any protest wasn't united and failed to reach national attention. Job opportunities increased and women working raised 25% after the war but in bad jobs and women were still expected to quit work after marriage.

Wow thank you!!
Reply 239
Do people genuinely think women could come up? Seems like there's not really enough on it...
Plus, looking at past questions, it seems they repeat a lot, so idk if they'll just add a new one in?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending