The Student Room Group

What social class am I?

This came up recently at school during and english lesson... We were just chating about the class system in a book and then what we would consider our selves to be. I said, I think I'm lower-middle or just lower to be honest.

I know this is something very stupid to worry about and doesn't change me as a person but I wonder what social class I really am.

My mother is a senior teacher, her father was an engineer and her mother a secretary. I suppose, I would consider her family very working class.

My dad is a manager at the council offices, his dad ran the family business of importing stuff and his mother was a teacher for a while after university but then she gave up work. My dad went to a private boarding school, and most of the other family members are oxford degree holders and barristers and all that. So I suppose they are middle class.

We live in a pretty nice cottagey type house in the country thats not huge but not small either. Which is in a pretty expensive and in demand location compared to the local area.

Oh and I go to a state school although parents disagree whether this should happen.

I lean to being more like my dads family, with the same accent and tastes.

So what would you think??
I really do hope that I haven't come across as up myself haha!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
This came up recently at school during and english lesson... We were just chating about the class system in a book and then what we would consider our selves to be. I said, I think I'm lower-middle or just lower to be honest.

I know this is something very stupid to worry about and doesn't change me as a person but I wonder what social class I really am.

My mother is a senior teacher, her father was an engineer and her mother a secretary. I suppose, I would consider her family very working class.

My dad is a manager at the council offices, his dad ran the family business of importing stuff and his mother was a teacher for a while after university but then she gave up work. My dad went to a private boarding school, and most of the other family members are oxford degree holders and barristers and all that. So I suppose they are middle class.

We live in a pretty nice cottagey type house in the country thats not huge but not small either. Which is in a pretty expensive and in demand location compared to the local area.

Oh and I go to a state school although parents disagree whether this should happen.

I lean to being more like my dads family, with the same accent and tastes.

So what would you think??
I really do hope that I haven't come across as up myself haha!

You're middle class dude.
Middle / Upper middle class.

B - C1 / Group 2 - 4

"Working class" is far below middle, not sure how you can consider anyone working class if they went to a university.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by SotonianOne

B - C1 / Group 2 - 4

"Working class" is far below middle, not sure how you can consider anyone working class if they went to a university.

I went to university and I am definitely working class.
Reply 4
I'm not sure why you'd even consider being lower class. SotonianOne is right.

Anyway, nowadays class or social standing is based more around your combined household income and the sum value of your assets. The type of work that your parents do doesn't strictly determine your class.

B - C1 / Group 2 - 4

Hahahaha, you can go to Man Met to study some pointless degree without any hope of every paying off your debt/actually getting a job in your field of study.

Does that somehow, magically boost you up to middle class?
Reply 6
Middle class - not even a question.
Middle class; for the record teaching isn't considered a working class thing, at least as far as I know lol.
Middle class.
How are teachers not workers?

The working class doesn't have to be, like, miners, or factory workers. Doctors, teachers, and most professions requiring an education are working class.

Your mother is working class, you can probably consider your father middle class.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by MangoFreak

The working class doesn't have to be, like, miners, or factory workers. Doctors, teachers, and most professions requiring an education are working class.

Thats ... that's not how it works.

By your logic if working class requires someone to work then does the underclass require someone to be underground?
Thats ... that's not how it works.

By your logic if working class requires someone to work then does the underclass require someone to be underground?

I have no idea what the "underclass" is, but that's certainly not my logic.

It's not like there's any definitive, widely-accepted definition of any class, anyway. We'd have to agree on that. I hold to the Marxist definition of classes, you obviously do not.
You are the gap between the two d's in the middle of "middle" class.
La middle classe
Original post by AdamskiUK
Hahahaha, you can go to Man Met to study some pointless degree without any hope of every paying off your debt/actually getting a job in your field of study.

Does that somehow, magically boost you up to middle class?

Well that's utter *******s! I am working class, went to good uni, got good degree, good job, financially thriving, looking to buy my first home.Just because you're born working class doesn't mean you can't achieve anything.
It's wierd that because of classism a lot of people seem to like being known as working class when like the majority of Brits, they are middle class.

Your parents own property and working in the public sector will have average/above average wages so i'd say your more of less the typical middle class Englander.
I have no idea what the "underclass" is, but that's certainly not my logic.

It's not like there's any definitive, widely-accepted definition of any class, anyway. We'd have to agree on that. I hold to the Marxist definition of classes, you obviously do not.

Underclass is used to describe the unemployed/those living off welfare.

Were you a kipper previously or have i mixed you up with somebody else?

Your mother is working class, you can probably consider your father middle class.

...Then who exactly is not in the working class? Unemployed people? Because even Elizabeth Windsor works.
Middle class
Original post by Rakas21
Underclass is used to describe the unemployed/those living off welfare.

Were you a kipper previously or have i mixed you up with somebody else?

Oh, well I'm definitely not a fan of that definition :tongue:

As in, a UKIP supporter? No, though I was a Liberal MP in the MHoC like a year ago, maybe that's where you remember me from?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending