The Student Room Group

AQA English Language and Literature A Unit 3

Hi guys!
Thought i'd make a thread for the ELLA3 exam next Thursday! Section A is comparative analysis and Section B is production task - I'm doing Cupcakes and Kalashnikovs.
Anyone else doing this exam, feel free to comment any questions or predictions on the exam, and i'll also try to help! I'm really scared for this exam but i'm only thinking positively in the way that this years exams for A Levels are the last ones in this specification, so they should do nice questions! I resat a few AS exams last month, made predictions on 2 of them and both predictions were correct! So, let's hope that if anyone has any predictions for this exam that they are correct!
Good luck guys

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by atiyaaloveszaynx
Hi guys!
Thought i'd make a thread for the ELLA3 exam next Thursday! Section A is comparative analysis and Section B is production task - I'm doing Cupcakes and Kalashnikovs.
Anyone else doing this exam, feel free to comment any questions or predictions on the exam, and i'll also try to help! I'm really scared for this exam but i'm only thinking positively in the way that this years exams for A Levels are the last ones in this specification, so they should do nice questions! I resat a few AS exams last month, made predictions on 2 of them and both predictions were correct! So, let's hope that if anyone has any predictions for this exam that they are correct!
Good luck guys

Hey am doing the same paper as well. I am really worried about section B . I find the Cupcakes production really hard to do like i just don't get it at all.
Original post by nyash96
Hey am doing the same paper as well. I am really worried about section B . I find the Cupcakes production really hard to do like i just don't get it at all.

Hey, yeah I am too! I'm alright at production but when its on something written years ago that we have to follow as a frame, I'm rubbish! I'm really dreading section B as I haven't even covered any of the 40 articles - we've been taught 9 and 4 of them have already been in the exams so that's great. I don't understand how we are supposed to adapt the text then rewrite it from today's perspective. I think the best way is to write some of the commentary in the planning time before you write the production that way you know what to write for it and it helps you with how to structure the task. Ugh I'm scared

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by atiyaaloveszaynx
Hey, yeah I am too! I'm alright at production but when its on something written years ago that we have to follow as a frame, I'm rubbish! I'm really dreading section B as I haven't even covered any of the 40 articles - we've been taught 9 and 4 of them have already been in the exams so that's great. I don't understand how we are supposed to adapt the text then rewrite it from today's perspective. I think the best way is to write some of the commentary in the planning time before you write the production that way you know what to write for it and it helps you with how to structure the task. Ugh I'm scared

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have just been re-reading the articles and learning the key points about the subject. For example i read the article about Princess Diana and i noted the key points like she was married to Charles but it was an arranged marriage as they did not really like each other. Charles was having an affair with Camilla .. you could try that. I have a feeling this year the articles maybe from Interviews and Icons but then again i might be wrong.
Original post by nyash96
I have just been re-reading the articles and learning the key points about the subject. For example i read the article about Princess Diana and i noted the key points like she was married to Charles but it was an arranged marriage as they did not really like each other. Charles was having an affair with Camilla .. you could try that. I have a feeling this year the articles maybe from Interviews and Icons but then again i might be wrong.

Yeah I don't engage with the articles so I give up reading them. Ooh yeah I'll have to try that, I had a feeling interviews and icons could come up and so did my teacher. Hopefully war doesn't because that's come up 3 timez

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't think you can make predictions for this exam tbh. I'm just rereading the articles and looking over context but I hope it's interviews and icons because I find that easier to recast.
Hey for the comparative analysis what do you think is the best way to approach it?
The best way to approach it is to know your key terms what they mean and examples like oxymoron and that, you can't do much for it as its unseen but make sure you have a structure plan for when you're in the exam
(edited 8 years ago)
Regarding the comparative task, how do you structure your answer I normally do the introduction then i do four paragraphs comparing the texts, i then leave my conclusion and do section B, then at the end if i have a lot of time, which i normally do i bash out another two paragraphs and then my conclusion. Does anyone else have a set structure like this?
Original post by Gerrard24
Regarding the comparative task, how do you structure your answer I normally do the introduction then i do four paragraphs comparing the texts, i then leave my conclusion and do section B, then at the end if i have a lot of time, which i normally do i bash out another two paragraphs and then my conclusion. Does anyone else have a set structure like this?

Comparing is worth less marks I swear
Original post by english901
Comparing is worth less marks I swear

How do you structure yours then? Don't forget on section B you have a word limit, this prevents you from carrying on. I normally write around one and a half sides of A4 for the task, then three paragraphs for the commentary.
How do you structure yours then? Don't forget on section B you have a word limit, this prevents you from carrying on. I normally write around one and a half sides of A4 for the task, then three paragraphs for the commentary.

GASP (genre,audience,subject,purpose) intro maybe 4 or five paragraphs with comparison within those, then a conclusion. For section b I normally write about the same as you
Yes, i normally do that within my introduction, never heard of 'GASP' before though. What do you write within you conclusion, i always struggle with that, never really understand what to write in it.
Do yous use an anchor method or integrated method?
Yes, i normally do that within my introduction, never heard of 'GASP' before though. What do you write within you conclusion, i always struggle with that, never really understand what to write in it.

GASP is really helpful tbh. I just summarise everything so say the question is about attitudes I'll be like all three texts present attitudes in a positive way or whatever it is, conclusions are better than introductions lol
Original post by CarolineC96
Do yous use an anchor method or integrated method?

Definitely integrated
Original post by english901
Definitely integrated

Yea that's why I use as well, we've been advised to aim to write at least 4 sides of file paper
Original post by CarolineC96
Yea that's why I use as well, we've been advised to aim to write at least 4 sides of file paper

I never follow that because it varies for people's writing, in the exam if you have talked about all of the language framework you'll be fine regardless of how many sides you've done
What's integrated and anchored method? Seems ive drawn the short straw regarding teaching here lol
What's integrated and anchored method? Seems ive drawn the short straw regarding teaching here lol

Integrated method is using all three texts equally whereas anchor method is mainly like focus on one text and link the other two text into that one, integrated method is better and easier to do under pressure

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending