The Student Room Group

GCSE WJEC LATIN LITERATURE EXAM BOOKS AND WRITERS -8Th June

Is anyone doing Books and Writes for the WJEC Latin exam? If so how are you revising for it?
Reply 1
anyone?! gosh im dreading this exam....
Reply 2
Hello, yes I am!

Take a look on the cambridge latin course website, there are teachers notes that provide context and some analysis too. I am also annotating some clean copies of the poems and making posters for all the main themes (so reasons for writing, censorship, plagiarism, recitations etc.)

Best of luck tomorrow!
I'm doing this too. For themes, I've studied Growing Up In Rome (Theme B). I know what the texts are about and can comment on the Latin used well enough...

If anyone else is doing Theme B as I am, I'm predicting that Juvenal and Petronius will come up (one super easy one and one harder one). They could repeat Pro Caelio, but I slightly doubt it. Obviously, for the general question, you can say anything about almost each one (even if it's the opposite!)

Martial may come up as well (10.62).

Good luck to everyone else!

It's like hardly anyone who does Latin uses TSR though. xD

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Just got back from this exam and managed to screw it up completely by doing the wrong section for 40 minutes.
Excuse me while I slam my head repeatedly into a wall.
:facepalm:

Does anyone know how they mark papers when someone has answered both sections? What grade can I hope to achieve if I get an A on every other paper (I think I managed around 15 marks on this paper on either section)?

EDIT: Just realised you get two separate qualifications - one for Latin Language, and one for Latin Literature, so it's not a case of "every other paper" but just the next one. At least I'll have a good grade in Language.

Gah, this was one of my stronger subjects so I'm pretty annoyed with myself, but oh well.

How did you guys find it?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Blippety
Just got back from this exam and managed to screw it up completely by doing the wrong section for 40 minutes.
Excuse me while I slam my head repeatedly into a wall.
:facepalm:

Does anyone know how they mark papers when someone has answered both sections? What grade can I hope to achieve if I get an A on every other paper (I think I managed around 15 marks on this paper on either section)?

Gah, this was one of my stronger subjects so I'm pretty annoyed with myself, but oh well.

How did you guys find it?

Did u even study both!!? And they will probably mark both and give u the mark for the best?

I did books and writers and found it quite difficult. Especially the ten marker at the end!
Reply 6
Original post by RJG123
Did u even study both!!? And they will probably mark both and give u the mark for the best?

I did books and writers and found it quite difficult. Especially the ten marker at the end!

Nope, I only studied Growing Up In Rome; that's why I said I did the "wrong" section. I spent most of my time doing the section I didn't study.
Yeah, I'm that stupid. :P

Weirdly enough though, I actually found it reasonably easy to answer the 10 marker at the end of the Books and Writers section, or at least part of it.
I mean, I had no idea what that poem was about, but I just went into detail on the repeated 'ss' sounds and everything that connotes (frustration/violence, as in hissing animals; snakes, as in Cupid taunting people through forbidden love and temptation). I also wrote a bit about Minerva and what she's associated with, and how she is contrasted with Venus.
Original post by Blippety
Nope, I only studied Growing Up In Rome; that's why I said I did the "wrong" section. I spent most of my time doing the section I didn't study.
Yeah, I'm that stupid. :P

Weirdly enough though, I actually found it reasonably easy to answer the 10 marker at the end of the Books and Writers section, or at least part of it.
I mean, I had no idea what that poem was about, but I just went into detail on the repeated 'ss' sounds and everything that connotes (frustration/violence, as in hissing animals; snakes, as in Cupid taunting people through forbidden love and temptation). I also wrote a bit about Minerva and what she's associated with, and how she is contrasted with Venus.

I nearly made the same mistake as you but I had revised Growing Up In Rome a lot, so I didn't. xD

It's because there's also something from Pliny in Books and Writers... Yeah.

The exam was actually okay for me. I just needed every minute to finish the paper in an hour. Comprehension questions were alright and I predicted what would come up today too.

It's quite a tight exam. You have to write pretty quickly. I filled up all 3 pages for the last ten mark question, and filled up both pages for Horace's ten marker. My hand hurt at the end of the exam.

Overall - a lovely paper, and really enjoyed studying some authentic Latin! (Not just fake CLC Latin. :biggrin:)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by RJG123

i did books and writers and i thought it was a good paper, i had memorised all the text so i knew it pretty well and i found there was a lot to say on the last 10 marker, if anything i didn't enjoy the 10marker on Ovid as much but i had a lot to say about the rest!
Reply 9
Who's doing messalina tomorrow??
Original post by RJG123

I am. I'm not ready yet though. I'm just reading through now... Hopefully that's enough to get a good grade.
Good luck to all sitting the exam! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by stableintegral
Good luck to all sitting the exam! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks you too.
Original post by RJG123

ME! Omg dreading it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Very pressed for time just did one and a half sides for each ten marker could have written more but no time. How did others find the time

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bales
Very pressed for time just did one and a half sides for each ten marker could have written more but no time. How did others find the time

Posted from TSR Mobile

On the second paper (Messalina), I had way much more time to write both ten mark essays. I stormed through the comprehension questions and spent a lot of time writing really developed essays. I filled up the space for the last general 10 mark question and ran over into page 16 for continuation and filled that up too. ('Messalina deserved all that she got.')

However, Growing Up In Rome was much harder to finish on time. I was really pressed for time on that one. I basically finished with like a minute spare, but I charged through the last paragraph. I don't know why I took longer, but it was just harder. I still filled up all the space for the 10 mark essay and used the continuation page too.

Anyway, I basically knew the texts inside out so that allowed me to write a lot and not have to use the vocabulary list even once (which is time wasting really). I really enjoyed doing both papers - especially Messalina - as there was a lot of interesting stimuli this year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest