The Student Room Group
Students at University of Huddersfield
University of Huddersfield
Huddersfield
Visit website

MSc Nursing at The University of Huddersfield

Hi, Just wanted to see who else will be starting the MSc Nursing course in Jan 2015?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lauren2592
Hi, Just wanted to see who else will be starting the MSc Nursing course in Jan 2015?

Hey! I'm starting in January :smile: what branch of nursing are you doing?
Will you be looking for somewhere to live in Huddersfield?
Students at University of Huddersfield
University of Huddersfield
Huddersfield
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by emily1993x
Hey! I'm starting in January :smile: what branch of nursing are you doing?
Will you be looking for somewhere to live in Huddersfield?

Hi! I'm doing adult what are you doing? I'm not going to be living in Huddersfield I'm going to commute from home. Where abouts are you from?
Hi! I'm doing adult what are you doing? I'm not going to be living in Huddersfield I'm going to commute from home. Where abouts are you from?

I'm doing adult aswell :smile:
ahh okay, where do you live? I'm from near middlesbrough
Reply 4
Aww fab! I'm from Rochdale! x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Near Manchester

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi,

Just wondering how you are both finding the masters course? I am looking into doing mental health nursing masters.

Lauren how is the commute from Rochdale? I also live there and undecided on whether to commute or move - how far are you commuting to your placements?
Reply 7
I'm finding it fine. Traffic hasn't been so bad so far! Takes me about half an hour to get from my house to uni with no traffic and that's going on the M62 and joining and milnrow.
I've been placed at Calderdale royal in Halifax which is the nearest hospital and that's actually nearer than uni is but only by about 3 mins ha. When I'm on placement at 7 I would leave the house at 6:15 and be there for 7:45, but when I was in placement at 8 I wouldn't leave at 7 just incase but to be honest I have only ever hit traffic just as I come off the motor way but it would only add an extra 5 mins on my journey but most days I have been lucky and not hit any (touch wood)
When I was In uni for 9:15 I would leave at about 8:15 and be there in plenty of time Aswell. Some days I go over the tops through Saddleworth and there is never any traffic that way it just takes a little longer :smile:
Hope this helps. X
I'm finding it fine. Traffic hasn't been so bad so far! Takes me about half an hour to get from my house to uni with no traffic and that's going on the M62 and joining and milnrow.
I've been placed at Calderdale royal in Halifax which is the nearest hospital and that's actually nearer than uni is but only by about 3 mins ha. When I'm on placement at 7 I would leave the house at 6:15 and be there for 7:45, but when I was in placement at 8 I wouldn't leave at 7 just incase but to be honest I have only ever hit traffic just as I come off the motor way but it would only add an extra 5 mins on my journey but most days I have been lucky and not hit any (touch wood)
When I was In uni for 9:15 I would leave at about 8:15 and be there in plenty of time Aswell. Some days I go over the tops through Saddleworth and there is never any traffic that way it just takes a little longer :smile:
Hope this helps. X

Oh excellent thank you :smile: commuting to placements was my main concern with Huddersfield incase I got a placement out the other side of Huddersfield so it would double my journey time.

I currently work full time as a support worker I was thinking of reducing my hours because I love my job and wouldn't want to leave it to study, do you think this would be do-able with the course workload?

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly you've been really helpful! X

PS: If you're travelling today avoid the mway coming back as it's been closed!
Reply 9
Original post by BlondieDJ13
Oh excellent thank you :smile: commuting to placements was my main concern with Huddersfield incase I got a placement out the other side of Huddersfield so it would double my journey time.

I currently work full time as a support worker I was thinking of reducing my hours because I love my job and wouldn't want to leave it to study, do you think this would be do-able with the course workload?

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly you've been really helpful! X

PS: If you're travelling today avoid the mway coming back as it's been closed!

No worries, well I've been working but been doing like bank work which I have found fine cos I've been able to fit it around placement/uni etc. I know some people have kept jobs but I think they found it hard but have managed so far... We have had a few reading weeks Aswell where I've been able to work so I guess its something only you can decide as you know what you can manage... You could always start off working and then if it gets too much then stop? We get the bursary but do not get any loans with it being a masters.
Thank you. I think I am going to reduce my hours and then pick up bank when I can I will need to work to afford commuting etc.
You said we don't get the loan, is that the maintenance loan? Tuition fees are nhs funded aren't they?
Sorry for the late reply I missed the notification x
Reply 11
Yes and when you first start the course your are only In uni anyways - it's when your on placement and have deadlines that you may find working on top of that hard.
Yes we do not get the maintenance load as it is a masters. But we do get the NHS bursary which is means tested and our fees are paid for by the NHS :smile:
Oh excellent thank you for your help. I have sent in my application today she said they are already holding interviews so I'm hoping they will look at it quite quickly!

How long did it take for you to hear from them? What was the interview like? X
Reply 13
Well I was classed as a late applicant because I had originally applied for the BSC course-not knowing about the masters and then they got in touch with my asking me if i was interested in the masters... so once I had done my interview etc i found out within about a week that I had a place.
Have you got to complete an APL Document?
In my interview we had to do a presentation, then had a group interview and then an individual one - it was a long day ha! I don't know if you will have the same process though...
Oh wow really? How long did you have to prepare for the presentation?
I've heard about the group interviews and advised to make sure I have a presence there and get involved as that is what they are looking for..
I think the guidance notes said the APL will be done after the interview is that right?
What degree did you already have if you don't mind me askig? X
Reply 15
To be honest I cant remember as it was so long ago. I was given enough time thought because I remember that I did not feel rushed - if that makes sense...
yes you are correct on the group interviews,
Like i said I was a late applicant so I was in the mids of my APL when I was being interviewed - I remember having to take a draft of it to my interview though, and then the official submission date for it was a few weeks after my interview.
My degree is in sociology, what is yours in?
I can give you more info on the interview but your probs best emailing me because I know they remove anything about interviews off this site... :smile:
I've heard about the group interviews and advised to make sure I have a presence there and get involved as that is what they are looking for..
I think the guidance notes said the APL will be done after the interview is that right?
Reply 17
Original post by BlondieDJ13

I replied above i think you comment posted twice ha
To be honest I cant remember as it was so long ago. I was given enough time thought because I remember that I did not feel rushed - if that makes sense...
yes you are correct on the group interviews,
Like i said I was a late applicant so I was in the mids of my APL when I was being interviewed - I remember having to take a draft of it to my interview though, and then the official submission date for it was a few weeks after my interview.
My degree is in sociology, what is yours in?
I can give you more info on the interview but your probs best emailing me because I know they remove anything about interviews off this site... :smile:

Oh well that's good then cos I hate presentations! Is it worth starting my APL now then would you say? Just in case?
My degree is in psychology I got a 2:1 and graduated last year so I'm hoping they'll find it suitable.
That would be great if you can please? I really want to be prepared for it!! X
Oops haha! It said it hadn't posted x

Quick Reply

Latest