The Student Room Group

A2 Biology OCR June 2015 Revision Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by zXx AJL xXz
I put that perineteal needs to be done more because it doesn't filter/clean the whole blood circulation (doesnt clean all of the blood in the body) and therefore haemodialysis needs to be done less regularly because it takes nearly all of the blood and cleans it all, probably wrong but all i could think of!

yeah i put this. also put that in peritoneal, you don't have as much blood in contact with the dialysis fluid as you have in a dialysis machine
Original post by nbio21
Did u guys put a higher percentage of males started RTT or whatever it was? Then used figures to get the 2nd mark

That's what I did
Reply 2582
yes
[QUOTE=NilaJ;56745369]I mucked up last year in my practicals too and it gave me a B in the end, but i resat them to get an A and thats sorted, well done though!

Ah fab! Thank you :smile:
i sswear that draph y axis was femals not males yo
Reply 2585
yes i did that as well
Original post by obdreno
"Shivering can also be a response to a fever, as a person may feel cold. During fever the hypothalamic set point for temperature is raised. The increased set point causes the body temperature to rise (pyrexia), but also makes the patient feel cold until the new set point is reached. Rigor occurs because the patient's body is effectively shivering in a physiological attempt to increase body temperature to the new set point." -Wikipedia

How on earth were we meant to know this.
Thanks OCR!

By experiencing fever first hand duuuuh! /s
Seeing all these answers is so depressing. That was just catatonic
Reply 2588
would they accept grana not granum?

also, i wrote underneath the lines in the big essay question and not on the additional sheet but it wasn't out of the boxes, would that be okay?
Original post by obdreno
"During fever the hypothalamic set point for temperature is raised. The increased set point causes the body temperature to rise (pyrexia), but also makes the patient feel cold until the new set point is reached. Rigor occurs because the patient's body is effectively shivering in a physiological attempt to increase body temperature to the new set point." -Wikipedia

Thanks OCR!

No offense mate but it's pretty obvious, they told you that the fever increases the set point in the text above then it was just a matter of knowing what shivering does to the body and putting 2 and 2 together.
Original post by NilaJ
I think thats a very fair assumption :P

I don't imagine the crusty OCR examiners considered people of other gender than male or female :frown:
Original post by kewla1
IS THERE ANY WAY we can actually complain to ocr bio about this? im not joking

People say this every year! You just have to take their s**t!
Wait until you read the examiner report if you really want to be p**sed off, it will probably say stuff like, "this exam was excellent at discriminating good candidates from weaker ones" or "candidates were expected to answer the question as .... , but they didn't because they were all c**p - it can't possibly be because we write vague, misleading questions"
Where the f was the coppicing with standards?????
Original post by annnnnnnn
I said something similar, I wrote that even after food intake glucose is still entering the body because not all the substances will be broken down at the same time so a prolonged release of insulin would be required. Not sure at all :')

How many marks was this question? Completely missed the point with it and started talking about diabetes!
Original post by PinkElephant16
Guys pls add anything you remember

1) Inner membrane
Stroma
Granum

M
B
M

why less ATP generated than theoretical
ATP used to actively transport pyrivate from glycolysis to Link reaction
ATP used to actively transport NADH2 from cytoplasm into matrix
Some protons leak through mitchondrial matrix reducing proton motive force

how structure of motor n sensory neurone are similar
Both have cell body with nucleus and mitchondria
Both have axon
Both can be myelinated, schwann cells wrapped around

Anaerobic respiration
No oxygen- oxygen is final electron acceptor
Electron transport chain cannot function,
so link reaction and krebs cycle also stop
Glycolysis is the only source of ATP

Secretion of Insulin
1) Glucose diffuses in, metabolised to ATP
2) ATP causes potassium ion channels to close, depolarisation
3) Voltage-gated calcium channles open, calcium ions diffuse in
4) Ca2+ causes vesicles containing insulin to fuse with cell surface membrane and release insulin via exocytosis

What cells make red blood cell and the location
Stem cells
Bone marrow

RRT

Range?
how peritonal dialyisis differs from haemodalyisis?
peritoneal needing to be done 4 times a day?
Shivering in fever?

Surely it was outer membrane for q1?
Did i over-simplify the shivering question? i think i put more resipration in muscles to raise the core body temp
[QUOTE=obdreno;56745939]"Shivering can also be a response to a fever, as a person may feel cold. During fever the hypothalamic set point for temperature is raised. The increased set point causes the body temperature to rise (pyrexia), but also makes the patient feel cold until the new set point is reached. Rigor occurs because the patient's body is effectively shivering in a physiological attempt to increase body temperature to the new set point." -Wikipedia

Thanks OCR!

I said this; they told you in the question that the body's normal temperature is raised, therefore the body is going to put mechanisms in place to get its temperature up to this new optimum temperature, such as shivering :smile:
Original post by ojstratton
Hahaha, how are we even meant to know that for the exam :':wink:

thats what i said, so it lowers the conc of dialysis fluid so water(i think its meant to be waste) moves into the fluid by osmosis(then removed)
Reply 2598
Original post by tewas
would they accept grana not granum?

also, i wrote underneath the lines in the big essay question and not on the additional sheet but it wasn't out of the boxes, would that be okay?

You're fine as long as you aren't out the box!
I put range bar... When it was an error bar -.-

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending