The Student Room Group

GCSE AQA Food and Nutrition Unit 1

Does anybody have any revision resources/notes that I could borrow for the exam on wednesday as my teach hasn't given us anything and I can not find anything online

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by meganscott99
Does anybody have any revision resources/notes that I could borrow for the exam on wednesday as my teach hasn't given us anything and I can not find anything online

there are past papers on the AQA website - I'd definitely advise having a go at those. Also, you can find out a lot of stuff on the internet - look at the syllabus first on the AQA website and then google stuff. If you want any specific information, let me know - I have a whole file full and 3 different textbooks. I'd advise having a look at the changes in food when it's cooking - it's probably the trickiest back page question - 12 marks, and always about roux sauce, eggs and green leafy vegetables. I've got notes for that if you want them
There's a revision guide but it's probably not worth getting it now...and it's kinda old.
What do you think will come up as the longer questions? I'm thinking maybe something about vegetarian and vegan diets and diets for pregnant women.
How are you guys finding it so far?
Reply 3
Original post by so...what's up?
There's a revision guide but it's probably not worth getting it now...and it's kinda old.
What do you think will come up as the longer questions? I'm thinking maybe something about vegetarian and vegan diets and diets for pregnant women.
How are you guys finding it so far?

Personally I am finding it really hard my teacher is usless and doesn't like me at all so hasn't really given me much help! Does anyone have anything on roux sauces?
Original post by Crblyth
Personally I am finding it really hard my teacher is usless and doesn't like me at all so hasn't really given me much help! Does anyone have anything on roux sauces?

For roux sauces I think you just have to know about gelatinisation:
Mixture is heated
At about 60 degrees starch grains (flour) absorbs water and swells
Eventually they break- this thickens the sauce and happens at about 85 degrees

Do you know if our teachers know what our coursework grades are?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
For roux sauces I think you just have to know about gelatinisation:
Mixture is heated
At about 60 degrees starch grains (flour) absorbs water and swells
Eventually they break- this thickens the sauce and happens at about 85 degrees

Do you know if our teachers know what our coursework grades are?

that's right! The only thing you would add to that is that if you leave the sauce to cool, it will form a gel.

Also yes, they do (in part) - they mark them themselves and send a sample of the year's work to be moderated - if the moderators think the marking is accurate and fair, then they won't change the mark your teacher gave you.
Which coursework briefs did you do?
Original post by erinls2
that's right! The only thing you would add to that is that if you leave the sauce to cool, it will form a gel.

Also yes, they do (in part) - they mark them themselves and send a sample of the year's work to be moderated - if the moderators think the marking is accurate and fair, then they won't change the mark your teacher gave you.
Which coursework briefs did you do?

I did the one about fruit and veg then the equipment one- you?
Ah getting nervous for the exam...
Reply 7
does anyone have any ideas what the 16 marker is likely to be at all?
Reply 8
I did the one about fruit and veg then the equipment one- you?
Ah getting nervous for the exam...

For the shorter one, I did the traditional british diet one and for the longer one I did the primary school children one - hoping I've got A* in both.

Oh god, me too......it terrifies me
Reply 9
Original post by ssss2015
does anyone have any ideas what the 16 marker is likely to be at all?

I reckon it could be the 18 mark on diseases and like what to do eg. diverticular disease - that last came up in 2009 so it's due for another appearance - really dodgy
Reply 10
Original post by erinls2
I reckon it could be the 18 mark on diseases and like what to do eg. diverticular disease - that last came up in 2009 so it's due for another appearance - really dodgy

oh that does NOT sound good
Original post by erinls2

What?! I thought there were only 10 and 12 mark questions. And the only diseases I know about are the bacteria ones and coronary heart disease etc... Hasn't the specification changed since then?
What?! I thought there were only 10 and 12 mark questions. And the only diseases I know about are the bacteria ones and coronary heart disease etc... Hasn't the specification changed since then?

I don't know - it's the only 18 mark question I've seen
Do the examiners take marks off for wrong answers? E.g. if for a three mark question you write 6 points and only 3 of the 6 are right, would you still get full marks?

Also exam tip: for the long questions always explain each point to get easy marks

Good luck everyone!
Do the examiners take marks off for wrong answers? E.g. if for a three mark question you write 6 points and only 3 of the 6 are right, would you still get full marks?

Also exam tip: for the long questions always explain each point to get easy marks

Good luck everyone!

in that case, you would get 3 marks - 1 mark per each correct point.

Agree with the tip - if there's a long (eg 12 mark) question on deficiencies or diseases, you get a mark for actually saying what it's a deficiency of before starting to say how to prevent etc - an easy mark that I've missed in the past
Original post by erinls2
in that case, you would get 3 marks - 1 mark per each correct point.

Agree with the tip - if there's a long (eg 12 mark) question on deficiencies or diseases, you get a mark for actually saying what it's a deficiency of before starting to say how to prevent etc - an easy mark that I've missed in the past

Ah right, thanks for that.

I was thinking something on packaging could come up btw
Ah right, thanks for that.

I was thinking something on packaging could come up btw

That's a good point actually - I always forget about packaging. Do you mean like disadvantages and advantages of different types?
Original post by erinls2
That's a good point actually - I always forget about packaging. Do you mean like disadvantages and advantages of different types?

Yep, it came up last as a proper question in 2011 so I think it's quite likely to come up again.
Well guys, good luck to you all! I'm heading out to school in half an hour to get ready for the exam. Fingers crossed it's a nice paper. Let me know how you all get on!
How did you all find it?
I was so happy when I saw the 10 mark question :biggrin:
I really didn't get the one about stewing meat though... and I wasn't sure about the nutrients in and not in milk

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending