The Student Room Group

A2 Biology OCR June 2015 Revision Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jjblok
For why we shiver I put, increased temperature reduces activity of acetylcholinesterase, so ACh is not hydrolysed and remains in receptor, so sodium channels remain open causing the continued stimulation of action potentials in post-synaptic membrane leading to muscles. Could be wrong, anyone else put something like that?

I don't think all the stuff about acetylcholine is relevant. However, you put increased temperature which might be enough to get you a mark. I think the answer is that you shiver to increase body temperature to make your body less hospitable to pathogens.
Original post by buxtonarmy
Select kidney failure (1)Renal Vascular Disease (figure was +9.2)

Wasn't the answer 'unknown diagnosis' ??
It went up 10.2%

This isn't a condition, which is why this wasn't an answer

It specifically asked for a condition, this is an unknown diagnosis
Reply 2842
Original post by games211
Can you talk about triglycerides and amino acids breaking down to form glucose??????????????/ so insulin secretion continues?

was this question 2 or 3 marks?
Original post by jjblok
Renal Vascular Disease went up by 400%

i put this, do you think its right?
Original post by HyperIntake
Well that exam has just ruined my chance of getting into uni. To think this was the unit I found easiest as well. :frown:

Same 😭

Posted from TSR Mobile
43/60 what grade would that be on this paper?
everyone: "being really strict, I think I got 40/50/60"
me: "being really strict, I think I got around 20"

:frown:
Original post by Bible
Can anybody tell me that exact questions for the MBM answer? I know one was about synapses..?

I may not be much help here since I fail to remember the order. But I think they were

a) Which go from the CNS - M

b) which go connect with others through synapses - B

c) which go to an effector - M

It went up 10.2%

i put this as well but nobody else seems to have
Where was the stuff about ornithine.krebs cycle etc etc etec WHY DID I SPEND HOURS AND HOURS AND HOURS MEMORISING THEM PLEAAAAAAASEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Original post by deeferdog
everyone: "being really strict, I think I got 40/50/60"
me: "being really strict, I think I got around 20"

:frown:

thats ME! LOOOL
Original post by AdderLey
I don't think all the stuff about acetylcholine is relevant. However, you put increased temperature which might be enough to get you a mark. I think the answer is that you shiver to increase body temperature to make your body less hospitable to pathogens.

If all of that is true about pathogens, then why would the body simultaneously sweat?
Reply 2852

It went up 10.2%

Yes i wrote a note saying that went up the most however it asked for a cause and I can only assume they wanted one that was a clear cause not the undiagnosed! Could be wrong though
Original post by corey7695
i put this, do you think its right?

yeah I am pretty sure it is
Original post by games211
Where was the stuff about ornithine.krebs cycle etc etc etec WHY DID I SPEND HOURS AND HOURS AND HOURS MEMORISING THEM PLEAAAAAAASEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Yeah really they had too many questions where you had to apply your knowledge it seems to be theme this year with ocr.
Reply 2855
Original post by BioAgent
43/60 what grade would that be on this paper?

possibly an A, we have no idea of the grade boundaries
Sounds like a mean paper. TBH this has been a common occurrence for OCR over the last few years. They make unit 4 the hardest in terms of content with all the different processes to remember and then they just question you on crap which people who haven't learnt A level biology could do. I'm hoping with the new syllabus they stop wasting paper space by adding **** questions and actually test you on what you have learnt. Applied questions are fine, they are useful in fact but at least make it relevant to the material learnt.
Reply 2857
is saying they have ion channels enough or too vague in the similarities between the neurones question
Original post by jjblok
If all of that is true about pathogens, then why would the body simultaneously sweat?

Because viruses and bacteria reproduce best at precisely 37 celsius. Your body wants to generate enough heat to get above that so it shivers, but it doesn't want to surpass 39-40 celsius so you sweat simultaneously to prevent that.
why wasn't the electron transport chain the matrix, the cristea adn the intermembrane space?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending