The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Mathematics MPC4 Core 4 - 9th June 2015 [Discussion & unofficial markscheme]

Scroll to see replies

How to you find the Cartesian equation in this form?
I got to the point where y=square root 36(1-cos^2thetacos^2theta)
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1433781074.798962.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1141
Original post by moinoi
I bet you there'll be a bitch of a vectors question. And probably one of those "form a differential" questions that leave you wondering if AQA's head office is in hell.

Cue another "Hitler reacts" video

Posted from TSR Mobile
The exams tomorrow so ofcourse a migrain had to come. Ffs. Good luck everyone.
Original post by 2014_GCSE
Working through it myself now and we seem to have done the same thing!
Except, shouldn't it be AP, not PA?

As at the right angle, the [-1, 4, 3] would be going away from the angle, so you would want AP (also going away from the angle)

Below I've put my complete method (I don't know why I started forming another equation of a line, I'm just really tired so I'm doing some silly things :biggrin:).

START
I have no idea if there's a concrete method for doing a vector reflection, but this is how I would do it:

The reflected point, R, is of equidistance from the line r as P is, only in the opposite direction and the shortest distance from P to the line occurs when a line through P that intersects with the line is perpendicular to the line.

Let the point of intersection be A.

Therefore, PA = OA - OP. OA is equal to r for some value of U.
=> PA = [-U, 4U-1, 3U]

Doing the scalar product with PA . [-1, 4, 3] = 0 will allow you to solve to find the value for U at which A occurs.

Substituting in the value for U into the equation of the line will give you the position vector of A and, as you know PA = [-U, 4U-1, 3U] you can substitute U in there as well to find PA.

You want to find R, and as R is equidistance from the line in the question you know that PA = AR.
=> PA = OR - OA
=> OR = PA + OA
=> OR = [-U, 4U-1, 3U] + OA (where OA = the equation of the line with the value of U you found substituted in)
=> OR = whatever position vector that came to
=> R is the (x, y, z) form of the position vector you just found
END

NOTE: I'm really tried at the moment so if I've done something stupid please just say .
(edited 8 years ago)
Is there a thread for decision? Could someone make one as I don't know how (on my phone) ☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by gloria0816
How to you find the Cartesian equation in this form?
I got to the point where y=square root 36(1-cos^2thetacos^2theta)
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1433781074.798962.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

Expand the sin2∅ with the trig identities on the y side. Square both sides. Make evrything in terms of cos∅ then just plug it with the x. Its not difficult just requires some playing around with till you get it in the form they want
(edited 8 years ago)
My predictions for C4 grade boundaries:
A* 6/75
A 5/75
B 4/75
C 3/75

I think these are reasonable.
Original post by datpr0
Below I've put my complete method (I don't know why I started forming another equation of a line, I'm just really tired so I'm doing some silly things :biggrin:).

START
I have no idea if there's a concrete method for doing a vector reflection, but this is how I would do it:

The reflected point, R, is of equidistance from the line r as P is, only in the opposite direction and the shortest distance from P to the line occurs when a line through P that intersects with the line is perpendicular to the line.

=> PA = [-U, 4U-1, 3U]

Doing the scalar product with PA . [-1, 4, 3] = 0 will allow you to solve to find the value for U at which A occurs.

Substituting in the value for U into the equation of the line will give you the position vector of A and, as you know PA = [-U, 4U-1, 3U] you can substitute U in there as well to find PA.

You want to find R, and as R is equidistance from the line in the question you know that PA = AR.
=> PA = OR - OA
=> OR = PA + OA
=> OR = [-U, 4U-1, 3U] + OA (where OA = the equation of the line with the value of U you found substituted in)
END

NOTE: I'm really tried at the moment so if I've done something stupid please just say .

This seems right, but as I said, shouldn't you be working with AP? Not PA?
Going to give it another shot now. Got it wrong on my first attempt...

Answers:

Spoiler

Reply 1148
Original post by Chung224
My predictions for C4 grade boundaries:
A* 6/75
A 5/75
B 4/75
C 3/75

I think these are reasonable.

Bit generous

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jankie
Argh sorry, how do you know when to do that then? :ashamed2:

It's always defined as acute unless they tell you it's not. So if you get a negative cos theta, just make it positive.
Original post by Hexaneandheels
Considering I was getting 98/99 and 100UMS on all previous mock papers, I'd say something went wrong in the exam considering I must have dropped at least ten marks. It is not necessarily unpreparedness when not doing well in exam, sometimes there can be other factors, such as health, or the ACTUAL EXAM QUESTIONS!!!

There was nothing wrong with the exam questions. They were all within the specification. If you thought they were difficult, then grade boundaries should reflect that.

It's good they're making it difficult anyway. Too many people who are not even good at maths are getting A*s.
Original post by ubisoft
Too many people who are not even good at maths are getting A*s.

This generalisation is absurd and makes you look like a snob.
Original post by ubisoft
There was nothing wrong with the exam questions. They were all within the specification. If you thought they were difficult, then grade boundaries should reflect that.

It's good they're making it difficult anyway. Too many people who are not even good at maths are getting A*s.

Agreed, at least with the first two statements, bumped into my maths teacher today and she said it was "tough but fair" :smile:. I think she summed it up pretty well there, the questions were perhaps on the harder end of the spectrum for what they could have been, but there was nothing that was, for example, so crazy only 5% of people got.
(edited 8 years ago)
On Q8bii January 2011, how do you know which 'p' to sub in to get your coordinates. Because I used p=1 instead of p=5/7 and therefore didn't get the right coordinates, so I was wondering how you're meant to work out which one is correct?
vectors is gonna kill me
Original post by ubisoft
It's always defined as acute unless they tell you it's not. So if you get a negative cos theta, just make it positive.

When they give you like cos theta is an obtuse angle, how do you work out the acute angle for sin amd tan? ://
(edited 8 years ago)
This generalisation is absurd and makes you look like a snob.

How is it absurd when it is true?
This seems right, but as I said, shouldn't you be working with AP? Not PA?
Going to give it another shot now. Got it wrong on my first attempt...

Answers:

Spoiler

Ah you mean AP because AP is going outwards from the point of intersection, like the line. Err, damn my brain for being sleep deprived; remind me why it makes a difference? Having a mind blank here.. :biggrin:.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by datpr0

START

=> PA = [-U, 4U-1, 3U]

=> PA = OR - OA
=> OR = PA + OA
END

Just done it. Your method is completely correct except yeah it's AP, not PA for the first steps. :smile:
Original post by ubisoft

I see you everywhere on the student room, can you just being so arrogant, you think you're smarter than you actually are, i love how you are condescending everywhere probably to make you feel better about yourself, just sayin.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending