The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Mathematics MPC4 Core 4 - 9th June 2015 [Discussion & unofficial markscheme]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ubisoft
How is it absurd when it is true?

oh crap did i see euler's formula m8 top notch 5minutes of looking at youtube videos m8 i bet u get 110% ums cus ur dat cleveur m8
Original post by ubisoft
How is it absurd when it is true?

Even getting a C at A-Level proves you are decent at A-Level Maths considering you need to know quite a lot. You can't just scrape by.
If you got an A*, then yes you are excellent at Maths. You may not be one of the brilliant, top 0.001% students of the country (like you seem to think an A* should be for?) but you're definitely (at the bare minimum) good.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Chung224
I see you everywhere on the student room, can you just being so arrogant, you think you're smarter than you actually are, i love how you are condescending everywhere probably to make you feel better about yourself, just sayin.

Haha funny. I've never said anything about myself, how am I being arrogant?
Original post by 2014_GCSE
Even getting a C at A-Level proves you are decent at A-Level Maths considering you need to know quite a lot. You can't just scrape by.
If you got an A*, then yes you are excellent at Maths. You may not be one of the brilliant, top 0.001% students of the country (like you seem to think an A* should be for?) but you're definitely good.

Of course you are good at maths relative to the average person even if you get a C. I am talking relative to people who are hoping to study maths at uni. There are people who get A* but will not be able to cope with a maths degree, which needs to change.
oh crap did i see euler's formula m8 top notch 5minutes of looking at youtube videos m8 i bet u get 110% ums cus ur dat cleveur m8

That is not a formula as it does not include any unknown terms. You need to improve your maths.
Original post by ubisoft
That is not a formula as it does not include any unknown terms. You need to improve your maths.

I got rekt
I got rekt

Gr8 b8 m8 I r8 8/8.

11/10 IGN - would rekt again.
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1433783494.207669.jpg
Could someone let me know where I've gone wrong please :/
It's June 09 pilot paper q11b

Posted from TSR Mobile
Eyy, 2014_GCSE can you help me out here (from p58):

"Ah you mean AP because AP is going outwards from the point of intersection, like the line. Err, damn my brain for being sleep deprived; remind me why it makes a difference? Having a mind blank here.. ."
I see you everywhere on the student room, can you just being so arrogant, you think you're smarter than you actually are, i love how you are condescending everywhere probably to make you feel better about yourself, just sayin.

Sorry i have to agree with you Chung224 because there are those of us who rightfully work our arses off to achieve that A* grade and so we should be rewarded even if we arent the best at maths! Its those who seemingly do no work yet gain A* grades who should be frowned upon, not the majority of hard working people who work hard all year to achieve an A* and then through unfortunate questions or panic do not do as well because they can rest easy knowing they had work their utmost and gave it their all - these people should get A*'s not the arrogant few.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by EmilyC96
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1433783494.207669.jpg
Could someone let me know where I've gone wrong please :/
It's June 09 pilot paper q11b

Posted from TSR Mobile

You expanded it incorrectly. 1 - (1 - 2sinx) is 1 + 2sinx. You wrote 1 - 2sinx.
Original post by Alexandrite
I would use algebraic long division first. The result becomes the Ax and the remainder is the B(4x-1).

There's apparently a quicker/easier way according to the mark scheme though.

I think multiplying throug by the denominator and equating coefficients is probably the easier way you're talking about. I find It better because there's less room for error
Original post by HennersPD
Sorry i have to agree with you Chung224 because there are those of us who rightfully work our arses off to achieve that A* grade and so we should be rewarded even if we arent the best at maths! Its those who seemingly do no work yet gain A* grades who should be frowned upon, not the majority of hard working people who work hard all year to achieve an A* and then through unfortunate questions or panic do not do as well because they can rest easy knowing they had work their utmost and gave it their all - these people should get A*'s not the arrogant few.

Hey, don't frown upon me :frown:... I'm just good at maths!
And I do revision! Just less than others! Because I have a good memory! It's not my fault!
Don't frown upon me :frown:!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by HennersPD
Its those who seemingly do no work yet gain A* grades who should be frowned upon, not the majority of hard working people who work hard all year to achieve an A* and then through unfortunate questions or panic do not do as well because they can rest easy knowing they had work their utmost and gave it their all - these people should get A*'s not the arrogant few.

That is absurd lmao. Sorry I don't have to work too hard in maths to get a good grade. Maybe I should fail on purpose because I didn't work hard enough.

If people have a talent in maths, why shouldn't they use it?
Original post by datpr0
Eyy, 2014_GCSE can you help me out here (from p58):

"Ah you mean AP because AP is going outwards from the point of intersection, like the line. Err, damn my brain for being sleep deprived; remind me why it makes a difference? Having a mind blank here.. ."

Oops, sorry, didn't see the question mark so didn't pick up on the question in there. :smile:

Well, basically, both the vectors have to be facing in the same direction when using the scalar product.

If you have ABC and are finding this angle, you could use "BA and BC" or "AB and CB" as the first pair BOTH go out from the angle, and the second pair BOTH go in to the angle.

If you mix and match, then you'll end up with the negative version of the answer which could give you the completely wrong answer further down the line.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1175
Guys please don't use the thread to argue about maths. Time is more productively spent preparing for tomorrow's exam.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 2014_GCSE
Oops, sorry, didn't see the question mark so didn't pick up on the question in there. :smile:

Well, basically, both the vectors have to be facing in the same direction when using the scalar product.

If you have ABC and are finding this angle, you could use "BA and BC" or "AB and CB" as the first pair BOTH go out from the angle, and the second pair BOTH go in to the angle.

If you mix and match, then you'll end up with the negative version of the answer which could give you the completely wrong answer further down the line.

Hmm, I see, thank you :biggrin:!
Original post by ubisoft
You expanded it incorrectly. 1 - (1 - 2sinx) is 1 + 2sinx. You wrote 1 - 2sinx.

Arg such a simple thing!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
How do you manipulate

3sin4x

My teacher swears that we'll get 4x's and stuff where we have to manipulate the double angle formulae to do this.
How does it work?

Does it become 3Sin2xCos2x?
Can anyone explain to me the answer for question 7 june 2013 paper please?

The height of the tide in a certain harbour is h metres at time hours. Successive high tides occur every 12 hours.
The rate change of the height of the tide can be modelled by a function of the form acos(kt), where a and k are constants. The largest value of this rate of change is 1.3 metres per hour.

Write down a differential equation in the variables h and t. State the values of the constants a and k.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending