The Student Room Group

A2 Biology OCR June 2015 Revision Thread

Scroll to see replies

For the shivering one I swear it said in the question that the fever increases the temperature setpoint of the body (which is the standard temperature the body thinks it should be at) so the body would be lower than that temperature and would try and counteract that by shivering to release heat energy. Or have I gone completely mental?
"Want to fail all your exams? Want to learn interesting subjects like physics and biology but want to get screwed over at the end when you only needed about 15% of it? Want to do ambiguous application of knowledge questions? Want to waste time and ruin your life? Come on down to OCR today!" - OCR
Original post by Munrot07
Sounds like a mean paper. TBH this has been a common occurrence for OCR over the last few years. They make unit 4 the hardest in terms of content with all the different processes to remember and then they just question you on crap which people who haven't learnt A level biology could do. I'm hoping with the new syllabus they stop wasting paper space by adding **** questions and actually test you on what you have learnt. Applied questions are fine, they are useful in fact but at least make it relevant to the material learnt.

You helped me revise. I would not be feeling as confident about my grade on that paper if it wasn't for your videos. I watched your one on the kidney this morning!
Original post by NilaJ
possibly an A, we have no idea of the grade boundaries

whats the point I needed like 80 UMS from this for an A overall.
Original post by JoshFH
thats the correct method but its definately 93 not triple digits

Think it is three significant figures as all the values were given to 3 sig figs.
Original post by Munrot07
Sounds like a mean paper. TBH this has been a common occurrence for OCR over the last few years. They make unit 4 the hardest in terms of content with all the different processes to remember and then they just question you on crap which people who haven't learnt A level biology could do. I'm hoping with the new syllabus they stop wasting paper space by adding **** questions and actually test you on what you have learnt. Applied questions are fine, they are useful in fact but at least make it relevant to the material learnt.

hey

does the electron transport chain use the matrix, the cristae and the intermembrane space or just the cristae?

and why did ocr say ' you can use one or more than one or NONE like seriously!!!!!!!!!!!!
Probably didnt get an A let alone the UMS i need, now i will never be a Doctor :frown:
Why did i find this exam pretty easy???
This paper was horrific.

For the dialysis fluid being dextrose question i put it was added to make a diffusion gradient so the substances in blood could be filtered, as using just water would be only water would move by in or out of the blood, however substances such as glucose which maybe in excess would remain the blood and not be filtered out.

for the insulin secretion question i put that the potassium ion channels may remain closed for a long period resulting in the B cell to remain depolarized thus meaning calcium voltage gated ion channels remain open and they keep diffusing into cell resulting in vesicles moving and binding with b cell membrane and insulin being released.

Both of these answers are probably wrong and i need to get a high A (at least 80 ums) in this.......goodbye UCL
Reply 2869
is saying they have ion channels enough or too vague in the similarities between the neurones question
Original post by cfcforever
This paper was horrific.

For the dialysis fluid being dextrose question i put it was added to make a diffusion gradient so the substances in blood could be filtered, as using just water would be only water would move by in or out of the blood, however substances such as glucose which maybe in excess would remain the blood and not be filtered out.

for the insulin secretion question i put that the potassium ion channels may remain closed for a long period resulting in the B cell to remain depolarized thus meaning calcium voltage gated ion channels remain open and they keep diffusing into cell resulting in vesicles moving and binding with b cell membrane and insulin being released.

Both of these answers are probably wrong and i need to get a high A (at least 80 ums) in this.......goodbye UCL

lool more like hello UCL!
Oh yeah and for the question about adaptions of granum structure i put it was surrounded by stroma so products of the light dependent stage could easily move into the stroma for use in the light independent stage.

is this right?
what will 47 be? in terms of UMS
Original post by games211
lool more like hello UCL!

No way, what do you mean???
That calculation question I think the answer was 93 but did we have to give it to any certain sig figs or decimal places? :frown: Please say it was just 93 on that answer line lol
Original post by Captain Anonymous
what will 47 be? in terms of UMS

I reckon 82
Omg for labelling the mitochondrial, could you just put the letters ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AsianBeauty
Omg for labelling the mitochondrial, could you just put the letters ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

why wasn't the electron transport chain the matrix, the cristea adn the intermembrane space?
Original post by cfcforever
This paper was horrific.

For your insulin answer, not sure if depolarisation is the correct term. Remember that depolarisation occurs at a specific magnitude of potential difference, in the case of the beta-cell, it is brought from a value of -70mV to -30mV. They might not like that but it should be okay (or maybe I'm wrong here) but "less negative" or the "potential difference is less [closer to 0mV]". But again I'm not 100% sure, your other answers seem fine. Anybody fine anything wrong with what I said please let me know.
Original post by jamesjmillar
For your insulin answer, not sure if depolarisation is the correct term. Remember that depolarisation occurs at a specific magnitude of potential difference, in the case of the beta-cell, it is brought from a value of -70mV to -30mV. They might not like that but it should be okay (or maybe I'm wrong here) but "less negative" or the "potential difference is less [closer to 0mV]". But again I'm not 100% sure, your other answers seem fine. Anybody fine anything wrong with what I said please let me know.

why wasn't the electron transport chain the matrix, the cristea adn the intermembrane space?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending