The Student Room Group

Can I still get an A in Math & Grade Boundaries?

Many of us have really struggled with these exams as it seems and i'm pretty sure the boundaries are going down this year even if it is by a little. However i'm a little worried that if i've just missed out on an A grade which I need to study Math at my sixth form.

I achieved about 70 on paper 1 and was wondering what you'd think would creep me into the A grade. I'm thinking about 60 marks.

Also what do you guys think the boundaries would be for A*, A, B and C this year. I personally think they're going to be going down by about 2-3 marks each but would like to hear your input.
Reply 1
I really hope they're going to be down by at leas 8-10 marks, with all this outrage. I also personally found it both papers very hard. There was 1 year where the grade boundries dropped by 8.
Original post by Chylz
Many of us have really struggled with these exams as it seems and i'm pretty sure the boundaries are going down this year even if it is by a little. However i'm a little worried that if i've just missed out on an A grade which I need to study Maths at my sixth form.

I achieved about 70 on paper 1 and was wondering what you'd think would creep me into the A grade. I'm thinking about 60 marks.

Also what do you guys think the boundaries would be for A*, A, B and C this year. I personally think they're going to be going down by about 2-3 marks each but would like to hear your input.

I'm sure you will do fine in maths. American.
Original post by Chylz
Many of us have really struggled with these exams as it seems and i'm pretty sure the boundaries are going down this year even if it is by a little. However i'm a little worried that if i've just missed out on an A grade which I need to study Math at my sixth form.

Original post by bond_213
I really hope they're going to be down by at leas 8-10 marks, with all this outrage. I also personally found it both papers very hard. There was 1 year where the grade boundries dropped by 8.

Original post by Alan-K
I'm sure you will do fine in maths. American.

Trust me guys
I was you last year, the exam was terrible, i was hoping for lowered grade boundaries, turnt out it was exactly the same. Grade boundaries will not be lowered 4 or 5 marks. Most it'll, is 1 or 2 marks.

A* - 163
A - 133

My dad is an edexcel examiner.
Original post by Presque là
Trust me guys
I was you last year, the exam was terrible, i was hoping for lowered grade boundaries, turnt out it was exactly the same. Grade boundaries will not be lowered 4 or 5 marks. Most it'll, is 1 or 2 marks.

A* - 163
A - 133

That's very true.

By the way, your dad being an Edexcel examiner doesn't add credit to your statement whatsoever. Papers haven't been marked yet.
Reply 5
Trust me guys

A* - 163
A - 133

If youre talking about the 2014 edexcel maths paper, those were much easier than the maths paper sat today.....
Reply 6
Yh I understand it isn't going down by a lot but even if it does by 2/3 marks that would make a massive difference to a lot of our grades imo.
Hhey guys i have a question in todayz paper the reciprocal question my calculator gave me a decimal and i was wondering if wrighting like that will cut me down points?
Reply 8
I think I got around 78% on Paper 1, and 88% on Paper 2.
Do you think I'll be able to scrape an A*?
Not sure what the fuss was about - have seen the sweets question that largely instigated all the outrage and it only seems like a good discriminator between A/A* students. There are questions in the IGCSE exams that were regularly much harder.
Trust me guys

A* - 163
A - 133

:unimpressed::argh::facepalm::zomg::yikes::lolwut:
Reply 11
Original post by midgemeister7
Not sure what the fuss was about - have seen the sweets question that largely instigated all the outrage and it only seems like a good discriminator between A/A* students. There are questions in the IGCSE exams that were regularly much harder.

Yh I do agree people were just over dramatic about it but I think the exams were just slightly harder than last year so see the boundaries going down by 2 this year.

Anyone know when the unofficial mark scheme is allowed to be shown on this site?
I do want to be hateful but i have read too much that I feel i have to express my opinion.. I understand it has been a difficult year for us all maybe for some more than others. I know we want our specific grades but I don't understand why you are freaking out so much because you don't get an A* or A some people have trouble getting there C and your here complaining that you are not gonna get your A*. I am hoping for a B but considering the rate of the OCR maths exams this year im happy just getting a C and passing it. I think the point is that you pass so i don't see why most of you answering this girl or boy's question are freaking out over an A*. No hate i just what you all to think about the people who struggle just passing maths xx PEACE :tongue:
Original post by anonymouslol
I do want to be hateful but i have read too much that I feel i have to express my opinion.. I understand it has been a difficult year for us all maybe for some more than others. I know we want our specific grades but I don't understand why you are freaking out so much because you don't get an A* or A some people have trouble getting there C and your here complaining that you are not gonna get your A*. I am hoping for a B but considering the rate of the OCR maths exams this year im happy just getting a C and passing it. I think the point is that you pass so i don't see why most of you answering this girl or boy's question are freaking out over an A*. No hate i just what you all to think about the people who struggle just passing maths xx PEACE :tongue:

It's called varying expectations. If somebody is capable of getting an A* but comes out with an A/B they quite obviously have the right to be annoyed. It's all relative.
Original post by midgemeister7
It's called varying expectations. If somebody is capable of getting an A* but comes out with an A/B they quite obviously have the right to be annoyed. It's all relative.

Of course i completely understand that but i want to make sure people understand how lucky they are to get an A or B when many people aren't so lucky. And I don't want people to set there hopes to high as it could lead to disappointment

Quick Reply

Latest