The Student Room Group

Edexcel FP3 June 2015 - Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Original post by TeeEm
YOU NEED TO SPEAK TO A PURIST ... Sorry I do Physically applied/methods
I remember back to my degree says, that if a matrix is symmetric then the eigenvectors have to be orthogonal, but I do remember the proof ...
My apologies.

no worries. Thankyou for replying. I tried reading the theory behind the matrix stuff and gained some understanding behind determinants and why the characteristic formula for eigenvalues holds. But when i tried to understand the reason behind the eigenvectors being orthogonal for a symmetric matrix, i could not gain the intutive feeling.
I have downloaded few linear algebra textbooks and will be reading those during holidays to get better understanding.
I don't understand the thought in introducing all this matrix stuff in fp3 without first explaining linear algebra. :angry:
Reply 143
some basic differentiation here in the attached PDF (answer in the pink section)

hyperbolic differentiation in
HYPERBOLIC FUNCTIONS
http://madasmaths.com/archive/maths_booklets/further_topics/various/hyperbolic_functions.pdf

inverse trig differentiation at the end of the booklet in this link
INVERSE TRIGONOMETRIC FUNCTIONS
http://madasmaths.com/archive/maths_booklets/standard_topics/trigonometry/trigonometric_inverse_functions.pdf
(edited 8 years ago)
if the cross product of two vectors gives a vectors (axb) that is perpendicular to both a and b, is the the exception to this when a and b are parallel? if, lets say, you did want to find a vector perpendicular to a and b where a and b are parallel how would you go about this then?
in June 2009 question 1, for sechx=3/5 don't you get an answer of In(3) when you use the indentity? (using x as 5/3?)
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by mmms95
in June 2008 question 1, for sechx=3/5 don't you get an answer of In(3) when you use the indentity? (using x as 5/3?)

Can you link the paper? Can't find it
When Edexcel sort out your modules to determine whether they go in maths or further maths, do they sort them to give you the best possible grade in both subjects, or do they put the best modules in maths? Also, do you have any say onhow you want the modules arranged ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by BP_Tranquility
When Edexcel sort out your modules to determine whether they go in maths or further maths, do they sort them to give you the best possible grade in both subjects, or do they put the best modules in maths? Also, do you have any say onhow you want the modules arranged ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think they try to get the best possible in maths.
But if you aren't happy with the way they arrange it, I think you can get it changed. (I was worried about this too and this is what my teacher told me)
Original post by BP_Tranquility

Posted from TSR Mobile

Best grade in maths then best grade FM the max UMS in maths the max UMS in FM

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Navo D.
Can you link the paper? Can't find it

sorry i meant june 2009 https://3a14597dd5c7aa2363f0675717665774b02557b0.googledrive.com/host/0B1ZiqBksUHNYQWE5bVRTVE9BLW8/June%202009%20QP%20-%20FP3%20Edexcel.pdf

also on question 5 i don't understand how they simplified the integral in the markscheme (https://3a14597dd5c7aa2363f0675717665774b02557b0.googledrive.com/host/0B1ZiqBksUHNYQWE5bVRTVE9BLW8/June%202009%20MS%20-%20FP3%20Edexcel.pdf)

how did they deal with the (25-x^2) on top?
Original post by rachu

I have downloaded few linear algebra textbooks and will be reading those during holidays to get better understanding.
I don't understand the thought in introducing all this matrix stuff in fp3 without first explaining linear algebra. :angry:

Linear algebra is just matrices tbh.
Original post by mmms95
if the cross product of two vectors gives a vectors (axb) that is perpendicular to both a and b, is the the exception to this when a and b are parallel? if, lets say, you did want to find a vector perpendicular to a and b where a and b are parallel how would you go about this then?

You only need to find a vector, say v=(xi+yj+zk) that is perpendicular to a. So v•a=0

Choose values for x and y, as there are infinitely many values, then choose a z value which is consistent with this information :smile:
Original post by mmms95
in June 2009 question 1, for sechx=3/5 don't you get an answer of In(3) when you use the indentity? (using x as 5/3?)

What identity? I'm pretty sure you just have to rewrite in terms of e and solve the resulting quadratic
Original post by Navo D.
What identity? I'm pretty sure you just have to rewrite in terms of e and solve the resulting quadratic

in the alternative method (ii) https://3a14597dd5c7aa2363f0675717665774b02557b0.googledrive.com/host/0B1ZiqBksUHNYQWE5bVRTVE9BLW8/June%202009%20MS%20-%20FP3%20Edexcel.pdf

i got sechx=3/5 and i used arcoshx =In(x+sqrt(x^2 -1) and when i substitued 5/3 i get In 3 which is not the answer
Do we need to know how to work with ellipses or hyperbolae with focii on the y axis?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by rayquaza17
I think they try to get the best possible in maths.
But if you aren't happy with the way they arrange it, I think you can get it changed. (I was worried about this too and this is what my teacher told me)

Original post by physicsmaths
Best grade in maths then best grade FM the max UMS in maths the max UMS in FM

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh, okay, thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mmms95
in the alternative method (ii) https://3a14597dd5c7aa2363f0675717665774b02557b0.googledrive.com/host/0B1ZiqBksUHNYQWE5bVRTVE9BLW8/June%202009%20MS%20-%20FP3%20Edexcel.pdf

i got sechx=3/5 and i used arcoshx =In(x+sqrt(x^2 -1) and when i substitued 5/3 i get In 3 which is not the answer

Remember, arcosh(x) also equals ln(x-sqrt(x^2 -1)
Original post by Gome44
Remember, arcosh(x) also equals ln(x-sqrt(x^2 -1)

ooohh, ok thanks!
Reply 159
Original post by rayquaza17
Linear algebra is just matrices tbh.

yes but in a proper textbook focusing on it, they explain the proof and the theory behind the mechanistic steps that we follow in fp3 matrices chapter

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending