The Student Room Group

Someone tell me how this is stalemate?!

So shadowdweller and I were having a lovely game of chess (i.e I was winning, as per) and the situation was as follows:

Untitled.png

I moved one piece and suddenly it was stalemate? I'm fairly okay at chess but I don't understand this :lol:

Someone more awake and brainy care to explain? :tongue:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BurstingBubbles
So shadowdweller and I were having a lovely game of chess (i.e I was winning, as per) and the situation was as follows:

Untitled.png

I moved one piece and suddenly it was stalemate? I'm fairly okay at chess but I don't understand this :lol:

Someone more awake and brainy care to explain? :tongue:

Clearly I'm just awesome at defence :u:

Also, because chess rules which I've now explained :mmm:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by shadowdweller

Nope nope nope, the rules of chess are wrong. In a real battle, you'd me exterminated :mmm:

Also, because chess rules which I've now explained :mmm:

Wait, so why does this not count as you losing? :s-smilie:
Nope nope nope, the rules of chess are wrong. In a real battle, you'd me exterminated :mmm:

So in this situation you're a Dalek? I found a photo of you then :mmm:

Spoiler

(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by yelllowribbon
Wait, so why does this not count as you losing? :s-smilie:

Basically my piece wasn't in check where it was currently, but if I moved anywhere, I'd be in check. So it's stalemate, because I can't move, but I'm not in check :tongue:
There's nowhere the king can move from it's current position without being in check, so it's their turn but they can't move, so it's a draw.
Basically my piece wasn't in check where it was currently, but if I moved anywhere, I'd be in check. So it's stalemate, because I can't move, but I'm not in check :tongue:

Original post by SeanFM
There's nowhere the king can move from it's current position without being in check, so it's their turn but they can't move, so it's a draw.

I think we need to rewrite the rules of chess. I essentially snookered her, so I think that deserves a win :u:

Lets be srs though you lost.

You just found a loophole in the rules and got lucky lmao.
I think we need to rewrite the rules of chess. I essentially snookered her, so I think that deserves a win :u:

No no, that's the wrong game :console:

Now watch me win the next game :colone:
Original post by ChickenMadness
Lets be srs though you lost.

You just found a loophole in the rules and got lucky lmao.

But but, it was totally a draw :puppyeyes:
Oh so member do take part in chess matches? How can I join? :biggrin: And we shall see if shadow dweller still thinks "defence" is that "top-notch"
Original post by AlphaWolfZ
Oh so member do take part in chess matches? How can I join? :biggrin: And we shall see if shadow dweller still thinks "defence" is that "top-notch"

Oh, you think you can beat me? :hand:

Judging from how thoroughly you were smashed in the above picture, I'd back them.
Original post by Arkasia
Judging from how thoroughly you were smashed in the above picture, I'd back them.

I reckon Boobles was just tryna embarrass me :grumble:
An important tactic in chess is if a loss is expected the opponent can force a stalemate equating to a draw. The player with the upper hand can't just dominate, but must secure the win by preventing the opponent from doing this, otherwise he doesn't deserve the win :P

Yes I think I can, an overconfident people is the one that I love to destroy the most, just the beautiful grimace of shock in the checkmate makes my blood throb!!
I reckon Boobles was just tryna embarrass me :grumble:

It worked :wink:
hate it when that happens to me, im after a win not a stalemate when i play! it should be a win that :tongue:

So when and where do we battle it out shadow? Pick the date for your destruction!

Quick Reply

Latest