The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TeeEm
Xtreme?

never heard of them..
where did you get them?

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/oz0s4m3nf7rocug/AAD1Uy9ta4C7iEJX8H_e4jZ8a/Core/C3?dl=0

Just in the link from PhysicsMathstutor... perhaps they go by a different name?
Original post by Artfanatic
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/oz0s4m3nf7rocug/AAD1Uy9ta4C7iEJX8H_e4jZ8a/Core/C3?dl=0

LOL!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hahaha they are the IYGB ones

Posted from TSR Mobile
Guys iv never really understood CAST diagrams. I've always only used the formulae. Should I try learn them now?
Original post by MissC123
Guys iv never really understood CAST diagrams. I've always only used the formulae. Should I try learn them now?

I would recommend carrying on with what your using now. What might be beneficial is familiarising yourself with the graphs

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 985
Original post by MissC123

Well if you've been fine without out them, then there's no reason to learn them. However if you are having trouble then make sure to learn it, there's nothing complicated about them and you should be able to get the hang of them instantly. Check out the videos about them on examsolutions.
Reply 986
Original post by Artfanatic

yes, they are my papers ...
they are called IYGB
extreme, my 5.jpg
Just about finished the solomon papers and have a couple of questions before Friday:

What are the chances of one of these: "Prove, by counter-example, that the statement “ln(3x2 + 5x + 3) 0 for all real values of x” is false." sort of proof questions coming up?

Also when you demonstrate change of sign to prove a root lies in a particular interval is it important to mention that the function is continuous as they do in the solomon mark schemes? Thanks!
when talking about the root, how exactly do you word it? do you just write "there's a sign change, therefore root = (insert root here)"
I'm always unsure on what to write.... can anyone clarify for me? thanks
Teem are you sitting this exam

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 990
Original post by danlocke
Just about finished the solomon papers and have a couple of questions before Friday:

What are the chances of one of these: "Prove, by counter-example, that the statement “ln(3x2 + 5x + 3) 0 for all real values of x” is false." sort of proof questions coming up?

Also when you demonstrate change of sign to prove a root lies in a particular interval is it important to mention that the function is continuous as they do in the solomon mark schemes? Thanks!

Original post by Bustamove
when talking about the root, how exactly do you word it? do you just write "there's a sign change, therefore root = (insert root here)"I'm always unsure on what to write.... can anyone clarify for me? thanks

Mark scheme from an Edexcel paper: http://i.imgur.com/Fxnjm75.png

As you can see they put the continuous function in brackets, all you have to put as conclusion is: change of sign, therefore root at X for the final mark
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Anon-

As you can see they put the continuous function in brackets, all you have to put as conclusion is: change of sign, therefore root at X for the final mark

ah i see... would I need to say that root is in between ae(2.3585,2.3595) or do i just go straight and say a=2.359?

(referring to the link you sent me, sorry I can't do the symbols above, so i just used letters which look similiar)
Original post by Anon-

Perfect, thanks.
Does anyone know how to derive factor formulae? On page 125 it says:

sin(A+B) + sin(A-B) = 2sinAcosB
Let A+B = P and A-B = Q

Then A=(P+Q)/2 and B = (P-Q)/2
This is the part i dont get.. How does A and B equal that?

Shouldnt A = P-B and B = A-Q?
Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by it's a me, mario

Let A+B = P and A-B = Q

Posted from TSR Mobile

You get simultaneous equations here so when you add them, you get:

P+Q= (A+B)+(A-B)
P+Q= 2A
A= (P+Q)/2

When you minus them you get:

P-Q= (A+B)-(A-B)
P-Q= 2B
B= (P-Q)/2
Reply 995

Let A+B = P and A-B = Q

Posted from TSR Mobile

You shouldn't have to worry about it. It says nothing about factor formulae in our specification.
Original post by Lochy99
You get simultaneous equations here so when you add them, you get:

P+Q= (A+B)+(A-B)
P+Q= 2A
A= (P+Q)/2

When you minus them you get:

P-Q= (A+B)-(A-B)
P-Q= 2B
B= (P-Q)/2

Aaah, i get it now. Thanks :yy:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Anon-
You shouldn't have to worry about it. It says nothing about factor formulae in our specification.

Are you sure? No wonder it's never come up on a past paper :dontknow:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

I asked that question before couple days ago when I finished recapping C3 theory.

I did x12 past papers for my C3 mock back in December and never came across it. I'm assuming it's not on our specification. The same with modulus with inequalities.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's worth knowing because this did come up on a past paper I've done recently but I can't remember which one

Latest

Trending

Trending