The Student Room Group

Apple reveals new Music app to rival Spotify

BBC News
Apple has announced a new app that combines a streaming song and music video library, an internet radio station and a way for artists to share unreleased tracks and other material.

It includes a recommendation system that uses both human curators and computer algorithms to suggest songs.

The service is set to challenge Spotify, Tidal and other music apps. The app will allow users to stream music from iTunes' library and save tracks for offline playback.

Apple also revealed that the UK will be the first country to get its Apple Pay service outside of the US.

"A lot of people in the industry see the launch of the music service as a big deal, and their hope is that this will help take subscription-based streaming mainstream," commented Chris Cooke, from the news site Complete Music Update. "But Spotify has an ad-supported free level to help sell its premium packages, which Apple doesn't, so it still has a unique selling point."

The app also works with Apple's voice-controlled virtual assistant Siri, allowing subscribers to ask it to play a song from a movie soundtrack or year without needing to know the track's name.

Apple said the service would launch in more than 100 countries on 30 June, and would cost $9.99 (£6.50) per month in the US for one person - the same as Spotify - or $14.99 for families containing up to six people.

See the full article here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-33052584

So what do you think - given how huge Apple is, will they easily be able to outmatch Spotify? Or will Spotify's free service help them keep the edge?
(edited 8 years ago)
If Taylor Swift jumps over from Tidal it will be huge.
#tidalforall
Original post by That Bearded Man
If Taylor Swift jumps over from Tidal it will be huge.

The Lord has been on all the flop streaming services so far.
Spotify95
qfa

do you concur?
So what is the point in itunes now?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Na, I doubt Apple will overtake Spotify. Spotify is at an advantage since it's multi-platform. I can imagine it will get a following, but mostly amongst hardcore Apple fans.

Both Microsoft and Google (probably more powerful than Apple) tried to do it, and they still live under the Spotify shadow.

Besides, what makes Spotify popular among young fans is the student discount that comes with it. So unless Apple can offer a lower price, I cannot see a changeover occuring yet.
Original post by getfunky!
do you concur?

I doubt that Apple's new streaming service will overtake iTunes any time soon - there are people who also like to have a downloaded copy of the song as well.

As for Apple's service overtaking Spotify - possible, but honestly doubt that it will happen. Spotify is a well established service, and the only thing that will possibly sway people away from Spotify is if the Apple service will offer more features for less money.

Apart from Taylor Swift, virtually every other song is present on Spotify - and those that want to listen to Swift for free will download her songs elsewhere or use Youtube etc. And anyway, after Swift's latest abomination of a song, I won't be going near her.

Obviously this is just my take on things - it may end up being totally different.

Edit: Looks like the new service will be $10 per month - the same as Spotify in the US. If a similar price is used in the UK, I doubt that Apple Music will overtake Spotify.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by DiddyDec
So what is the point in itunes now?

Posted from TSR Mobile

To have a downloaded copy of the song for a one off price. Better than buying a whole album from a store if you only want one song.
There's some more information here about the app and how it works, if anyone is interested :h:
Reply 11
I like the fact there's an android app.

I hope it does well as more competition is good, I use Google Play Music myself because any missing tracks can be bought and uploaded myself, whereas on Spotify if they don't have the song then tough luck. But I prefer the multi-platform aspect of Spotify (Since it's on PS4 too), and their playlists actually have whats popular. If Apple music can combine what is the best of Spotify, iTunes and Google Play Music, and their android/web offerings aren't too bad, I could possibly switch, and it could also be quite the next big thing.

Quick Reply

Latest