The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 800
Original post by sagar448
The F=mg gives you the tension. Tension is the same along the string.
:biggrin:

ahhhh I see, clever clever.
Original post by wonderkid14
hey guys hope revision is going well!

does anyone know where i can find the june 2014 paper?

Aren't you a bit late? :/
Here it is attached with mark scheme.. get revising mate, I have a feeling this exam is going to be challenging.
Aren't you a bit late? :/
Here it is attached with mark scheme.. get revising mate, I have a feeling this exam is going to be challenging.

Why is it too late??
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Why is it too late??

Exam is like in two days XD
In my opinion it's best to get the past papers done and over with so you could try something new or go over them one more time. Thats me anyways, don't know why people leave it till this late.. :/

Exam is like in two days XD
In my opinion it's best to get the past papers done and over with so you could try something new or go over them one more time. Thats me anyways, don't know why people leave it till this late.. :/

Lol you'd disapprove of my usual method of grinding papers out day before

What do you do after past papers? There's nothing else to do
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Lol you'd disapprove of my usual method of grinding papers out day before

What do you do after past papers? There's nothing else to do

I usually just look at text book question or visit other websites such as this http://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/physics-revision/ocr-unit-4/#notesand look for more questions. Expose my self (not in that kind of way) to different exam boards. Then when it's time, I go over the few hard PPs. Thats about it. :biggrin:
I done all the past papers but i have an exam tomorrow for f334 chem :/, So cram tommorow afternoon XD. i have a feeling that it will be like june 2014 styled paper tbh.
We went through this earlier there are a few that come to mind....

Sorry, missed the earlier post.

Cheers!
Why is it called latent heat of fusion, if it's energy to melt something, doesn't fusion imply 'joining together'?
hi, can anyone explain Brownian motion and why it occurs please? Also, what do we need to know about an experiment for it?
Original post by gothmog827
hi, can anyone explain Brownian motion and why it occurs please? Also, what do we need to know about an experiment for it?

All you really need to know is the experiment. Brownian motion is itself just random movement of molecules hitting air particles. The experiment goes something along the lines of - put smoke in a jar; look at it under a microscope and the smoke molecules will appear to move randomly (illuminate the jar to see this).
26f027837927602265ae1af65fbb7d84.pngHi everyone,

If someone could explain this example for me that would be great. I just can't seem to get it. It may be to do with how it is all laid out.

Thanks in advance

EDIT - I used Ma Ua + Mb Ub = Ma Va + Mb Vb due to the principle of conservation of momentum
(edited 8 years ago)
Hi guys I have a question about circular motion. There have been past paper qs on this but I don't understand the markscheme/why.
So say a washing machine drum or a circlular rollercoaster, where is the least force (where the dude experiences weighlessness) and why?

Many thanks.
I feel silly having to check this, for E=1.5 kT. Does it work for any state of matter? Or just gases? The spec says that it's for mean translational kinetic energy. but as far as I'm aware, translational kinetic energy is only in gases,
Reply 814
Original post by Tazmain
I get the theory, but are those equations in our spec? I've never learnt/seen them before. :confused:

No, I don't think they're in the OCR textbook but it's worth learning them. The great thing is you'd get a mark for just writing them down even if you didn't know where to go from there.

T=2pi(m/k)^1/2 for mass-spring system - m is mass and k is spring const.
T=2pi(l/g)^1/2 for simple pendulum - l is length and g is freefall acceleration.

A few others: v=rw where v is the tangential speed of an object in circular motion, r is radius and w is the angular frequency
acceleration=w^2r and hence Force=mr(w^2)

K.E. = p^2/2m where p is momentum and m is mass

Anyone know any other mystery equations? Might be good to cram a few before Thursday and not worry about the spec ones as they'll be given anyway.
Reply 815
Original post by BecauseFP
I feel silly having to check this, for E=1.5 kT. Does it work for any state of matter? Or just gases? The spec says that it's for mean translational kinetic energy. but as far as I'm aware, translational kinetic energy is only in gases,

In solids and liquids I don't think the molecules can translate as fast (or indeed as far), so I think that just works for gases.
One other quick question, how is everyone defining Phase Difference? It's on the spec, but they've only asked it in G482.
Reply 817
One other quick question, how is everyone defining Phase Difference? It's on the spec, but they've only asked it in G482.

Maybe The difference in terms of one cycle a point on a wave is ahead of /behind another point?
In SHM oscillations the velocity, acceleration and displacement curves have a phase relationship:

image017.gif

Edit: Not Gonna Lie I have a feeling this might come up
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by MO2898
Maybe The difference in terms of one cycle a point on a wave is ahead of /behind another point?
In SHM oscillations the velocity, acceleration and displacement curves have a phase relationship:

image017.gif

Edit: Not Gonna Lie I have a feeling this might come up

Sadly, I expect it to come up as well, I think the only other thing they've not asked is the radian, but that's fairy obvious if you know the maths. The biggest issues I can see coming is if the G482 definition is acceptable for G484.
Reply 819
Sadly, I expect it to come up as well, I think the only other thing they've not asked is the radian, but that's fairy obvious if you know the maths. The biggest issues I can see coming is if the G482 definition is acceptable for G484.

Also, not sure if you sat it or not but the unit 2 paper last week had two questions covering phase relationships in waves.

Latest

Trending

Trending