The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Mathematics MPC4 Core 4 - 9th June 2015 [Discussion & unofficial markscheme]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by HennersPD
ah no when i integrated for 9a, think i didnt wirte the lhs as 1/4+5x^0.5 which meant my answer was really wierd at the end... will i lose all the marks despite having the right method?

No clue, sorry, your best bet (if nobody else knows) is to check past paper mark schemes for similar questions and their respective mark allocations. From that you could get a decent idea of how many marks you've probably gotten.
Original post by CD223
You won't lose ALL the marks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Think i got about 60/75 so I won't get my A* in maths :frown: so gutted! I messed up on that last question so badlyy! can i see soemone solution to the sinq question, calculating Q?
Original post by Jeff97
I got the same as you but we seem outnumbered by 60

Got 69.1 as well. In hindsight though I'm pretty sure the question just asked for the angle (not to any particular degree) which is a big sign that the answer is a whole number. Our arithmetic for the numerator must have gone wrong.
(edited 8 years ago)
To be honest, because everyone is saying on the whole it was okay but there were one or two questions we were a bit unsure about and there were a few little tricks thrown in there by AQA to confuse or try and trick us, I reckon the grade boundaries will be like last years but swapped. In other words, the C3 grade boundaries this year will be like last year's core 4 because it was a pretty tough paper, and this year's C4 grade boundaries will be like last year's core 3 which was slightly more standard than this years. So maybe 59 for an A in C4 and 54 for an A in C3? Because the papers were not really that easy, but Core 4 was easier in comparison to last years, so grade boundaries should still work in our favor (hopefully).
How much would 55 marks get me in UMS, like estimate?
Original post by Mechanical1
Got 69.1 as well. In hindsight though I'm pretty sure the question just asked for the angle (not to any particular degree) which is a big sign that the answer is a whole number. Our arithmetic for the numerator must have gone wrong.

From what I've read, those who got 69.1 had cos(angle) = 10/28, while 60 came from cos(angle) = 14/28 = 1/2. This is indicative that you messed up slightly somewhere when doing the scalar product :/.
Original post by KBen25
To be honest, because everyone is saying on the whole it was okay but there were one or two questions we were a bit unsure about and there were a few little tricks thrown in there by AQA to confuse or try and trick us, I reckon the grade boundaries will be like last years but swapped. In other words, the C3 grade boundaries this year will be like last year's core 4 because it was a pretty tough paper, and this year's C4 grade boundaries will be like last year's core 3 which was slightly more standard than this years. So maybe 59 for an A in C4 and 54 for an A in C3? Because the papers were not really that easy, but Core 4 was easier in comparison to last years, so grade boundaries should still work in our favor (hopefully).

Of course, then you consider how they actually distribute the grade boundaries - on a bell graph, where y is the number of people and x is the marks. So they look at their evil todo list and see that they need to distribute grade boundaries for the 2015 June series maths examinations, they then read on to see the Almighty Evil AQA Overlord has decided only 5% of people should get A*'s. So, they then plot the previously mentioned bell graph and say: aha, the top 5% of people had a minimum of 75/75! Consequently the A* grade boundary becomes 75 and AQA roflmao when everyone goes through clearing on results day

Kappa :frown:.

SERIOUSLY: I think your logic is correct there, though I imagine the C4 grade boundaries wouldn't exactly swap with the C3 ones because C4 is still harder as a unit so even though the relative difficult of the paper (to what it could have been) was less, when compared with a C3 paper of equal relative difficulty it was still harder.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by datpr0
From what I've read, those who got 69.1 had cos(angle) = 10/28, while 60 came from cos(angle) = 14/28 = 1/2. This is indicative that you messed up slightly somewhere when doing the scalar product :/.

Think my calculation for the numerator came out to be - 4 + 6 - 12 and then took the modulus, whereas the 14 must have come from 4 - 6 - 12, I assume? Don't know how I got my signs wrong.
Are you going to change the monstrosity you've posted as a 'correct' answer for 8A or not?
C4 Boundaries
A - 56
B - 51
A* 61

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by datpr0
Of course, then you consider how they actually distribute the grade boundaries - on a bell graph, where y is the number of people and x is the marks. So they look at their evil todo list and see that they need to distribute grade boundaries for the 2015 June series maths examinations, they then read on to see the Almighty Evil AQA Overlord has decided only 5% of people should get A*'s. So, they then plot the previously mentioned bell graph and say: aha, the top 5% of people had a minimum of 75/75! Consequently the A* grade boundary becomes 75 and AQA roflmao when everyone goes through clearing on results day.

Kappa :frown:.

Yes but similarly, it has to work both ways. They also need to focus on how everyone did nationally, and there will be a variation but if the marks are toward the lower end, they will have no other choice but to move the boundaries down. For C4 I imagine the marks will shift up a bit, so I'm expecting a lower boundary for C3 and a higher one for C4. But the difficulty of C4 is meant to be higher than that of C3 so there shouldn't be huge difference between the boundaries. Or at least this is the optimistic way of looking at it.
Original post by mufcryan
C4 Boundaries
A - 56
B - 51
A* 61

Posted from TSR Mobile

this would be a dream
Original post by mufcryan
C4 Boundaries
A - 56
B - 51
A* 61

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh dear oh dear, unlikely.

The grade boundaries will be:

A*-68
A-63
B-58
Reply 1873
Is there a poll?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Is there a poll?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you going to change the answer to 8, big boy?
Original post by KBen25
Yes but similarly, it has to work both ways. They also need to focus on how everyone did nationally, and there will be a variation but if the marks are toward the lower end, they will have no other choice but to move the boundaries down. For C4 I imagine the marks will shift up a bit, so I'm expecting a lower boundary for C3 and a higher one for C4. But the difficulty of C4 is meant to be higher than that of C3 so there shouldn't be huge difference between the boundaries. Or at least this is the optimistic way of looking at it.

You missed my edit :smile:, but yeah I agree.
Reply 1876
Original post by JackyDoyle4

What to?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JackyDoyle4

Whoa!! I'm guessing from your attitude that you didn't get any answer to 8....
I'm sure CD223 has plenty to do other than to bend to your every whim.

Look at my above post

June 2015 Core 4 Q8.jpg
Reply 1879
Original post by l1lvink
Whoa!! I'm guessing from your attitude that you didn't get any answer to 8....
I'm sure CD223 has plenty to do other than to bend to your every whim.

Lol thanks dude :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending