The Student Room Group

A2 OCR Chemistry B F334 - June 2015

Scroll to see replies

Jan 2012 f334 Q)4cii)

http://www.ocr.org.uk/qualifications/as-a-level-gce-chemistry-b-salters-h035-h435/

How are the units worked out..its come a couple of times and im not sure how they work the rate/or even k unit.
Original post by suyoof123
Jan 2012 f334 Q)4cii)

http://www.ocr.org.uk/qualifications/as-a-level-gce-chemistry-b-salters-h035-h435/

How are the units worked out..its come a couple of times and im not sure how they work the rate/or even k unit.

It took me a while but my teacher explained that you have to use the table. So for example if i want to find the order of lets say BrO3-AQ i look at that and pick two values that are different for example 0.01 to 0.02 concentration. However the other two concentrations of Br- aq and H+ aq have to stay constant so i picked the second table and third table for Br03- aq where that doubles and the other two stay constant. then the rate is 4 to 8 which means that when i double the concentration of BrO3- aq is dobule rate doubles so it is first order. Then you repeat the same thing with the other two concentration following this method.

Also for the unit you will need rate=K [A] but you need there orders in this case which i cant explain by writing XD You will have to square [moldm-3]^2 and re arrange the equation for K but remmeber some concentrations are second order which means it is to the power 2 and if it is first to the power 1 if it is zero order it is irrelevant. Then you use your mathematical skill to cancle units and get the right unit which differs for different equations of k
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by MathsAddict
It took me a while but my teacher explained that you have to use the table. So for example if i want to find the order of lets say BrO3-AQ i look at that and pick two values that are different for example 0.01 to 0.02 concentration. However the other two concentrations of Br- aq and H+ aq have to stay constant so i picked the second table and third table for Br03- aq where that doubles and the other two stay constant. then the rate is 4 to 8 which means that when i double the concentration of BrO3- aq is dobule rate doubles so it is first order. Then you repeat the same thing with the other two concentration following this method.

Also for the unit you will need rate=K [A] but you need there orders in this case which i cant explain by writing XD You will have to square [moldm-3]^2 and re arrange the equation for K but remmeber some concentrations are second order which means it is to the power 2 and if it is first to the power 1 if it is zero order it is irrelevant. Then you use your mathematical skill to cancle units and get the right unit which differs for different equations of k

I understand how to find the rate from the tables by comparing rates to find if 1st/2nd order. Thanks for clearing that up.

Its the unitsI cant figure when mol dm-3 divided by 4 * mold dm-3 comes to mol-3 and dm+9.
I think we may get a question on DNA, codons, anti-codons ect. Haven't had that for a while.
I understand how to find the rate from the tables by comparing rates to find if 1st/2nd order. Thanks for clearing that up.

Its the unitsI cant figure when mol dm-3 divided by 4 * mold dm-3 comes to mol-3 and dm+9.

Basically you know the rate equation so rate=k [BrO3-aq] [Br-aq]^2 [H+aq]

So k= rate/ all of the reactants

k= 4.5x10-6moldm-3s-1/ moldm-3 x (moldm-3)^2 x moldm-3
Ssee the highlighted part is expand it mol^2dm-6
so then cancel down some parts

k=s-1/moldm-3xmol^2dm-6
k= mol-^3dm9 s-1
Original post by Welbeck
I think we may get a question on DNA, codons, anti-codons ect. Haven't had that for a while.

Yeah i hardly see a lot of thread of life questions to do with DNA so i will look over them.
Do we need to know how to calculate Rf values?
Basically you know the rate equation so rate=k [BrO3-aq] [Br-aq]^2 [H+aq]

So k= rate/ all of the reactants

k= 4.5x10-6moldm-3s-1/ moldm-3 x (moldm-3)^2 x moldm-3
Ssee the highlighted part is expand it mol^2dm-6
so then cancel down some parts

k=s-1/moldm-3xmol^2dm-6
k= mol-^3dm9 s-1

Maths addict, very befitting ^^

So if you have moldm-3 divided by lets say 2 * moldm-3 then that becomes mol-1dm3?
In the revision guide it says that base pairing in DNA allows for replication, why is this?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Maths addict, very befitting ^^

So if you have moldm-3 divided by lets say 2 * moldm-3 then that becomes mol-1dm3?

if it is moldm-3 divided by moldm-3 becomes 0 :smile:
If it is moldm-3 divided by (moldm-3)^2 to the power 2 then it becomes moldm-3. Power rules hope that helps.
How do you know whether in E cells you use a platinum electrode instead of the electrode corresponding to the metal in the solution?
Does anyone have a list of all the reactions we need to know?
Original post by radhikagulati
How do you know whether in E cells you use a platinum electrode instead of the electrode corresponding to the metal in the solution?

Platinum/graphite is used for a standard hydrogen E cell
I have a STRONG feeling this test is gonna be very biology oriented
Original post by thedontom

I hope so! But why do you think that?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Welbeck
Platinum/graphite is used for a standard hydrogen E cell

Thank you! So for iron you would use a iron electrode and for copper you would use a copper electrode, etc x

What bio stuff do we need to know? Is that like the DNA bit, e.g. codons, anticodons, ethics, translation, transcription, etc? x
if it is moldm-3 divided by moldm-3 becomes 0 :smile:
If it is moldm-3 divided by (moldm-3)^2 to the power 2 then it becomes moldm-3. Power rules hope that helps.

Wouldn't it be mol^-1dm^3 ???
Original post by radhikagulati

What bio stuff do we need to know? Is that like the DNA bit, e.g. codons, anticodons, ethics, translation, transcription, etc? x

Yeah all that stuff... :/ I bet there's a 6 marker on translation or something stupid -.-
Wouldn't it be mol^-1dm^3 ???

Yeah sorry my bad inverse of my answer XD silly mistake. Yeah exactly what you said
Original post by poma123
Does anyone have a list of all the reactions we need to know?

I did but i lost it D: check at the back of your A2 Revise Guide and look for the relevent reactions for f334 and f332 as they cross link.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending