The Student Room Group

Economics applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Prince Quinton
Do you do an EPQ in conjunction with a subject you're already studying at A level in school? And do you do it in school? or if not how do you go about doing one? :P

No, it can be on anything. Usually it relates to things you want to do at uni. It counts as an AS, and you can be entered for it in school, but the actual work is done like coursework, although if your school doesn't offer it, it's not the end of the world.
Original post by H0PEL3SS
No, it can be on anything. Usually it relates to things you want to do at uni. It counts as an AS, and you can be entered for it in school, but the actual work is done like coursework, although if your school doesn't offer it, it's not the end of the world.

fair enough, is it done in year 13 generally or year 12? cause i haven't heard anything about it one this year in year 12 sooo :P And possible to do them out of school?
fair enough, is it done in year 13 generally or year 12? cause i haven't heard anything about it one this year in year 12 sooo :P And possible to do them out of school?

Either or.
And it might be, but I doubt it considering the fact that there is a mentor role in this (the most relevant subject teacher).
Reply 3703
I've only really recently started thinking of applying for economics, I've taken Maths, History, Chemistry and Biology at AS level and hopefully (Fingers crossed) ill take all 4 through to A level next year with best case scenario (Somehow) 4 A's and worst case about ABBB, Will not taking economics at AS/A level disadvantage me at all to get into a top economics uni e.g.. UCL, LSE or Warwick? And if I do badly this year say (BBBB) and then resit AS's next year alongside my A levels and say I manage (after resits) AAAA at as level and AAAB at a level will this be good enough to get me into a good economics school? Thanks I'm so confused right now cause some forums say like 80 percent or economics students in top uni's have economics a levels but then others say its not necessary and simply showing an understanding of economics from self studying and background reading is good enough? thankssssss

Well I didn't do A Level economics and I got ABBB at AS in biology, chemistry, French, physics but still ended up getting an offer from UCL. In fact I didn't even do maths in year 12; I wanted to do medicine originally and took A Level French instead, but then decided I wanted to study economics in uni so I've done AS and A2 maths in Year 13. I guess in my case they realised I could do much better judging by my GCSEs (10 A*s and 2As) so if you have around about the same number of A*s at GCSE, and you can get predicted 2/3 A*s in Year 13, and you can drop the most fire personal statement of 2015, then there's every chance that you will get an offer from a top uni like UCL, Warwick etc.
Original post by fha96
Well I didn't do A Level economics and I got ABBB at AS in biology, chemistry, French, physics but still ended up getting an offer from UCL. In fact I didn't even do maths in year 12; I wanted to do medicine originally and took A Level French instead, but then decided I wanted to study economics in uni so I've done AS and A2 maths in Year 13. I guess in my case they realised I could do much better judging by my GCSEs (10 A*s and 2As) so if you have around about the same number of A*s at GCSE, and you can get predicted 2/3 A*s in Year 13, and you can drop the most fire personal statement of 2015, then there's every chance that you will get an offer from a top uni like UCL, Warwick etc.

You've got similar grades to me!But my GCSES were terrible!Similar story to me lol!
If any economics applicants are interested in editing/writing for a nationwide, a-level economics magazine written by students, for students, then please see the link on tutor2u below:

http://beta.tutor2u.net/economics/blog/connected-economists-invitation-to-write

I am one of the founding editors, and the first edition was distributed around the world, with 2000 print copies. (I'll post a link at the bottom where you can order a free copy, first class delivery, no charge.) If any of you are interested, please either email me personally at: [email protected] or follow the instructions in the article. Both is best.

Obviously, this would look absolutely insane on a personal statement, and is exactly the sort of thing that will set you apart from all the other applicants, whether you're applying to Oxbridge, the LSE, or US universities. Contributors for the first magazine are now going on to universities such as Princeton, Stanford, Cambridge, the LSE etc..

Free magazine: http://tutor2u.net/acatalog/Connected-Economists-Summer-2015-3624.html#SID=581
Reply 3706
Hi Tom......
Well done ........ Let me know if you need any help.
Henry.

Original post by tggfootymad
If any economics applicants are interested in editing/writing for a nationwide, a-level economics magazine written by students, for students, then please see the link on tutor2u below:

I am one of the founding editors, and the first edition was distributed around the world, with 2000 print copies. (I'll post a link at the bottom where you can order a free copy, first class delivery, no charge.) If any of you are interested, please either email me personally at: [email protected] or follow the instructions in the article. Both is best.

Obviously, this would look absolutely insane on a personal statement, and is exactly the sort of thing that will set you apart from all the other applicants, whether you're applying to Oxbridge, the LSE, or US universities. Contributors for the first magazine are now going on to universities such as Princeton, Stanford, Cambridge, the LSE etc..

Free magazine: http://tutor2u.net/acatalog/Connected-Economists-Summer-2015-3624.html#SID=581
Original post by Lab1
Hi Tom......
Well done ........ Let me know if you need any help.
Henry.

Getting the word out! Let's also email/talk after exams to decide 'next steps'.
Original post by tggfootymad

This is really, really cool! If I was a year younger (current Year 13) I'd have definitely joined this.

I recommend creating a new topic in this forum, as well as the Economics study help forum, so that as many Economics students as possible read it.

All the best to you guys.
Original post by NikolaT
This is really, really cool! If I was a year younger (current Year 13) I'd have definitely joined this.

I recommend creating a new topic in this forum, as well as the Economics study help forum, so that as many Economics students as possible read it.

Thanks! Ok. Now to figure out how to do that....(I'm a novice on here you see!)
Original post by NikolaT

And, of course, feel free to contribute an article! It's really exciting holding the magazine in you hand and seeing you article there in print.
Original post by fha96

Sounds like you were in the exact same situation as I am ahahha, and thanks I got 8A*'S and 2A's (we only do 10 subjects for some reason) so similar to you and what were your A level results (or are you waiting for them now) out of interest? And lets hope I can do the same as you then! I wanted to do medicine originally as well too :P
Reply 3712
Sounds like you were in the exact same situation as I am ahahha, and thanks I got 8A*'S and 2A's (we only do 10 subjects for some reason) so similar to you and what were your A level results (or are you waiting for them now) out of interest? And lets hope I can do the same as you then! I wanted to do medicine originally as well too :P

Yeah it seems like you're in pretty much the same position as I was looooool. I'm in Year 13 atm so my A Level exams are still ongoing but I've been predicted 3A*s + A* in Welsh Bac so that's what I'm hoping for
Hey guys, can you assess what chances I have for Economics at a top-flight uni, and where may be appropriate?
GCSEs: 8A* 1A
AS post-exam predictions
Economics:
Micro - 85%
Macro - 98%
History:
Unit 1 - 96%
Unit 2 - 95%
Politics:
Unit 1 - 70%
Unit 2 - 95%
Maths:
C1 - 97%
C2 - 79%
S1 - 89%

I kind of messed up maths, what are my chances?
Original post by casiobose
Hey guys, can you assess what chances I have for Economics at a top-flight uni, and where may be appropriate?
GCSEs: 8A* 1A
AS post-exam predictions
Economics:
Micro - 85%
Macro - 98%
History:
Unit 1 - 96%
Unit 2 - 95%
Politics:
Unit 1 - 70%
Unit 2 - 95%
Maths:
C1 - 97%
C2 - 79%
S1 - 89%

I kind of messed up maths, what are my chances?

With only 4As at AS? No chance mate...
How do employers rate Economics from queen mary? I know its not a target university but it's a russell group and they are around 15th i think according to CUG. I like economics as a subject and I want to go into finance roles such as analyst or accountancy. Not really looking into IB atm
What are the maximum amount of books to mention on an economics or E and M PS?
Any thoughts on queen mary for economics and their general reputation? I think i will end up in queen mary :tongue:
Original post by casiobose
What are the maximum amount of books to mention on an economics or E and M PS?

I think I mentioned about three, and it didn't seem to hurt my chances :smile: You looking at Oxford then?
Original post by SheLikeTheMango
How do employers rate Economics from queen mary? I know its not a target university but it's a russell group and they are around 15th i think according to CUG. I like economics as a subject and I want to go into finance roles such as analyst or accountancy. Not really looking into IB atm

I'd consider Birmingham as well. They ask for the same grades, it's got a pretty good reputation and in my opinion I thought I would enjoy Birmingham more

But if you prefer queen mary than yeah it's got a pretty good reputation as well

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending