The Student Room Group

UNIT 3 - DEVELOPMENTS EDEXCEL A2 Religious Studies

Hi, just wanted to create an updated thread. I'm freaking about Ontological, just in regards to the question and how they might word it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

I'm struggling on how to structure religious language personally.
Reply 3
Does anyone have any notes I can use?
Original post by Drunken Bard
I'm struggling on how to structure religious language personally.

How do you mean?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ChloeLin
Does anyone have any notes I can use?

What do you need?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Hi is anyone doing religious language and ethical language?
What types of religious language show it to be meaningless...I understand the stuff I don't know how to apply it to the question e.g. I know verification and falsification show it to be meaningless, but what about analogy and language games?
also in ethical language, what are the problems and what are the solutions?
Reply 7
Original post by Bobbs
Hi is anyone doing religious language and ethical language?
What types of religious language show it to be meaningless...I understand the stuff I don't know how to apply it to the question e.g. I know verification and falsification show it to be meaningless, but what about analogy and language games?
also in ethical language, what are the problems and what are the solutions?

I'm stressing out so much about Ethical Theories, I really hope Deontology is there as a choice!!!
Reply 9
Original post by Alice Vincent
I'm stressing out so much about Ethical Theories, I really hope Deontology is there as a choice!!!

I'm hoping natural moral law is there as a choice!
Original post by alconnow
I'm hoping natural moral law is there as a choice!

Yeah, Natural Moral Law has come up every year so far, so following that they should go with it again :wink: I think they are gonna go with a question that asks you to examine the key features of any 2 of Natural Moral Law, Deontology or Virtue ethics.
Reply 11
What are the strengths of RL?????
Got the weaknesses from Hare regarding Bliks and so on...
Struggling with strengths :frown:
Original post by jtf1050
What are the strengths of RL?????
Got the weaknesses from Hare regarding Bliks and so on...
Struggling with strengths :frown:

Problems of RL (Those who would say RL is Meaningless): Verification Principle & Falsification Principle

Strengths of RL: you'd look into Language Games, Symbolism and Myth, Analogy, Hare's notion of Bliks works in defense of RL as it attempts to disprove the Falsification Principle.
Reply 13
Original post by UnoriginalG
Problems of RL (Those who would say RL is Meaningless): Verification Principle & Falsification Principle

Strengths of RL: you'd look into Language Games, Symbolism and Myth, Analogy, Hare's notion of Bliks works in defense of RL as it attempts to disprove the Falsification Principle.

We never learnt myth, symbol and analogy!
Can only answer the question of it asks to give view points on why it is meaningless :frown:
Original post by jtf1050
We never learnt myth, symbol and analogy!
Can only answer the question of it asks to give view points on why it is meaningless :frown:

Tbh you still have time to learn Myth, Symbols and Analogies, or maybe just focus on Analogy or Myth/Symbols?

Analogy is probably the easiest to learn as its already related the the study of Religious Language, Just learn the key points. Good Luck :smile:

Analogy
Aquinas argued that religious language is best understood through the use of analogy. He criticised univocal and equivocal language:Univocal - words have one objective meaning

But when we say God is Holy and we are holy it doesn't mean the same thing - we don't speak univocally in terms of religion

Equivocal - words have subjective meanings

But this means there is no objective meaning to words such as 'love', which Aquinas calls meaningless

Instead, Aquinas argued for two types of analogy:
Analogy of Attribution
The analogy of attribution states that our goodness comes directly from God. This is best highlighted with the analogy of a baker and bread. A load of bread is good because the baker is good; the attributes of the baker caused the attributes of the bread, even though the two don't necessarily share the two attributes. Similarly, God's attributes cause our attributes - our goodness comes from him. We don't know what it means for God to be good, but we know he is good because we see it in ourselves.

Analogy of Proportion
To understand the nature of God, it is best to use the analogy of proportion. This states that there is a proportionate relationship between all things. For example, the following statements are all proportionate to one another:

God has life

Humans have life

Plants have life

We understand plants as being 'alive' in a sense, but that doesn't compare to how we define ourselves as alive. Similarly, God's life is greater than ours; all things must be understood in proportion to one another.
Ian Ramsey supports Aquinas's idea of using analogies in religious language. Ramsey argues that words like 'kind' and 'caring' cannot be used univocally or equivocally, so we have to qualify the model with words such as 'infinitely' or 'eternally'. By qualifying our terms, we can use analogies to express God.

Criticisms of Analogy

Some argue that by using analogy we lose the meaning and purpose behind what we are trying to communicate - so perhaps it is meaningless as opposed to meaningful

St. Paul argued that we cannot accurately express God - even through analogy - until we 'see' him

(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by UnoriginalG
Tbh you still have time to learn Myth, Symbols and Analogies, or maybe just focus on Analogy or Myth/Symbols?

Analogy is probably the easiest to learn as its already related the the study of Religious Language, Just learn the key points. Good Luck :smile:

Analogy
Aquinas argued that religious language is best understood through the use of analogy. He criticised univocal and equivocal language:Univocal - words have one objective meaning

But when we say God is Holy and we are holy it doesn't mean the same thing - we don't speak univocally in terms of religion

Equivocal - words have subjective meanings

But this means there is no objective meaning to words such as 'love', which Aquinas calls meaningless

Instead, Aquinas argued for two types of analogy:
Analogy of Attribution
The analogy of attribution states that our goodness comes directly from God. This is best highlighted with the analogy of a baker and bread. A load of bread is good because the baker is good; the attributes of the baker caused the attributes of the bread, even though the two don't necessarily share the two attributes. Similarly, God's attributes cause our attributes - our goodness comes from him. We don't know what it means for God to be good, but we know he is good because we see it in ourselves.

Analogy of Proportion
To understand the nature of God, it is best to use the analogy of proportion. This states that there is a proportionate relationship between all things. For example, the following statements are all proportionate to one another:

God has life

Humans have life

Plants have life

We understand plants as being 'alive' in a sense, but that doesn't compare to how we define ourselves as alive. Similarly, God's life is greater than ours; all things must be understood in proportion to one another.
Ian Ramsey supports Aquinas's idea of using analogies in religious language. Ramsey argues that words like 'kind' and 'caring' cannot be used univocally or equivocally, so we have to qualify the model with words such as 'infinitely' or 'eternally'. By qualifying our terms, we can use analogies to express God.

Criticisms of Analogy

Some argue that by using analogy we lose the meaning and purpose behind what we are trying to communicate - so perhaps it is meaningless as opposed to meaningful

St. Paul argued that we cannot accurately express God - even through analogy - until we 'see' him

Thanks I appreciate the help!
Reply 16
For people doing religious experience ...
If it asks what are the key features of the argument from religious experience...
What are they?
I've got inductive/a posteriori but what else to write 18 marks on?! :frown:
Original post by Bobbs
For people doing religious experience ...
If it asks what are the key features of the argument from religious experience...
What are they?
I've got inductive/a posteriori but what else to write 18 marks on?! :frown:

It will usually be related to the existence of God, so I would say revise the inductive, cumulative, Swinburne's principles of testimony and credulity
does anyone have any notes for life after death im really struggling
Reply 19
what topics do you think will come up? i'm kind of freaking out about them being all the questions i'd rather not answer lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending