The Student Room Group

AQA Physics PHYA4 - Thursday 11th June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Hey guys,

Is there a significant difference between an AC electric motor and AC an electric generator? I thought they were the same thing? :s-smilie:

thanks
In a perfectly elastic collision is there a change in momentum?
Original post by Master Sam
Hey guys,

Is there a significant difference between an AC electric motor and AC an electric generator? I thought they were the same thing? :s-smilie:

thanks

I think an electric motor is a type of electric generator so effectively hey are the same thing
Tips for the multiple choice? like with the rearranging ones?
Original post by toddle1
In a perfectly elastic collision is there a change in momentum?

Yes because it's an "elastic" collision, it's like throwing a tennis ball at a wall, it will collide with the wall and change direction and so change momentum. Also kinetic energy is conserved so the change in momentum must be equal to 2mv (2xmassxvelocity).
At least I'm sure thats right.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3065
Original post by Adangu
I'm not exactly confident. I've hit the acceptance phase where it is what it is. Just keep working like. I need a B overall.

I know you'll do awesome mate!

I have WJEC C4 friday and thats what I'm not looking forward to.

Thanks!

Original post by Mehrdad jafari
Don't worry about it man, it's already done. The grade boundaries won't be as hight so you will be fine. Try to compensate for your other exams.

Not confident enough but Im just hoping it will fine which in fact won't be.
With maths, oh dear, I've not seen my maths teacher since easter.

Cheers :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by NEWT0N
Why does a transformer need alternating current?! (I know this is trivial, I could answer it easily just a few days ago before I crammed my brain with unit 5!)

something to do with the voltage not being able to be stepped down/up if it was DC but Im not sure why either
Original post by NEWT0N
Why does a transformer need alternating current?! (I know this is trivial, I could answer it easily just a few days ago before I crammed my brain with unit 5!)

Isn't it because DC won't produce an induced EMF in the secondary coil, because there is no change in flux linkage with a DC current?
What's the difference between AC and DC
Reply 3069
Original post by AR_95
What's the difference between AC and DC

Alternating current flows in both directions, direct is one direction only.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is the definition of time constant simply- the time take for the voltage to reduce to 37% or 1/e^1 its original value

Posted from TSR Mobile
Aqa are a nightmare when they make multiple choice questions with NO CORRECT ANSWER!! Or textbooks with the WRONG ANSWER!!! oh the precious time I have waisted!!!
Original post by gcsestuff
Is the definition of time constant simply- the time take for the voltage to reduce to 37% or 1/e^1 its original value

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep or just T=CR
Original post by Sbarron
Yep or just T=CR

Could also replace voltage with current or charge!!
Remember if there is a variable resistor keeping current constant then the circuit is NOT EXPONENTIAL! As I got caught out with this calculating something on a past question!
Original post by Plasmapause
Yes because it's an "elastic" collision, it's like throwing a tennis ball at a wall, it will collide with the wall and change direction and so change momentum. Also kinetic energy is conserved so the change in momentum must be equal to 2mv (2xmassxvelocity).
At least I'm sure thats right.

Can you show/explain why it's 2mv
I always get confused with this... I think it's just rearranging it all but can you explain a bit more please
Hey guys could anyone explain question 17 on this paper please: http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-PHYA41-QP-JUN14.PDF the answer is A but I'm just confused as to why the potential energy is positive...
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Sbarron
I always get confused with this... I think it's just rearranging it all but can you explain a bit more please

I think of it like change of momentum = mv-mu

because it is bouncing back and it is an elastic collision. One of the velocities can be said to be negative as it is in the opposite direction.

So the change in momentum would be mv-(-mv)
which is 2mv
Original post by Sbarron

Just prove it to yourself. Change in momentum = difference in velocity x mass. If you had a tennis ball that had a mass of M and when you throw it against the wall, it's velocity before colliding with the wall is V. Because it's an elastic collision, and the mass doesn't change and it's moving in the opposite direction at the same speed (so it's moving at a velocity of -V ). Difference in velocity is the velocity before collision minus the velocity after collision so ( V - -V) so basically V+V, hence 2V and so the momentum is 2MV (mass of the tennis ball did not change).
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1433866084.783941.jpg

Why is 8 not c.

I'm imaging a ball on a turntable. When it slides of how does it come of I a vertical plane?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by gcsestuff

Why is 8 not c.

I'm imaging a ball on a turntable. When it slides of how does it come of I a vertical plane?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's not C, because when the string snaps there is no force acting on it in the horizontal plane, however because gravity is acting on the string, it would be D.

"When released it goes off at a tangent to the circle... as if it had been thrown horizontally. Gravity affects its vertical velocity - acceleration in the vertical direction; it goes at constant velocity in the horizontal direction. It therefore follows a parabolic path when viewed in a verical plane."
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending