The Student Room Group

OCR Business studies F297 - SHL Pre- Release 2014/2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by josephrudd97
Yea I think so. 4 years to pay something back isn't bad and Sharon is saying it isn't a good financial investment so I think what I'm saying is right.

Think that maybe it's best to go on the assumption that the table is for SHL's investment, and use that the case study doesn't make it very clear as an evaluation point, to suggest that the pay back period could actually be way longer for SHL. I don't know, I find Mardidi such a grey area :frown:
Does anybody have an explanation on working out the critical path as I still don't get it? Thanks very much
Reply 322
Original post by josephrudd97
Yea I think so. 4 years to pay something back isn't bad and Sharon is saying it isn't a good financial investment so I think what I'm saying is right.

I agree with you totally,from the case study information it can be noted that Tim and Ian are not completely aware of the accurate financial information.

i think Mardidi is a waste of time, effort, and money
Original post by rb25
Does anyone have an predictions of exam questions?

I was thinking
1. CPA
2. Evaluate the appropriateness/effectiveness of CPA
3. Exchange rates? or UK social environment
4. Mardidi/teenage market
5. Stakeholder impacts on their objectives

Any other suggestions?

I agree!! I was thinking that the Mardidi/Sub-brand would be the 23 marker?

I think

1. CPA
2. Evaluate the appropriateness/effectiveness..
3. Exchange rates, potentially interest rates, social environment
4. Anything; successfulness... franchises.... stakeholders...
5. Mardidi/Sub-brand
Reply 324
Original post by FrankieG1
I agree!! I was thinking that the Mardidi/Sub-brand would be the 23 marker?

I think

1. CPA
2. Evaluate the appropriateness/effectiveness..
3. Exchange rates, potentially interest rates, social environment
4. Anything; successfulness... franchises.... stakeholders...
5. Mardidi/Sub-brand

Yes sounds good. I would hate for interest rates to come up, as their target audience are in a higher socio economic group they may not be highly affected by a rise in taxation and also the case study does not mention anything directly about lending. Exchange rates would be the best question for me as it is very straight forward. What about a question on sourcing abroad?
Original post by rb25
Does anyone have an predictions of exam questions?

I was thinking
1. CPA
2. Evaluate the appropriateness/effectiveness of CPA
3. Exchange rates? or UK social environment
4. Mardidi/teenage market
5. Stakeholder impacts on their objectives

Any other suggestions?

1 CPA
2 evaluate appropriateness or improvements
3 demographics
4 outsourcing/ off shoring
5 mardidi and teenage market

That's what I think

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Damini_11
1 CPA
2 evaluate appropriateness or improvements
3 demographics
4 outsourcing/ off shoring
5 mardidi and teenage market

That's what I think

Posted from TSR Mobile

What would you write for demographics?
Original post by rb25
Yes sounds good. I would hate for interest rates to come up, as their target audience are in a higher socio economic group they may not be highly affected by a rise in taxation and also the case study does not mention anything directly about lending. Exchange rates would be the best question for me as it is very straight forward. What about a question on sourcing abroad?

It sort of does in the profit and loss account it says that they paid 104k last year alone in interest which is a 82% increase on 2012. You could say that any interest rate increases would affect SHL more this year than it would have done on the previous year. Still not an awful amount, you also know they have an extra 1m in trade creditors so an increase in interest rates could affect this also.
A positive though is that SHL has a 2013 interest cover of 42.4 x which is huge! This means they are less likely to be negatively affected by interest rate changes in this situation. But you would have lower sales figures and things to contend with
Why would demographics/social changes come up? I think it's way too vague for its own question
Reply 329
you talk about the table on last page, about people living longer so they may want to widen their target audience age, lifestyle changes etc
Reply 330
Ive never really looked into that if I'm honest. whats the interest cover?
Original post by rb25

An indicator is that SHLs current cash position is poor, (£107,000) therefore to finance expenditures it's likely they would need to borrow... etc

The question 4. could be a variety of things, including that!
Interest rates came up last year, so is there 0 chance it will come up this year

Posted from TSR Mobile
What's the formula for Total Floats?
If anyone needs any help, I got an A* in business studies overall including a 118/120 in this god foresaken paper:smile:
message away and I will respond on my next revision break!
Original post by imothornhill
What would you write for demographics?

Using appendix 2

Comment on how they may need to do something new as therr target maket is saturating. If they don't they may see falling sales. Also comment on teenage market. 25% unemployed does this mean that teenagerd won't afford it and have to lower the prices?? In turn could damage reputation of the 'aspirational'

Posted from TSR Mobile
Regardless of the paper and questions here are a few points to consider:
It is a synoptic unit!! this means that you need to draw from knowledge from all areas since year 12!!
I had an awful day on the exam! I woke up late, my body still thought it was asleep because of the all nighter I pulled, missed the bus, was late but still managed to make it happen!!
Anybody who is reading the APT pack stop right there!!
the apt pack is purely for guidence and should no way be relied on! the times before in past years that i relied on apt resulted in me gaining a lower grade in the papers which I knew I did not deserve.
Make sure you know the theory and the possible mathematics question because that is 13 easy marks straight in the begining!
As regards to time, be strict with yourself! Please remember it is quality not quantity. However, having said that, save enough time for the last question as you can talk about nearly anything as long as you can relate it to the business in question!!
use connective words and stuff to make sure you are hitting the high levels consistently.
Conclude with your recommendation at the end with evidence!
Original post by death gazer
If anyone needs any help, I got an A* in business studies overall including a 118/120 in this god foresaken paper:smile:
message away and I will respond on my next revision break!

i don't understand so you've already done this paper? how come you're resitting? a guess a good first question would be what do you think will come up in the exam!
Original post by anish.s97
What's the formula for Total Floats?

LFT - DURATION - EST

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MikeyCheung
i don't understand so you've already done this paper? how come you're resitting? a guess a good first question would be what do you think will come up in the exam!

I am not resitting, I am on my gap year doing extra A levels because I was bored. I only came across this thread to see if anyone wanted help

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending