The Student Room Group

Anti Vaccinations

I was just wondering how everyone feels about vaccination and those who choose not to vaccinate their children.I have friend (who may be on here hence the anon) who did not vaccinate their kids and am horrified by the choice!Australia's move on vaccination law is definitely interesting!This article from spain also shocked me http://www.iflscience.com/health-and-medicine/spain-s-first-case-diphtheria-28-years-due-lack-vaccinationThese parents are so ill informed at putting their children and the lives of others at real risk.

Scroll to see replies

i ll always vaccinate my kids and have everyone of mine done, dont want to get other people ill and decrease population immunity by being silly
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
i ll always vaccinate my kids and have everyone of mine done, dont want to get other people ill and decrease population immunity by being silly

I know it's just absolute madness that anyone would choose to put someone they love at risk when it is so so so unnecessary these days.
The parents in the article claimed they felt guilty but like they're been tricked?! I mean who tricked them...? If they weren't fully aware of the risks then they shouldn't be allowed to make that decision.
Original post by Anonymous
I know it's just absolute madness that anyone would choose to put someone they love at risk when it is so so so unnecessary these days.
The parents in the article claimed they felt guilty but like they're been tricked?! I mean who tricked them...? If they weren't fully aware of the risks then they shouldn't be allowed to make that decision.

tricked by silly anti vaxers i suppose
i think they should spend out info as to what risk they take if they dont take a vaccination, not quite scare tactics but ensuring they know what harm they could cause
Idiots.
I get angry with people who choose not to have vaccinations/vaccinate their children. If you don't vaccinate your kids you're putting their lives at risk and you're reducing herd immunity for those who can't have vaccines due to their immune system or children who are too young for the relevant vaccine. Also, as my friend who has Asperger's says, if you choose not to vaccinate with the MMR jab because of (unfounded) fears it causes autism you're saying you'd rather have a dead child than an autistic one. Which is frankly disgusting.
Anti-vaxxers are one of the worst groups in existence. Just a bunch of idiots who have absolutely no clue what they're fighting against and couldn't understand a scientific article and research paper if someone sat there and explained it to them for 7 hours straight.These people are so far into their crazy conspiracies they can't see the light from inside their arse.
Whist I'm not one there is a history of vaccines really messing up people. Especially in america.There are also things that were given to pregnant women that were later found to increase the risk of damaging malformations for babies.

The real ******s are the media that will behave incredibly irresponsibly that will fuel the fear.

People should get vaccines but there is no way I'm supporting the state forcing people to have them.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by SmallTownGirl
Also, as my friend who has Asperger's says, if you choose not to vaccinate with the MMR jab because of (unfounded) fears it causes autism you're saying you'd rather have a dead child than an autistic one. Which is frankly disgusting.

Whilst that may make sense form a rational perspective, in the sense of weighing up the probability of getting autism to getting one of the MMR diseases. That isn't how they will think. The thought process in their mind is not going to be " I would rather have a dead child than one with Asperger's".
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Whilst that may make sense form a rational perspective, in the sense of weighing up the probability of getting autism to getting one of the MMR diseases. That isn't how they will think. The thought process in their mind is not going to be " I would rather have a dead child than one with Asperger's".

But that is EXACTLY what they're saying. They'd willing risk their child DYING because they're scared they won't be 'perfect'.
Original post by SmallTownGirl
But that is EXACTLY what they're saying. They'd willing risk their child DYING because they're scared they won't be 'perfect'.

it's nothing to do with being "perfect".
the only reason anyone ever thought the MMR jab caused autism is that Dr wakefield made up his data and this has since been proven countless times to be wrong. http://www.nhs.uk/news/2007/January08/Pages/MMRvaccinedoesnotcauseautism.aspx. If anyone believes a study that was falsified data based on a sample of 12 children ( i mean who trusts a study of 12 people) i would question any other medical decisions made by them to be honest.
My Mum chose not to vaccinate myself and my brother (we're 16 and 14), we have been treated with homeopathy instead - we are both incredibly healthy.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by Sarah1999
My Mum chose not to vaccinate myself and my brother (we're 16 and 14), we have been treated with homeopathy instead - we are both incredibly healthy.

Sarah

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're 16 and 14 - I would be more than a little surprised if you were suffering from chronic, multiple organ failure.

Also, you've never had measles, mumps, rubella, typhoid, dyptheria etc not because your mother chose to entrust your health to the utterly illogical quackery that is homeopathy but rather thanks to all the other responsible parents that ensured you were protected thanks to herd immunity...

When you hit 70, let me know how well tap water with essence of cyanide (or whatever other rubbish they dissolve in there at doses which wouldn't have a therapeutic effect in an ant) works for your COPD, Alzheimers, CHF, Angina, renal failure, cancer etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sarah

Posted from TSR Mobile

Homeopathy is bull**** and I think choosing 'treatments' with no scientific basic is child abuse. Fair enough once you're only enough to make the decision for yourself that's fine but not a baby.
Choosing not to vaccinate your child is wrong, because it endangers the lives of others, not only by decreasing the effectiveness of Herd Immunity, but because some people cannot have vaccines because they are too young (e.g. newborns) or have a medical condition (e.g. pregnancy/undergoing chemotherapy) and so rely on everyone else being vaccinated.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Whist I'm not one there is a history of vaccines really messing up people. Especially in america.There are also things that were given to pregnant women that were later found to increase the risk of damaging malformations for babies.

The real ******s are the media that will behave incredibly irresponsibly that will fuel the fear.

People should get vaccines but there is no way I'm supporting the state forcing people to have them.

I agree that people should get vaccinations, but the drug you are referring to is Thalidomide which was not a vaccination and now we have stricter drug testing laws so that it won't happen again :smile:

Sarah

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, the reason you are healthy is due to the herd effect. It is basically where if 95% of the population are vaccinated, then the remaining 5% are mainly (but not always) protected because it is difficult for the pathogen to spread. Otherwise, how healthy would you be if you got rubella or polio?
As well as that, although some people claim homeopathy may have 'cured' them have you ever heard of the placebo effect? It is basically where if you believe that the drug you are given will help you, then you are more likely to get better. This is why for drug tests, the have 'double-blind' trials, neither the patient nor doctor knows what drug they are getting so at the end of the trial they can see whether the drug is actually effective.

Because the government made smallpox vaccinations compulsory in 1851 (and enforced it in 1872), the disease is now extinct. We wiped out an entire disease by making people get vaccinations, which has saved countless lives. Whilst I don't know whether it would be ethically right, if a vaccination has no side effects, scientifically it would make sense for the government to enforce it.
The MMR vaccination controversy, as others have mentioned was based on biased data. Any increases in the diagnosis of autism were because this condition was becoming better known, so more people tied to get their child diagnosed.

Sarah

Posted from TSR Mobile

Confirmation bias at its finest.

I know you love your mum, and want to think what she has done is completely right and plausible. But I'm afraid the vast majority of homoeopathic medicine has no basis in anything other than anecdotal evidence (which is often clouded by confirmation bias). And homoeopathy cannot in any way replace vaccines.

Please educate yourself so that you make better informed decisions for your own health in the future, though I assume it's too late for your mum.
Original post by SophieSmall
Confirmation bias at its finest.

I know you love your mum, and want to think what she has done is completely right and plausible. But I'm afraid the vast majority of homoeopathic medicine has no basis in anything other than anecdotal evidence (which is often clouded by confirmation bias). And homoeopathy cannot in any way replace vaccines.

It works wonders for dehydration though.

Quick Reply

Latest