The Student Room Group

OCR MEI C3 Maths June 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lizard54142
x

Original post by poorform
Lx

Either of you taking further maths or sure you'll get an A* overall in maths?

I would love some tips and stuff. Studying this thing alone, self teaching home schooled. :frown:
Original post by QueenAryela
Either of you taking further maths or sure you'll get an A* overall in maths?

I would love some tips and stuff. Studying this thing alone, self teaching home schooled. :frown:

I'm self teaching A2 Further Maths, I believe poorform is an undergrad (correct me if I'm wrong!).

What do you struggle with in C3?
I'm self teaching A2 Further Maths, I believe poorform is an undergrad (correct me if I'm wrong!).

PM me please x

Yes I am an undergrad only finished year one a couple of weeks ago.

Original post by QueenAryela
PM me please x

Post any problems and there are lots of people who are willing to help :smile:
Yes I am an undergrad only finished year one a couple of weeks ago.

Post any problems and there are lots of people who are willing to help :smile:

Nice congrats on finishing your 1st year:awesome:

What is the fastest way to minimise mistakes made in C3 whilst maintaining working pace? Its such an accident-prone unit for me:colondollar:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Leechayy
Nice congrats on finishing your 1st year:awesome:

What is the fastest way to minimise mistakes made in C3 whilst maintaining working pace? Its such an accident-prone unit for me:colondollar:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks.

Practice and checking I suppose. I still sometimes make stupid mistakes, but not as frequently as I used to. Just make sure you check the obvious things what are easily to make mistakes on. Checking whether your answer is reasonable is quite useful also say if you work through a question and you end up with a distance of 100000000 miles for example you may be a bit suspicious you've made a mistake.
(edited 8 years ago)
I never know what rule to use when you integrating/differentiating any tips?
Original post by Alevelstudent678

Differentiating:

products-----product rule

function of a function-----chain rule

quotient-----quotient rule

integration

product----substitution/parts

often you can inspect some integrals

with more practice you will learn to spot which methods work/won't.

Also learn all the standard results like integrals of ln(x) dx and derivative of tan x = sec^2(x) as these come up often.
okay cheers, when integrating how do you know what to use as u? or if you have to use u at all?
Differentiating:

products-----product rule

function of a function-----chain rule

quotient-----quotient rule

integration

product----substitution/parts

often you can inspect some integrals

with more practice you will learn to spot which methods work/won't.

Also learn all the standard results like integrals of ln(x) dx and derivative of tan x = sec^2(x) as these come up often.

What do you think are the most difficult elements of this unit?
okay cheers, when integrating how do you know what to use as u? or if you have to use u at all?

Depends on the question really. I think they sometimes give you the substitutions at a level.

If you had something like xex2 dx\displaystyle \int xe^{-x^2} ~dx then you should notice that since ddx(x2)=2x\displaystyle \frac{d}{dx} (x^2)=2x a appropriate substitution would be
Unparseable latex formula:

\displaystyle u=x^2}

as it leads to some nice cancelling.

This is often the case with integrals like sin(x)cos(x) dx\displaystyle \int sin(x)cos(x)~dx

Differentiating:

fg(x)fg(x) - chain rule

f(x)g(x)\dfrac{f(x)}{g(x)} - quotient rule

f(x)g(x)f(x)g(x) - product rule

Integration:

f(x)g(x)f(x)g(x) - integration by parts

fg(x)fg(x) - integration by substitution

Obviously try and avoid parts at all costs, so try and see if you can do it by "recognition".
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Hody421
What do you think are the most difficult elements of this unit?

hard to say really. I remember a lot of people having trouble with domains and ranges of inverse trig functions. But I think it varies person to person.
I would also recommend knowing that ln(x) dx\displaystyle \int ln(x)~dx is evaluated by using parts and re-writing the integral as 1ln(x) dx\displaystyle \int 1 \cdot ln(x)~dx.
Reply 74
Is anyone going to section B first? I'm really tempted to because I don't want to be rushing the challenging questions at the end of section B.
http://www.mei.org.uk/files/papers/c310ja_4753.pdf
Anyhelp please. I dont know how to do 8(i) .
Original post by Velocity_

At P and Q y=0, and x>0. You have to consider the period of cos3xcos3x
Original post by Velocity_

xcos3x = 0 since y=0 is how you find x-intersections
cox3x = 0 (divide x by both sides)

The cos graph intersects the x axis at 90 degrees and 270 degrees. cos3x means squashing the x values by scale factor 1/3 so 90/3 = 30 and 270/3.

Convert to radians, 30 degrees equals to pi/6 and 90 degrees equals pi/2.

Answer is in radians because you can't express co-ordinates in terms of degrees and it seems odd.
What resources are people using to revise? I really hate the textbook so if anyone knows any good websites or youtube channels it would be much appreciated :smile:
Original post by AnnaLouii
What resources are people using to revise? I really hate the textbook so if anyone knows any good websites or youtube channels it would be much appreciated :smile:

I recommend using past papers and just doing as many question as possible before the exam. Focus on areas you are stuck on. Good luck.

Quick Reply

Latest