The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Biology BIOL5 - 17th June 2015

Scroll to see replies

I can't see it because i'm not part of the group, hmmm i really hope this isn't true. Surely the papers won't have even left the AQA centre yet? they wouldn't be distributed to centres this early.
Original post by LordWillcox
This message was just put on Manchester Freshers page;

Do not wish to stress any fellow AQA biology students out
(Of which I hope all of your Biol4 papers went swimmingly)
Apparently the Biol5 paper was "Hijacked" as the van was mistaken for carrying cash, so apparently we are sitting the 2016 BIOL5 paper,
I have asked my teacher (AQA Principal examiner) what the situation is and if he responds then I'll keep you updated!I'm currently stressing because apparently fly the specification was changing after 2015
And also apparently the 2016 paper is disgustingly hard (all according to the guy who wrote it, my teacher)

Aqa have precautions for these events so we will not be at a disadvantage.
If the paper is as hard as your teacher says then the grade boundaries will most certainly be dropped.
Original post by LordWillcox
This message was just put on Manchester Freshers page;

Do not wish to stress any fellow AQA biology students out
(Of which I hope all of your Biol4 papers went swimmingly)
Apparently the Biol5 paper was "Hijacked" as the van was mistaken for carrying cash, so apparently we are sitting the 2016 BIOL5 paper,
I have asked my teacher (AQA Principal examiner) what the situation is and if he responds then I'll keep you updated!I'm currently stressing because apparently fly the specification was changing after 2015
And also apparently the 2016 paper is disgustingly hard (all according to the guy who wrote it, my teacher)

Having a hard time believing this lol just sounds too unlikely. Is this actually legit?
Original post by mck9777
Having a hard time believing this lol just sounds too unlikely. Is this actually legit?

I don't think it is as the papers get sent to the centres on line, so I don't see why a van getting caught would affect it.
Wow what a load of trolling.
First of all, exams for 2016 won't have even been written yet.
Secondly, teachers cannot write the papers, they can only mark them.
If this was true, a Manchester's freshers page wouldn't suffice as reliable at all.
Original post by prophetkid
Wow what a load of trolling.
First of all, exams for 2016 won't have even been written yet.
Secondly, teachers cannot write the papers, they can only mark them.
If this was true, a Manchester's freshers page wouldn't suffice as reliable at all.

Not saying I believe it, but teachers can write papers. As papers are written by senior examiners and they may sometimes be teachers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 426
*facepalm*
Original post by Mattg97
I have no idea what you mean by that, I will confirm wether the rumour is true or not on Friday as I am going to meet with my teacher to discuss the matter

It is very unlikely considering there has been no official report of it either by Ofqual, AQA, or any news reports.
Original post by prophetkid
It is very unlikely considering there has been no official report of it either by Ofqual, AQA, or any news reports.

I'm not thick, of course I know this, but as I've said the whole time, better safe than sorry, and I was purely being informative
Original post by Mattg97
I'm not thick, of course I know this, but as I've said the whole time, better safe than sorry, and I was purely being informative

I wasn't directing this at you specifically. I too was also being informative.
Is it possible to get a high mark (12+) in content for the essay even if you missed out a topic ie. only achieve 2/3 for breadth?
Original post by Mattg97
No it's not, its marked sequentially, you need breadth of knowledge to gain the other marks

Ah right, because I found this AQA document on guidance to marking the essay and one essay which was exceptional in its content only got 2/3 on breadth but did get 16/16 on content. But perhaps this is rare?
Very rare, if you know how it's marked its very easy to get full marks,
I've attempted 2 essays and got 25 and 20,
You want to state your topic related to the question,
Make two points within that topic (preferably off spec info)
And move on,
Eg
Q = causes of variation,
Topic = mutations
Point 1 =
Addition deletion substitution translocation inversion
Point 2 = cystic fibrosis is caused by a single deletion mutation in a 25,000 long base sequence, this causes variation
AND THEN MOVE ON
Cystic fibrosis is off spec, if you do this 5/6 times in the essay you'll get top marks,
Translocation and inversion are also off spec
I'm doing some essay practise, and I've just done the essay on cycles from June 2011. There were a couple of topics that I included that weren't on the mark scheme, admittedly they aren't the most obvious cycles, but just wondering if you thought either of them would gain credit? And if not could you explain why?

Nerve impulses
Negative Feedback (with blood glucose)

Thanks in advance :smile:
Original post by Laurasage
I'm doing some essay practise, and I've just done the essay on cycles from June 2011. There were a couple of topics that I included that weren't on the mark scheme, admittedly they aren't the most obvious cycles, but just wondering if you thought either of them would gain credit? And if not could you explain why?

Nerve impulses

Yeah you will gain credit, a section in the marking guide says be prepared to accept any other relevant examples, so as long as you explained them clearly in relation to the essay title you will get the cred :smile:
Hows revision going for everyone? This exam is mostly application and HSW:colonhash:, oh and a synoptic essay ..fun!
Original post by Laurasage

Nerve impulses

If quantified the reflex arc could be a cycle that would qualify for marks
And negative feedback could be seen as mark worthy if referred to as the feedback loop and valid points were given then it could be mark worthy
Hi everyone hope revision is going well :smile:

Just a quick question, for mutations, do we need to know about all the different types of substitution mutations e.g nonsense mutation, mis-sense mutation & silent mutations; or just about substitution generally without this knowledge.

Thanks in advance!
Original post by mck9777
Yeah you will gain credit, a section in the marking guide says be prepared to accept any other relevant examples, so as long as you explained them clearly in relation to the essay title you will get the cred :smile:

Original post by Mattg97
If quantified the reflex arc could be a cycle that would qualify for marks
And negative feedback could be seen as mark worthy if referred to as the feedback loop and valid points were given then it could be mark worthy

Thank you both :smile:
I think I explained the points clearly, it's hard to tell when you're the one who wrote it though, because you know what you were trying to say!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending