The Student Room Group

AQA Physics PHYA4 - Thursday 11th June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

??
Original post by AR_95

??

EQ=ma

Now solve as you know the charge and mass of an electron!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by NEWT0N
The jan2010 has everything on power losses in a transformer. Another paper has stuff on power transmission via national grid. Then you just need to know the basics like how a transformer works and that's all I think.

Alright cheers, I'll have another look at the power losses!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by NEWT0N
For convenience let the charges be x and y and let k=14πε0k=\frac{1}{4\pi \varepsilon_0} (because we suspect we won't need the exact value since this is essentially a "ratios" exercise. By Coulomb's law we have F=kxyd2F=\frac{kxy}{d^2}. We are also given that 0.5F=kxy2020.5F=\frac{kxy}{20^2} (where all distances are in mm). Therefore substituting the first equation into the second one we get 0.5(kxyd2)=kxy2020.5(\frac{kxy}{d^2})=\frac{kxy}{20^2}, hence 0.5d2=1202\frac{0.5}{d^2}=\frac{1}{20^2}. Now take square roots and stuff and solve for d.

EDIT: Whoops silly mistake, now edited.

you sir are an angel! However - what part of the question implies that it's d+20x10^3 for the 0.5F part?
EDIT: nvm lol
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by NEWT0N
By definition F=Eq=1.5×105×1.6×1019=2.4×1014F=Eq=1.5\times 10^5\times 1.6\times 10^{-19}=2.4\times 10^{-14}, hence F=ma=2.4×1014F=ma=2.4\times 10^{-14}. Since this is an electron m=9.11×1031m=9.11\times 10^{-31}. Plug in and solve to get a.

EDIT: Sniped :frown:

Original post by Jimmy20002012
EQ=ma

Now solve as you know the charge and mass of an electron!

Posted from TSR Mobile

FFS that's simple as ****, it's always the basic ones that get me
Two pendulums, P and Q, are set up alongside each other. The period of P is 1.90s andthe period of Q is 1.95s. How many oscillations are made by pendulum Q between two consecutive instantswhen P and Q move in phase with each other?

any quick method for working these out?
if some one could kindly explain

Original post by NEWT0N
19) Answer: D.
By Fleming's left hand rule the force acts at right angles to both the conventional current (opposite the velocity of the electron) and the field. Thus at any rate the force is at right angles to the field.

21) Answer: A.
Φ=BANcosθ\Phi=BAN\cos \theta.
At θ=50o\theta=50^o we have Φ=(2.8×102)(4.2×103)(50)(cos50o)=3.779...Wb turns\Phi=(2.8\times 10^{-2})(4.2\times 10^{-3})(50)(\cos 50^o)=3.779... Wb\ turns.
At θ=0o\theta=0^o we clearly just have Φ=BAN\Phi=BAN, which is simply the previous answer divided by cos50o\cos 50^o (since previous answer = BANcos50oBAN\cos 50^o). Therefore 3.779...cos50o=5.88×103Wb turns\frac{3.779...}{\cos 50^o}=5.88\times 10^{-3}Wb\ turns.
It follows that ΔΦ=5.88×1033.779...×103=2.1×103Wb turns (2 s.f)\Delta\Phi=5.88\times 10^{-3}-3.779...\times 10^{-3}=2.1\times 10^{-3}Wb\ turns\ (2\ s.f), as claimed.

24) Answer: Not entirely sure about this one but I think it's A.
Step up transformer so Np<NsN_p<N_s. For any transformer at all it's obvious that PoutPinP_{out}\le P_{in} (with equality if and only if it is 100% efficient). Therefore IsVsIpVpI_sV_s\le I_pV_p or IsIpVpVs=NpNs<1\frac{I_s}{I_p}\le \frac{V_p}{V_s}=\frac{N_p}{N_s}<1 where the final inequality follows from the fact that Np<NsN_p<N_s (see above). We also have ΦN\Phi\propto N since B,A and theta are all constant in this situation (and Φ=BANcosθ\Phi=BAN\cos \theta). Therefore ΦsΦp=NsNp>1\frac{\Phi_s}{\Phi_p}=\frac{N_s}{N_p}>1.

24 is A yep.

21) that was my initial approach of doing things but I didn't follow through unfortunately
Original post by Fred Cantoni
I got 23 in that one! One of my better ones :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well done mate proud of you have a gold star

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Corectspelling
Two pendulums, P and Q, are set up alongside each other. The period of P is 1.90s andthe period of Q is 1.95s. How many oscillations are made by pendulum Q between two consecutive instantswhen P and Q move in phase with each other?

any quick method for working these out?

The difference between them is 0.05

If you want to find Q you divide P by 0.05 and that will give you the number

Don't know how it works though lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3110
How is everyone spending tomorrow revising? It's my first full day before the exam focusing on PHYA4 -,-

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by NEWT0N
19) Answer: D.
By Fleming's left hand rule the force acts at right angles to both the conventional current (opposite the velocity of the electron) and the field. Thus at any rate the force is at right angles to the field.

21) Answer: A.
Φ=BANcosθ\Phi=BAN\cos \theta.
At θ=50o\theta=50^o we have Φ=(2.8×102)(4.2×103)(50)(cos50o)=3.779...Wb turns\Phi=(2.8\times 10^{-2})(4.2\times 10^{-3})(50)(\cos 50^o)=3.779... Wb\ turns.
At θ=0o\theta=0^o we clearly just have Φ=BAN\Phi=BAN, which is simply the previous answer divided by cos50o\cos 50^o (since previous answer = BANcos50oBAN\cos 50^o). Therefore 3.779...cos50o=5.88×103Wb turns\frac{3.779...}{\cos 50^o}=5.88\times 10^{-3}Wb\ turns.
It follows that ΔΦ=5.88×1033.779...×103=2.1×103Wb turns (2 s.f)\Delta\Phi=5.88\times 10^{-3}-3.779...\times 10^{-3}=2.1\times 10^{-3}Wb\ turns\ (2\ s.f), as claimed.

24) Answer: Not entirely sure about this one but I think it's A.
Step up transformer so Np<NsN_p<N_s. For any transformer at all it's obvious that PoutPinP_{out}\le P_{in} (with equality if and only if it is 100% efficient). Therefore IsVsIpVpI_sV_s\le I_pV_p or IsIpVpVs=NpNs<1\frac{I_s}{I_p}\le \frac{V_p}{V_s}=\frac{N_p}{N_s}<1 where the final inequality follows from the fact that Np<NsN_p<N_s (see above). We also have ΦN\Phi\propto N since B,A and theta are all constant in this situation (and Φ=BANcosθ\Phi=BAN\cos \theta). Therefore ΦsΦp=NsNp>1\frac{\Phi_s}{\Phi_p}=\frac{N_s}{N_p}>1.

Wouldn't 21 be B) ? You're increasing flux linkage.
Original post by CD223
How is everyone spending tomorrow revising? It's my first full day before the exam focusing on PHYA4 -,-

Posted from TSR Mobile

In my chemistry exam :/ which is also in the afternoon, for bonus annoyingness for physics! And I have come down the the cold from hell so hopefully the revision I've done so far will be enough with a quick recap tomorrow evening
I'm lost...
Power loss stuff that you need to know:

The bindings around the core need to be of low resistance as possible. As when the large AC current flows a hearing effect in the current occurs. Using thick copper is best. This is most important on the higher current side of the transformer (so in a step up voltage is less on the primary coil therefore current must be more, as power has to be conserved.

The AC current de magnitizes and magnitizes the core continuously in opposite directions due to the AC current traveling around the core. This means that the metal need to be magnetically soft so that no energy Is lost when the magnetic flow reverses. Iron is used.

Core design- if there is a large distance between the two coils this can be inefficient and energy wasted. By better design, such as placing the coils on top of each other this can be reduced.

To prevent the phenomenon of eddy currents the core needs to be laminated. As the magnetic flux passing through the core is changing continuously the core is being cut by flux continuously changes emf. This heats the core. Separating the magnetic core prevent unnecessary flux being cut

Hope this help! Hope they come up too! Just done this from memory

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by IWantSomeMushu
I'm lost...

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1433876429.654516.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3116
Original post by Lau14
In my chemistry exam :/ which is also in the afternoon, for bonus annoyingness for physics! And I have come down the the cold from hell so hopefully the revision I've done so far will be enough with a quick recap tomorrow evening

Get well soon! Core 4 wasn't great - spent my day drowning my sorrows and being unproductive haha. Good luck for Chem!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by NEWT0N
I think we need to know about light, heavy, critical and overdamping. It's good to know about overdamping even if it's possibly not on the spec (think about polar orbits not being on the spec but you still get questions about them here and there).

Light: The amplitude of oscillation reduces slowly over time.
Heavy: Amplitude of oscillation reduces more quickly over time than for a lightly damped system
Critical: The system doesn't oscillate but returns to its equilibrium position in the shortest possible time (in less than one cycle, due to no oscillation)
Overdamping: The system doesn't oscillate but also doesn't return to its equilibrium position. This is why you would perhaps not want to overdamp a car suspension system (car won't return to equilibrium, which is bad). You can think of this as a pendulum moving through a thick gooey substance from maximum displacement

Those are the general ideas anyway.

Thanks a lot!
Hey again guys hahah, can someone explain q15 of june 13 section A?! I think i may just being an idiot but I can't figure it out!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending