The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by games211
is it 2 to the power of y?

I got log2(x) = (y)/ln(2)
Reply 1041
Anyone know any interesting and/or a few of the hardest Edexcel (no solomon because they do my head in :smile: ) C3 past papers?
Original post by Nirm
Anyone know any interesting and/or a few of the hardest Edexcel (no solomon because they do my head in :smile: ) C3 past papers?

http://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/a-level-maths-papers/
Original post by Nurishment
I got log2(x) = (y)/ln(2)

Yeah me too

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can you also say it equals ylog2e

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Nirm

June 2013 is the hardest. Just have a look at the grade boundaries, if they are low for one year the paper was hard :smile:
https://07a69ccf283966549a9350d1a66951a7bc96e2dc.googledrive.com/host/0B1ZiqBksUHNYZ0JQM1NRcmdHdXM/June%202013%20(Withdrawn)%20QP%20-%20C3%20Edexcel.pdf

Is there a mistake in the mark scheme for 3b? in the mark scheme it says the second solution is from -2x-5=3-x

shouldn't it be from -(2x-5)=3-x? I wouldn't be surprised if mark scheme is wrong as is for the withdrawn june 2013 paper
Original post by arsenalfc97
https://07a69ccf283966549a9350d1a66951a7bc96e2dc.googledrive.com/host/0B1ZiqBksUHNYZ0JQM1NRcmdHdXM/June%202013%20(Withdrawn)%20QP%20-%20C3%20Edexcel.pdf

Is there a mistake in the mark scheme for 3b? in the mark scheme it says the second solution is from -2x-5=3-x

shouldn't it be from -(2x-5)=3-x? I wouldn't be surprised if mark scheme is wrong as is for the withdrawn june 2013 paper

No, the markscheme is correct, as the | | are only around the x! not the whole function
Original post by Gome44
No, the markscheme is correct, as the | | are only around the x! not the whole function

oh yeah haha. thanks
Original post by arsenalfc97
oh yeah haha. thanks

Just reread my post, sorry if the ! seemed a bit aggressive, it was supposed to be a comma :tongue:
Original post by Anon-
What do you mean take the cosx out? You can't really do much after sqrt(3)sinx - cosx = 0

do cosx (root3 tanx - 1) =0
so cos x = x
and tanx = 1/root3 then solve the x's
Reply 1051
Original post by Gome44
June 2013 is the hardest. Just have a look at the grade boundaries, if they are low for one year the paper was hard :smile:

Just tried it, i got 56/75. Got destroyed by it haha. I need to work way more now.

And also does anyone know a list (or maybe its in the spec? i am not too sure) of like all the graphs we should know, i mean like y=x^(1/2)? Because i didn't know how to do and pretty sure would have gotten it wrong if i was in the exam.
Yo

How do you draw something like |x^2 + 3| + 2x?

Posted from TSR Mobile
god please grant me 90% average in c3 and c4. done all the c4 papers but only about 5 c3 papers, c3 seems straightforward but in the exam hall you just lose silly marks
Square both sides, collect terms, factorise if you can then find the value of x
How do you do the work out the minimum value and the smallest possible value of x questions? Also for when it asks for the maximum and greatest possible value? I never understand them.

Also any method for working out range and domain of reciprocal graphs?
Hey guys for the cosecx and secx graph what do the horizontal asymptotes mean I've never learned about them???

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Medicjug
Why does x=something have a gradient that tends to infinity??

Posted from TSR Mobile

1/0=infinity

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by it's a me, mario
Yo

How do you draw something like |x^2 + 3| + 2x?

Posted from TSR Mobile

X^2 + 3 is always positive anyway, so you can just remove the mod sign :smile:
Original post by Medicjug
Hey guys for the cosecx and secx graph what do the horizontal asymptotes mean I've never learned about them???

Posted from TSR Mobile

The asymptotes will be where their reciprocal graphs (cos(x) and sin(x)) meet the x-axis (when the function = 0) e.g. for the sec(x) graph, there will be an asymptote at 90 degrees and then 270 degrees likewise at -90 degrees and -270 (that's when cos(x) crosses the x-axis)

Latest

Trending

Trending