The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Mathematics MPC4 Core 4 - 9th June 2015 [Discussion & unofficial markscheme]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by HennersPD
haha hopefully! Warwick is my insurance - what a coincidence! :smile: what'd need for that and do you think you'll get the grades? :smile:

I might see you at one then:smile: and that is a coincidence, could you apply for accomadation at warwick. I need A*A*A+step. And nope I really don't think I willi less boundires are very low.
I just subbed in x =3, x =4 etc in g(x) and showed it was decreasing with successive x values. would this get the marks as surely this still shows decreases? :/

I couldn't tell you, I'd probably say no as it wouldn't cover all options, however, I may be wrong, I can't remember how many marks that question was worth, like 3? but I imagine 1 maybe even 2 marks for the simplified g(x), I'm not sure how much of a proof you need for it really, although, 1 mark doesn't suggest much
Original post by ForgottenApple
Ill just take your A* grade next year when I fail :frown:

Sounds like a deal...! So, if you don't get an A*, what are you planning to do? Gap year, re-taking the year at college or clearing?
(I understand if you don't want to talk about this.)
Original post by Chung224
guys would 68-72 marks in C3 and 62-66 marks in C4 be an A*?

yes
Original post by 2014_GCSE
Eek, sorry man! I never thought of it that way. On the plus side, there's more people to pull the grade boundaries down if we all fail, woohoo!I would say that's an A*, yes. That 70+ in C3 could be 100UMS so as long as you have 80UMS in Core 4, you're fine.

That's true. Hey, all the best of luck to you! How do you think you've done?

I think i got 65/75 on core 3 and 64/75 on core 4 :/ need an A* though for uni and don't think that's enough for 180 UMS :frown: what about you? bath uni increased my offer from AAB to A*AA a few weeks ago due to high competition! :/ so upsetting as i've so hard all year :frown: what'd you think?
my method was OE = OB + 1/2 AC or OE = OB + 3/2AC

Ahh right ok thanks!!
my friend needs A*A*A*a

What for, Camb?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by will_iredale
That's what i did, it will still get the first 2 marks at least for reaching that stage, I imagine that would be one of the alternate methods as long as you put an explanation.

I just basically sub in x =3, 4 and 5 and stated since the value of g(x) is decreasing as x increases, then the function g(x) is decreasing and tends towards zero :smile: what mark do you think you go overall in core 4? :smile:
Original post by joe radomski
I couldn't tell you, I'd probably say no as it wouldn't cover all options, however, I may be wrong, I can't remember how many marks that question was worth, like 3? but I imagine 1 maybe even 2 marks for the simplified g(x), I'm not sure how much of a proof you need for it really, although, 1 mark doesn't suggest much

It was for x>0 so surely by showing that 1/f(x) becomes smaller as x increases it would be proof? I'm not 100% so im only giving myself half marks for that question.
Original post by George1231
I might see you at one then:smile: and that is a coincidence, could you apply for accomadation at warwick. I need A*A*A+step. And nope I really don't think I willi less boundires are very low.

Yeah I should see you at one of them :0 yeah it is! I did, applied to bluebell, arthur vick and some others haha! what about you? WOW thats impressive very high grades!! Good luck i'm sure you'll achieve that if not better :wink: when's your next exam? :biggrin:
That's an interesting one.. that'll be a high 90+UMS in Core 4 for sure, and I think that'll be either a little bit into an A or possibly just scraping an A.

You'll probably get an A*.

Thanks. Don't need an A* to meet my offer but it would be nice! just ballsed up core 3 badly. Also does anyone know if I'll get the marks for the decreasing function question if I said that because it's 1/f(x) , and as x increases, f(x) increases, the function is decreasing
I need A*AA. what'd you need? what course and what uni is your first choice? :smile:

Imperial Aero Eng, a*a*a. You?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2272
Ew
Got put off computing last year with the 120 pages of *******ing coursework + 3 hour exam + writing an actual program (tho tbf that part was good)

Hahha WJEC?

You think that's a lot? Try 150,000 words in my project this year :wink: did a theatre booking system for my local theatre :smile:

yeah i have chemistry unit 4 tomorrow and then physics unit 4 on thursday :/ just hoping in maths i've got at least an A and at a push, low A* :/ who knows?! so worried about it though as it's the one subject I thought i could do really well in :frown:

No one knows man - don't do yourself down. It'll only affect your performance tomorrow! Chin up!

Dude!! What's Computing like at second year? I took it this year and really enjoyed it. I got an A* in my coursework but I'm not that great at coding to be honest, and just managed to push through by working super hard and fixing it little bits at a time.

Will this method work in the second year? :tongue: Because I really want to take the subject, but I'm honestly one of weakest coders in my class (though I somehow stumbled to 30/30 on my project this year through talking with friends and reading stuff online...).

Which exam board do you do?

I do WJEC.

I love computing. It motivated me to apply for Computer Science at Bath. It's a long slog in terms of coursework. I did thousands of pages of work which was ridiculous. Then again, it all worked in the end and I managed 99/100 in the coursework so I'm happy :smile:

Original post by ubisoft
You only need 90 avg, if you got 100 c3 then you only need 80 and 65 is definitely 80 dude. You've got it.

Yeah I'll join tomorrow, taking a break today!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks! I'm a typical worrier. I'm still not convinced I've got an A*, but if I do then you have every right to say "I told you so!" come results day!

Original post by HenryC0302
Yes please do, the only one I'm struggling with is 6 (c) I can't seem to get the second lot of coordinates for E

I didn't even answer it in the exam - sorry :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ubisoft
Imperial Aero Eng, a*a*a. You?

Posted from TSR Mobile

wow that's impressive :smile: good luck! Chemistry with a year in industry , Bath Uni A*AA ( they increased my offer from AAB due to high competition!) :/ think you'll get those grades then? :smile:
Original post by CD223
Hahha WJEC?

You think that's a lot? Try 150,000 words in my project this year :wink: did a theatre booking system for my local theatre :smile:Which exam board do you do?

I do WJEC.

I love computing. It motivated me to apply for Computer Science at Bath. It's a long slog in terms of coursework. I did thousands of pages of work which was ridiculous. Then again, it all worked in the end and I managed 99/100 in the coursework so I'm happy :smile:

I'm on WJEC too! And yeah, I've just started writing the objectives for the project I'm going to create next year.
I was thinking something like character creation and then an education quiz where for every answer you get wrong, your created character moves closer to the edge of a cliff. Is... is... this dumb? I just really want to do something interesting and fun!
Original post by will_iredale
It was for x>0 so surely by showing that 1/f(x) becomes smaller as x increases it would be proof? I'm not 100% so im only giving myself half marks for that question.

I'm not too sure, but I thought it'd want you to show that it continuously decreases, a person with no prior knowledge may think that it could start to increase at some point, like for x^2, I think it needs to be shown that the trend is continuous, probably looking too deeply into this, does anybody actually remember how many marks that part was?
Yeah I should see you at one of them :0 yeah it is! I did, applied to bluebell, arthur vick and some others haha! what about you? WOW thats impressive very high grades!! Good luck i'm sure you'll achieve that if not better :wink: when's your next exam? :biggrin:

Friday s2 what about you. And I applied for bluebell and Arthur Vick as my top 2. And I doubt it but Ahh well always next year :biggrin:
Does anyone have the paper?
I think i got 65/75 on core 3 and 64/75 on core 4 :/ need an A* though for uni and don't think that's enough for 180 UMS :frown: what about you? bath uni increased my offer from AAB to A*AA a few weeks ago due to high competition! :/ so upsetting as i've so hard all year :frown: what'd you think?

Roughly the same as you. I got anywhere from 64-68 (C3) and 62-65 (C4) so who knows what I'll come out with! I think we both have a decent shot at 180 UMS, but it depends completely on the grade boundaries (We'd have an A* for June 2011-2014 boundaries!!).
And ouch, that's a nightmare having the offer increased! What's your back-up Uni?
Original post by HenryC0302
Ahh right ok thanks!!

What would the diagram look like for OE = OB + 3/2AC?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending