The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 Chemistry 6ch04/05 JUNE 2015

Scroll to see replies

Just use LiAlH4 in dry ether!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Wahid1
We established that there's no need for the use of volumes in this scenario.

The question was about the difference in values which arises from their laziness :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 862
Original post by madmenace

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's the only way i know how too haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Wahid1
We established that there's no need for the use of volumes in this scenario.

The question was about the difference in values which arises from their laziness :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wait.. Im a bit confused still.. Whats the 0.6 all about?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by baymax96
11356082_910975032298597_329126981_n (1).jpg what is the reason for the chloride ion conc being 0.2?

also please can someone show me how to solve these questions! I'm so confused as to what i'm doing wrong :frown:
Attachment not found
the answers are A, D and C

These questions are from the sample assessment paper
thank you in advance!

The sample assessment:

Q10)

a) and b) are both:

Work out excess mols then:

c=1000n/v pH = -log(c)

c) NEVER use UNIVERSAL for Acid-base titrations!

You know it's not going to be A or B now. Sort of obvious but won't be D so you could use process of elimination or work out the pH from b) and this should give you the end point, and equivalence point will be below that (hence why I'm doubting D).
Original post by Nautic4l
Thank you, but what about for any other questions in which they ask? Is the clue in the question usually?

Yup, the question makes it clear, or they assume you have basic chemistry knowledge/common sense to know the standard states of some chemicals (e.g.- water is liquid, etc.) But most times, it should be fairly obvious, and if not, the mark scheme usually does not distinguish between aq/l in many cases if both are factually correct. Good luck! :smile:
Original post by MeeraP07

Posted from TSR Mobile

the volume of the container in dm^3
Original post by Wahid1
I would be inclined to say no because the reducing agent mentioned in our course is LiAlH4

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks! Turns out our teachers have been teaching us wrong :P
Original post by madmenace

Posted from TSR Mobile

Does it matter if you say dry ether or dry diethyl ether? Does it make a difference?
Reply 869
Original post by MeeraP07

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's the volume which you can disregard but they're being dip****s about it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 870
Original post by AffirmedCube
Does it matter if you say dry ether or dry diethyl ether? Does it make a difference?

I think so?

Just say dry ether to be on the safe side

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Katameringue
Quick question: can you reduce a ketone/aldehyde C=O bond with excess hydrogen and a catalyst? 'Cause my notes say one thing, but a markscheme I just looked at says another :s-smilie:

No, the H2/Pt combination reduces C=C, but not C=O. To reduce C=O, LiAlH4 is typically used.
Original post by Katameringue
Quick question: can you reduce a ketone/aldehyde C=O bond with excess hydrogen and a catalyst? 'Cause my notes say one thing, but a markscheme I just looked at says another :s-smilie:

June 2014 IAL has a question regarding an organic compound reacting separately with excess Hydrogen with Nickel catalyst and LiAlH4.
Reply 873
Can someone link me some questions on identifying organic compounds e.g. NMR, spectroscopy and that stuff, can't find any anywhere.
Original post by ArielHaeems
No, the H2/Pt combination reduces C=C, but not C=O. To reduce C=O, LiAlH4 is typically used.

in the george facer book it says h2/pt can be used as well but i think its best to say LiAlH4
Original post by Hairysweets
The sample assessment:

Q10)

a) and b) are both:

Work out excess mols then:

c=1000n/v pH = -log(c)

c) NEVER use UNIVERSAL for Acid-base titrations!

You know it's not going to be A or B now. Sort of obvious but won't be D so you could use process of elimination or work out the pH from b) and this should give you the end point, and equivalence point will be below that (hence why I'm doubting D).

Ok so for a, excess moles would be 25-24.95/1000 x 1? which = 5x 10^-5

but i'm still not getting the answer:/

SORRY just realised my mistake!! i understand now

thankyou!!
Original post by Maham88
in the george facer book it says h2/pt can be used as well but i think its best to say LiAlH4

Oh, that's weird. Could you tell me which page that is, if possible? I have the book right here.

i thought they all can be attacked equally from above and below the plane?
I'm really struggling with drawing titration curves! I only ever score a max of 2 in them. How do you how many units it should be and what the pH is at 25cm^3?
May someone please explain to me what the experiment with iodine and propanone is about?
would be a great help!

Quick Reply