The Student Room Group

AQA Physics PHYA4 - Thursday 11th June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mehrdad jafari
Well it cannot be A because gravity is always attractive( at least to what we know)

Cannot be B because if the gravitational field at the surface of the earth was zero we would be floating. Or the fact the earth has mass cannot have a zero field strength at its surface

It's C and The proof of that is in the book

It's not D because potential is work done per unit mass so it must be J/kg
once you are confident that you know which one is correct leave the rest but have a glance at them

Edit: typing error

Posted from TSR Mobile

That makes sense, I originally thought it was D, but looking at the data sheet it's easy to see! Thanks for reply

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Klaxoii
That makes sense, I originally thought it was D, but looking at the data sheet it's easy to see! Thanks for reply

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's ok, I'm happy you've understood it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3162
I know this is a massive stab in the dark, but is anyone likely to be able to take a copy of the paper home? We could then do an unofficial mark scheme for the multiple choice!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
I know this is a massive stab in the dark, but is anyone likely to be able to take a copy of the paper home? We could then do an unofficial mark scheme for the multiple choice!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I will give it a try, but unlikely since my college is so. Strict in giving them out. By the way how did you find C4? Wasn't too bad?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kennethm
I cannot fxcking believe im asking this - how on earth do you do Q3
http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-PHYA41-QP-JUN14.PDF

Not sure if you've had this answered, I've done this question seemingly 1000 times.

velocity is 2x10^-4/7.2x10^-4

momentum=mv, so just need the mass now

as density=mass/volume
volume x density = mass

therefore, momentum = volume x density x velocity, so (1000x2x10^-4)x(2x10^4/7.2x10^-4)

hope this works out, I haven't got my calculator on hand
As you can tell, I hated. June 2014, does someone mind explaining these?

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1433883602.869669.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
6 Marker Predictions?
And this question, ImageUploadedByStudent Room1433883749.672109.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Could someone work through 1C of Jun13 for me? I always seem to come undone on the phase difference questions and the mark scheme doesn't really help me either.

http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-PHYA4-2-QP-JUN13.PDF
Reply 3169
Original post by Jimmy20002012
I will give it a try, but unlikely since my college is so. Strict in giving them out. By the way how did you find C4? Wasn't too bad?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks buddy! I hated C4:frown: didn't answer the question on E, and got the implicit differentiation wrong so I lost 10 marks. Hoping I got 100 on C3 to make up for it. What do you think 65/75 will give UMS wise? Desperate for an A*.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223

Posted from TSR Mobile

Man, I've been thinking about getting one before that and we can do it, we just need to corporate well. We just need somebody having a good insight into the web. Unfortunately i don't have the required apparatus otherwise that wouldn't be a problem.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was thinking of just writing the letters down on my calculator if I get the time, so I've at least got something to compare, even if it's not very helpful without the questions. Can't get hold of the paper though unfortunately :/
Original post by ShutUpLegs
Could someone work through 1C of Jun13 for me? I always seem to come undone on the phase difference questions and the mark scheme doesn't really help me either.

http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-PHYA4-2-QP-JUN13.PDF

I think the 'method' for this is to work out a lowest common factor but I don't really get that.

I've learnt that you can use the difference in time period, then divide the smaller of the two periods by the time difference. This will give you the amount of oscillations the longer period needs to do before they are in phase again.
Man, I've been thinking about getting one before that and we can do it, we just need to corporate well. We just need somebody having a good insight into the web. Unfortunately i don't have the required apparatus otherwise that wouldn't be a problem.

Posted from TSR Mobile

we need the deeeepppp darrkkkk web
Original post by Lau14
I was thinking of just writing the letters down on my calculator if I get the time, so I've at least got something to compare, even if it's not very helpful without the questions. Can't get hold of the paper though unfortunately :/

Yeah, that's a good idea but it would be better knowing the questions too :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes, you did but you didn't need to say that he was wrong. The person asked the question had the mark scheme at hand and so he would know whether anybody's suggestion matches the mark scheme or not. And also he would know eventually if he was wrong.

Well, i don't think his saying that would make anybody feel dumb. The exam is only a few days a head and we should now be able to tackle the problems independently. During the exam there is nobody to help you with the questions. If now you don't want to think hard about a question then you will have difficulty during the exam.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol are you his boyfriend or something?
Original post by CD223
Thanks buddy! I hated C4:frown: didn't answer the question on E, and got the implicit differentiation wrong so I lost 10 marks. Hoping I got 100 on C3 to make up for it. What do you think 65/75 will give UMS wise? Desperate for an A*.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's alright! Was totally opposite for me lost like 12 marks in C3 and think I got around 68 in C4. Even though C4 was my weaker one. You should defiantly get into the 90s I think, think an A will be like 58 or something what you thinking? Sure you will get that A*!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by xela238
we need the deeeepppp darrkkkk web

Actually not anywhere dark, the light comes from the sky

Posted from TSR Mobile
Actually not anywhere dark, the light comes from the sky

Posted from TSR Mobile

not dark if you have sky broadband
Original post by adil1231
Lol are you his boyfriend or something?

If you think so