The Student Room Group

A2 OCR Chemistry B F334 - June 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by thedontom
My revision guide says polydentate is more than two coordinate bonds formed, but isn't it two or more? (or more than one?)

1 coordinate bond is monodentate, 2 coordinate bonds are Bidentate and then more than 2 is polydentate :smile:
Lol, I'm not even revising. I'm just looking at this.
Anyone know which experiments we should like like recrystallization.Anyone got full list of them?Normally 2 appear on ea paper imo.cheers x.
longer mark answsers,
- TLC
- Manganate ion titration practical
-Colorimetry, although that came up last year u can never be too careful
- recrystalization
-
Original post by CrazyFoxes
Anyone know which experiments we should like like recrystallization.Anyone got full list of them?Normally 2 appear on ea paper imo.cheers x.

anonymous helpful notes here that i edited a bit
I love memorising stuff but i keep forgetting how to name things looks like i will need to watch a video on drawing and naming all the f334 functional groups.
Thx all!!!
Original post by MathsAddict
I love memorising stuff but i keep forgetting how to name things looks like i will need to watch a video on drawing and naming all the f334 functional groups.

yeah i have the same problem, epsecialy with ethers, ketones and aldehydes.
Do we need to know the reactions of Benzene ? like Nitration, fiedel crafts and all that jazz ? or is that f335 ?
Original post by MrPolish
Do we need to know the reactions of Benzene ? like Nitration, fiedel crafts and all that jazz ? or is that f335 ?

They f335 bro, those sulfonation,nitration,acylation,alkylation
Original post by kevintai0901
guys just a random question.

Are we supposed to know how to name complex ions? (eg. hexaaquacopper(II) ion). The naming rules are just killing me.

Original post by EggsterminateMe
Yes and also the colour. I ahd to do it in one of the Exam papers.
http://www.chemguide.co.uk/inorganic/complexions/names.html

Original post by suyoof123
Yes we are,

Name the ligand/s first with the prefix for how many , then name the transition metal and depends if its negative or neutral/positive on what version of the name it will take along with the oxidation state.

Okay I just read the Salters specification because I was pretty certain we don't need to be able to name Ligands, and under Steel Story part e) the specification quotes 'use systematic nomenclature to name and interpret the names of inorganic compounds [ie copper(II) sulfide, lead(II) nitrate(V), potassium manganate(VII), not complex ions]; '.
Therefore we do not need to name them

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sorry just a change to the wording of my previous post, yes we should be able to name Ligands (water, ammonia etc.) but not complex ions

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MrPolish
yeah i have the same problem, epsecialy with ethers, ketones and aldehydes.

do we need to know how to name ethers or not??
Original post by anni101

Yep it could come up since I've seen a past paper question asking for the name of a specific ether.
Original post by anni101

From what I can tell, yes and no. In F332 we're supposed, so therefore we could get a question on it, but unlikely.
For one of the questions they asked to draw an electrochemical cell for copper and iron. The copper electrode was copper metal but the iron was platinum. Why is that?
Original post by Mars256
From whathat I can tell, yes and no. In F332 we're supposed, so therefore we could get a question on it, but unlikely.

There was a past paper question asking you to name an ether though so I wouldn't risk it. It's straightforward anyway.
Original post by MathsAddict
some help me on june 2012 5 b iii how is it a cordination number of 6 i know edta4- is a polydentate so how many bonds can it form? 6? why 6 why not 4?

Coordination number is the number of dative covalent bonds
Everyone eat a banana before the exam, I hate them but it's good brain food
tfw you're going through the test bank and you're on slide 10 of 189. gonna be a long night

Quick Reply