millielekita
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Okay, so I've just finished my iGCSE's, but now I'm struggling to choose between A-Levels and IB. I'm not an academically strong student, I have mild dyslexia and very, very strong dyscalculia - which is obviously a huge disadvantage for the IB as it involves forced maths and science. Even though you have to option to do IB Diploma, drop maths, EE , TOK and CAS. However, due to where I live a lot of the subjects are very academic based, and not creative. I would like to go on to study media and film, or music, most universities are looking for a 28-38 IB score which seems way harder than an ABB.
I just want some personal opinions and experiences of the two coursers, especially if you really struggle in school, and you are more of a creative student!!!
Thank you!!!!
Vav Sartrean Po
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by millielekita)
Okay, so I've just finished my iGCSE's, but now I'm struggling to choose between A-Levels and IB. I'm not an academically strong student, I have mild dyslexia and very, very strong dyscalculia - which is obviously a huge disadvantage for the IB as it involves forced maths and science. Even though you have to option to do IB Diploma, drop maths, EE , TOK and CAS. However, due to where I live a lot of the subjects are very academic based, and not creative. I would like to go on to study media and film, or music, most universities are looking for a 28-38 IB score which seems way harder than an ABB.
I just want some personal opinions and experiences of the two coursers, especially if you really struggle in school, and you are more of a creative student!!!
Thank you!!!!
Just because you're not academically strong, it doesn't mean that you have to take music at university. Take your passionate subject through A-levels. Start strong on a levels and change your academic rigour.
GemmaConlin
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi, I also have dyslexia and I did IB for a year and then switched to A Levels. My advice when choosing is if you wouldn't do a subject at A Level such as Maths, then don't do IB as it's still to a high standard (even maths studies). Also I think if you want to do something creative at uni, A Levels will stand you in better stead as it allows you greater focus on those subjects rather than a broad overview of subjects which won't be relevant to your degree. Good luck with choosing!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you work while at uni?

Yes I work at university (68)
32.85%
No I don't (98)
47.34%
I work during the holidays (41)
19.81%

Watched Threads