The Student Room Group

Driving theory test??

Hi guys,

I've got a theory test next week and I was wondering if anyone who's done it recently could give me any advice or tips? Also, I'm dreading the Hazard Perception part the most

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I did as many past paper questions as I could as many questions are recycled and I bought a CD which gave me mock Hazard Perceptions. For me the trick was clicking just as a hazard developed then clicking again when it happened but ensuring i didn't click more than three times for each hazard. Read the highway code for the questions as they are based on this and try not to stress as enjoy it if you can, after all it is meant to represent what driving is actually like and it isn't all that different from playing a computer game! Good Luck :smile:
Original post by CosmicAero
Hi guys,

I've got a theory test next week and I was wondering if anyone who's done it recently could give me any advice or tips? Also, I'm dreading the Hazard Perception part the most

Thanks

I did it quite a few years ago, but the key things are:

1. Do lots of the mock tests - you can get a CD with about 1000 questions or you can go to the DVLA website. Most of it is common sense.
2. Read Highway code for rules etc.
3. Most CDs for theory tests have hazard perception tests too - practice these. It's like playing a video game really - just react as quickly as you can when you think there is a hazard.

Best of luck! :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by CosmicAero
Hi guys,

Thanks

How did it go? Any tips?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by futurePM
How did it go? Any tips?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did it last year just remember to stay calm it's ease re said then done o know but just think go good you will feel when you pass and trust me you will pass
As long as you keep doing various mock tests, (you can find good sites just by googling) you'll be fine :smile: don't just do it once and think that's it though. Keep redoing them until you're dreaming about it! lol naw but just keep the revision consistent and you should be ok when the test comes. I really do recommend downloading the apps as well, you want to cover as many different questions as you can. The hazard perception is really easy, in most places they will have updated the system now and have the hazards be really easy to spot cause of the CGI. Do practice ones online, just remember to click only 2-3 times when you see a hazard developing. This is to ensure you land a click in the scoring window. And don't spam clicks!
Reply 6
Original post by New- Emperor
I did it last year just remember to stay calm it's ease re said then done o know but just think go good you will feel when you pass and trust me you will pass

Hey. Thanks. I passed today! Stayed positive throughout!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by merlinsvalor
As long as you keep doing various mock tests, (you can find good sites just by googling) you'll be fine :smile: don't just do it once and think that's it though. Keep redoing them until you're dreaming about it! lol naw but just keep the revision consistent and you should be ok when the test comes. I really do recommend downloading the apps as well, you want to cover as many different questions as you can. The hazard perception is really easy, in most places they will have updated the system now and have the hazards be really easy to spot cause of the CGI. Do practice ones online, just remember to click only 2-3 times when you see a hazard developing. This is to ensure you land a click in the scoring window. And don't spam clicks!

Hey. Thats exactly what i did. I did loads of mocks from different websites and same questions came up except for a few. Thanks a lot for the advice. I didnt need to download apps that cost as the same questions came up!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by futurePM
Hey. Thanks. I passed today! Stayed positive throughout!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nice one! Well done :smile:
Reply 9
Download the official phone app, many of the questions in my actual test were exactly the same as the app ones
What's the app called? I have been using a website called Top Tests, have you heard of it and do you think it's good?
Reply 11
Okay someone whose done a theory test in the past month please tell me what are the Hazards which appear in the clips. And please tell me which will be the clip with 2 Hazards and what they will be
Perform sex with the head of the center and you'll pass without having to undertake the test.
Original post by SonicOfPron
Perform sex with the head of the center and you'll pass without having to undertake the test.

Thanks for the advice, i had my theory today and that worked! I'm not homosexual but i still done stuff :smile:

On a serious note both the multiple choice and the HP test are piss easy, i got 49/50 on the multiple choice and 66/75 on the HP test. I don't understand why so many people have issues with the tests lol. My only thought is that people don't revise and expect to pass or my cognitive gymnastics are on another level haha

How i passed my test - I read through the DVSA theory book and done all the questions. Then i went through all the questions twice again on the "All tests" CD. I also skimmed through the Road signs book. All of that took around 10-15 hours. I then went through the official DVSA Hazard perception CD (the hazard perception clips on the "all tests" CD are really bad and not worth looking at in my opinion). Going though that CD i done all the clips once, then done them again about 2 weeks later (the day before the test) The HP part took about 2-3 hours maximum to revise.

So all in all you're looking at 12-18 hours revision if you have half a brain cell :smile:

Good luck all, hope this helps :smile:
Original post by RamboGrad
Thanks for the advice, i had my theory today and that worked! I'm not homosexual but i still done stuff :smile:

On a serious note both the multiple choice and the HP test are piss easy, i got 49/50 on the multiple choice and 66/75 on the HP test. I don't understand why so many people have issues with the tests lol. My only thought is that people don't revise and expect to pass or my cognitive gymnastics are on another level haha

How i passed my test - I read through the DVSA theory book and done all the questions. Then i went through all the questions twice again on the "All tests" CD. I also skimmed through the Road signs book. All of that took around 10-15 hours. I then went through the official DVSA Hazard perception CD (the hazard perception clips on the "all tests" CD are really bad and not worth looking at in my opinion). Going though that CD i done all the clips once, then done them again about 2 weeks later (the day before the test) The HP part took about 2-3 hours maximum to revise.

So all in all you're looking at 12-18 hours revision if you have half a brain cell :smile:

Good luck all, hope this helps :smile:

What about using the apps, mine is next wed and ive done lots of highway code revision, like which apps are good and is the best one cuz i dont have access to books..
Original post by GeorgeAndLennie
What about using the apps, mine is next wed and ive done lots of highway code revision, like which apps are good and is the best one cuz i dont have access to books..

I'm not sure about the apps, didn't use it myself but i heard that the official DVSA one is really good. You don't really need the book, just buy the "Driving test all tests" CD on amazon for like £5 and theres 27 practice papers on that. Go through them a couple of times and you should be getting 47-50/50 on all 27 tests the second time round. Most of the questions on the actual paper are identical or worded slightly different, but if you can master those 27 papers, you'll definitely pass the multiple choice part.

Good luck.
I'm not sure about the apps, didn't use it myself but i heard that the official DVSA one is really good. You don't really need the book, just buy the "Driving test all tests" CD on amazon for like £5 and theres 27 practice papers on that. Go through them a couple of times and you should be getting 47-50/50 on all 27 tests the second time round. Most of the questions on the actual paper are identical or worded slightly different, but if you can master those 27 papers, you'll definitely pass the multiple choice part.

Good luck.

no time for dvds, its next wed...
no time for dvds, its next wed...

You could get a next day delivery, or just get the app, whichever works best for you.
You could get a next day delivery, or just get the app, whichever works best for you.

Do you know which is the app, sorry to bother
Do you know which is the app, sorry to bother

No worries, I just looked it up on the app store, type in "DVSA theory test" The first app is $4.99 but only has the multiple choice part. However the second app has both the Multiple choice questions plus the hazard perception clips (£6.99). If i was you i'd get the second app because it also includes the hazard perception. I have friends that only used the app and passed.

Good luck, let me know how your test goes.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending