The Student Room Group

AQA Physics PHYA4 - Thursday 11th June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Just looked over my paper from last year and damn was I marked harshly! I didn't get one mark on the six marker!
What happens in a uniform electric field, when both plates are positive and also when :

1) Both plates have the same PD

2) One plate has a higher positive PD then the other positive PD

And also when both are negative

1) of same PD

2) One plate is more negative then the other
Original post by AR_95
What happens in a uniform electric field, when both plates are positive and also when :

1) of same PD

1) If both plates have the same PD, there is no electric field.
2) There is an electric field in the direction of the higher value PD to the lower value PD. V is the difference between the values.

1) Same as above
2) Same as above, will be in the direction of the least negative to the more negative value.

Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong because I didn't look this up. I think it's correct though :smile:
Original post by AR_95

1) of same PD

When one plate has a higher PD than another plate, the direction of the electric field lines go from higher PD -> Lower PD. This is vice versa for two negatively charged plates, but in this instance the electric field lines will go from less negative -> More negative.

When two plates have the same PD, whether it be negative or positive, the net effect of the electric field at a midpoint between them will be zero.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by JJBinn
1) If both plates have the same PD, there is no electric field.
2) There is an electric field in the direction of the higher value PD to the lower value PD. V is the difference between the values.

1) Same as above
2) Same as above, will be in the direction of the least negative to the more negative value.

Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong because I didn't look this up. I think it's correct though :smile:

Yep, electric field lines are the paths that a small positive charge would follow if placed in the field
Original post by NEWT0N
emf induced is at a pi/2 phase difference between flux linkage. When magnitude of flux linkage is maximum emf induced is 0, and vice versa. The emf induced is maximum when the coil is parallel to the field lines because the coil cuts the flux lines perpendicularly at that instant. Flux linkage is easier to guess intuitively as it becomes maximal when the coil is perpendicular to the field.

Something like this?
Original post by ShutUpLegs
Just looked over my paper from last year and damn was I marked harshly! I didn't get one mark on the six marker!

I just did the written, you really didn't need to even touch the 6 marker to get an A*.

Sometimes its better to retain or gain marks elsewhere as opposed to spending 10 minutes on 6 marks. The way I see 6 markers are if they are this difficult and demanding then don't bother unless you've done everything else as perfectly as possible and you have the time for it.

Some 6 markers aren't demanding at all and its easy to get 4/5 ish marks from them at first glance which is fine.
Reply 3288
Original post by huniibehi
Does anybody get how they concluded 38s for this question?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I hate those type of questions. Basically, the pendulum of period 1.9 seconds completes more oscillations within a given time than the pendulum of 2.0 seconds.

One way in calculating the time when they both come back into phase with each other is by having n as the number of oscillations completed by the 2.0 second pendulum... because you know the 1.9 second pendulum will always complete more oscillations than the 2,0 second pendulum you can formulate it...

(n+1)1.9=2.0n

If you re-arrange to find n it should give you n=19, so 2.0 second pendulum completes 19 oscillations before they both come back in phase and if you find the product of the number of oscillations and time period it gives 38 seconds.
Why is the energy stored in a capacitor half of that for a battery
Anybody got any predictions?
Original post by AR_95
Why is the energy stored in a capacitor half of that for a battery

I think it's because it's halved between the plates

Posted from TSR Mobile
has anybody got any good resources for info on resonance and damping? i have a feeling we'll get some tricky questions on this to catch people out
Was just wondering, thought it might be a good idea if somone put together a kind of average answer table. For example spring constant usually around the 100s, capacitance usually x10^-6 etc. Would be a great help?
Original post by xela238
Was just wondering, thought it might be a good idea if somone put together a kind of average answer table. For example spring constant usually around the 100s, capacitance usually x10^-6 etc. Would be a great help?

I wouldn't advise this, answers and magnitudes can change dependant on different situations
Original post by AR_95
I wouldn't advise this, answers and magnitudes can change dependant on different situations

But would there not be rough paramteters? so if you got x10^-11 eV not J you know youve gone wrong?
Screen Shot 2015-06-10 at 12.52.12.png

Hey guys, can anyone explain why the answer a parabola in the vertical plane? I thought it would be in the horizontal

23 - the magnet and coil are in relative motion with each other so the coil is cutting the magnetic flux lines of the magnet therefore inducing an emf in the surrounding area which will show a reading in the ammeter as there is a current in the coil.

(you do not need to consider lenz's law here at all so don't confuse yourself with that)

24 -

ε = BANωSinωt

just apply your knowledge of maths graphs and the information they gave you to this equation.
Original post by gabbons
Screen Shot 2015-06-10 at 12.52.12.png

Hey guys, can anyone explain why the answer a parabola in the vertical plane? I thought it would be in the horizontal

the circle is horizontal, so when it it falls off it will be a parabola in the vertical...

wish i could draw it lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending