The Student Room Group

OCR Drama and Poetry pre-1800 A2 Exam 11th June

Hi there!
I've got my A2 English Exam tomorrow looking at King Lear then a comparison between The White Devil and Paradise Lost. Is anyone else doing the same exam/texts? I'm in need of some help with some last minute revision.
Thanks!
Original post by kiraalouisee
Hi there!
I've got my A2 English Exam tomorrow looking at King Lear then a comparison between The White Devil and Paradise Lost. Is anyone else doing the same exam/texts? I'm in need of some help with some last minute revision.
Thanks!

Hey, I'm doing the nearly the same texts as you, except I'm doing 'Tis Pity She's A Whore instead of The White Devil.

What's do you need help with?
Reply 2
Hi there I am doing paradise lost/Tis pity. Do you have a essay plan on Religion or Sin.
Original post by edmund34
Hi there I am doing paradise lost/Tis pity. Do you have a essay plan on Religion or Sin.

hi, for religion or sin i pretty much follow the same concept if you use some of your quotes from the basic plan -

section 1 - there is a higher power/punishment for sin all characters are aware of

sin
- eve and adam know someone wants to take their happiness
- giovanni knows he can't have annabella

religion
- eve feels restricted from gods teachings
- giovanni wants to go against God for annabella

section 2 - the sin/betrayal of religion

sin and religion -
- eve and adam eating the apple
- giovanni and annabella having an affair

section 3 - the punishment for the sin/going against god

sin and religion -
- being punished to guilty shame
- the death

if you use critical perspectives which reference both you should be fine; you could also mention TPSAW was written before the restoration (where people went against God) and Paradise Lost after, so compare how one was forward thinking and one written in hindsight

hope that helps!
Reply 4
Original post by BenjaminM96
hi, for religion or sin i pretty much follow the same concept if you use some of your quotes from the basic plan -

section 1 - there is a higher power/punishment for sin all characters are aware of

sin
- eve and adam know someone wants to take their happiness
- giovanni knows he can't have annabella

religion
- eve feels restricted from gods teachings
- giovanni wants to go against God for annabella

section 2 - the sin/betrayal of religion

sin and religion -
- eve and adam eating the apple
- giovanni and annabella having an affair

section 3 - the punishment for the sin/going against god

sin and religion -
- being punished to guilty shame
- the death

if you use critical perspectives which reference both you should be fine; you could also mention TPSAW was written before the restoration (where people went against God) and Paradise Lost after, so compare how one was forward thinking and one written in hindsight

hope that helps!

Thanks, how much critics and context do you roughly need to use
Thanks, how much critics and context do you roughly need to use

did that plan make sense? It was a bit basic so i apologise!

Ao3 is critics and the comparison. Because comparison is under Ao3 and that's what you're doing i would use critics as much as your other question where there's no comparison. However, i would still use some just to show off your sophisticated understanding of the text and your further research

Ao4 historical context is worth 10 marks in this question, so i would try to put a bit in at the beginning and end of each paragraph, and it also looks good if you put some in the introduction. Even if it's just basic stuff like the dates they were written or the fact Milton was blind it should help with context!

With sin i always make a point to mention how adam and eve are condemned together whereas Annabella is the singular 'whore' and giovanni gets of pretty lightly
Reply 6
did that plan make sense? It was a bit basic so i apologise!

Ao3 is critics and the comparison. Because comparison is under Ao3 and that's what you're doing i would use critics as much as your other question where there's no comparison. However, i would still use some just to show off your sophisticated understanding of the text and your further research

Ao4 historical context is worth 10 marks in this question, so i would try to put a bit in at the beginning and end of each paragraph, and it also looks good if you put some in the introduction. Even if it's just basic stuff like the dates they were written or the fact Milton was blind it should help with context!

With sin i always make a point to mention how adam and eve are condemned together whereas Annabella is the singular 'whore' and giovanni gets of pretty lightly

yeah the plan was helpful. I don't understand the comparison bit in A03,can you explain please
yeah the plan was helpful. I don't understand the comparison bit in A03,can you explain please

The whole point is this question is to compare TPSAW and PL. the question could be something like 'compare the presentation of love' and from that you would have to compare how Ford and Milton compare love. It is less about the individualistic language and more about the texts being compared. If you make little comparison and just analyses the texts individually you will get little marks.

I wouldn't structure your essay 1 paragraph TPSAW 1 paragraph PL, i would make one overall paragraph where both are compared and analysed. You'll get more marks for that than critics
Reply 8
The whole point is this question is to compare TPSAW and PL. the question could be something like 'compare the presentation of love' and from that you would have to compare how Ford and Milton compare love. It is less about the individualistic language and more about the texts being compared. If you make little comparison and just analyses the texts individually you will get little marks.

I wouldn't structure your essay 1 paragraph TPSAW 1 paragraph PL, i would make one overall paragraph where both are compared and analysed. You'll get more marks for that than critics

oh that makes sense thanks. How much themes have you learnt
oh that makes sense thanks. How much themes have you learnt

I'm not really one for themes, i prefer to learn my quotes chronologically and make it up on the day, but i have about 50 quotes from each text, so 150 overall; about 50 critical perspectives

how many quotes have you learnt; what grade are you aiming for?
Hey, I'm doing the nearly the same texts as you, except I'm doing 'Tis Pity She's A Whore instead of The White Devil.

What's do you need help with?

Some AO3 and AO4 for King Lear / Paradise Lost - I seem to be lacking on these two for all of my texts! Even a link to a website would be helpful.
Original post by kiraalouisee
Some AO3 and AO4 for King Lear / Paradise Lost - I seem to be lacking on these two for all of my texts! Even a link to a website would be helpful.

hi, critics and historical context can be found here

http://www.memrise.com/user/BenMarper/courses/learning/

Quick Reply

Latest