The Student Room Group

OCR PHYSICS B G494~ 11th June 2015 AM ~ A2 Physics

Scroll to see replies

Original post by phawkins96
no probs :smile: how are you finding physics? i struggle with the key terms and the 3/4 mark questions are the worst..
I think I'm fine with physics, and yes, those 3/4 mark explanation questions are pretty annoying but I'm sure you'll be fine
Does anyone know what the average grade boundaries are so I can grade my past papers?
Or is there a website that shows them all for each year?
Original post by rizzle8180
Does anyone know what the average grade boundaries are so I can grade my past papers?
Or is there a website that shows them all for each year?

Google OCR grade boundaries for each year, there's PDFs around
Be warned, i think OCR are out to ruin our lives :wink:
Original post by MattyJMP
Be warned, i think OCR are out to ruin our lives :wink:

lol you only just realised? We all saw the horror show that was G491 last year right?

There's a reason why OCR B physics' grade boundaries tend to be much lower than other exam boards. I've yet to see a paper where it is 90% for an A* (i.e. it was a nice paper) for OCR B physics (yet there are plenty for WJEC chemistry), but I've seen a few where it's 75% for an A*.
Original post by Rhetorical Hips
lol you only just realised? We all saw the horror show that was G491 last year right?

There's a reason why OCR B physics' grade boundaries tend to be much lower than other exam boards. I've yet to see a paper where it is 90% for an A* (i.e. it was a nice paper) for OCR B physics (yet there are plenty for WJEC chemistry), but I've seen a few where it's 75% for an A*.

Yupp, grade boundaries are usually quite lenient on this one, but just had Chem F324, geeeezzz... They really are stepping up the game :wink: and I think they'll make it exceptionally hard after all the complaints we gave them last year, just out of spite :wink:
Yupp, grade boundaries are usually quite lenient on this one, but just had Chem F324, geeeezzz... They really are stepping up the game :wink: and I think they'll make it exceptionally hard after all the complaints we gave them last year, just out of spite :wink:

If it's anything like G491 last year i'm not sure there's any point trying to revise for it :smile:

And yeah OCR is an awful exam board (difficult wise) compared to WJEC. I just had WJEC chemistry CH4 and your paper probably looks university-level compared to mine!

I don't think G494 will be as bad as last year's paper. Had a look at G491 for this year and it was much easier than the one we did in 2014. Hoping G494 will be the same
btw anyone who's done last summer's G494 - the question that states "kinetic energy remains constant/doesn't change" surely they mean that "total energy" doesn't change.

Given that in the markscheme, kinetic energy bloody changes.
Reply 29
btw anyone who's done last summer's G494 - the question that states "kinetic energy remains constant/doesn't change" surely they mean that "total energy" doesn't change.

Is this the asteroid questions? I did it as a mock and it threw me, and after looking back at it, I think it means the total energy doesn't change (ie: remains constant), but GPE can decrease (or increase) and so KE changes to ensure the total energy remains constant.
Reply 30
And another thing. Apparently in one mark scheme Boltzmann factor is the proportion of particles with extra energy E, whereas in another mark scheme it's particles with energy E -- wtf?
Original post by Robbo54
Is this the asteroid questions? I did it as a mock and it threw me, and after looking back at it, I think it means the total energy doesn't change (ie: remains constant), but GPE can decrease (or increase) and so KE changes to ensure the total energy remains constant.

Yeah I'm sure that it was a typo on their part. It just makes so much more sense if total energy stays the same.
Reply 32
Kind of put revision off for this since forever and have only started today, then got bored after 2 past papers.

You can thank me for the low grade boundaries :tongue:
Original post by Tibbz2
Kind of put revision off for this since forever and have only started today, then got bored after 2 past papers.

You can thank me for the low grade boundaries :tongue:

Cheers dude. You can all probably thank me also though at this rate :smile:

If the OCR chemistry paper is anything like G494 then we're all doomed anyway.
Reply 34
If its like lasts year g491 and g492, there'll be questions like 'estimated the mass of the universe'.
Reply 35

Read the question carefully, it caught me out the first time around also. It's saying that no kinetic energy is lost during the collision, not during the change in orbit.
Reply 36
Anyone else worried about what they'll throw at us this year after the awful G491 last year and today's OCR chemistry? ;p
Original post by smerkz
Read the question carefully, it caught me out the first time around also. It's saying that no kinetic energy is lost during the collision, not during the change in orbit.

Ah fair enough, thanks :smile:

Original post by smerkz
Anyone else worried about what they'll throw at us this year after the awful G491 last year and today's OCR chemistry? ;p

Yep :frown:

My Physics teacher explained this after we did it, and he said that it meant the kinetic energy didn't change during the collision (so its speed was the same before as after)
This exam sucks, OCR destroyed us last year with that stupid waterdrop paper. Lucky grade boundaries seem to be incredibly low (just did one which was 39 for an A).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending