The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 Chemistry 6ch04/05 JUNE 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Callum_Stewart
I put that it makes it sour too. Thought that was correct?

yeah it is lol i read something someone else wrote wrong
Original post by Infamous7
I remember you too haha. Yeah not too bad, definitely got atleast an A that's for sure, but really want the a*, so let's see. lol

think I probably scraped the a*
but I'm awful at Unit 5 lol
Original post by Hairysweets
I did the 79% yield one like this:

100 Sodium Theoxide(?) (Mr =116) made 79 Asprin (Mr = 180)

Therefore, 100 x 116 in relative weight made 79 x 180.
11,600 made 14,220

14,220 was bigger than 11,600. The ratio of 14,220/11,600 multiplied by 2.5 tonnes gave you the value.

Reasoning: every 1/11,600th of a weight will give you 14,220. I got an answer of 3.06... which rounded to 3.1 for the 2sf specification.

I got 3.1 then crossed it out 😩😩😩 fml thought it was wrong

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Nautic4l
Anyone put triplet and doublet?

KOH for biodiesel Q?

And what was the technique to extract the oil..?

I said distillation, the methanol is more volatile so it boils off leaving the oil (probs wrong)
Original post by rasil23
I believe the gas was oxygen as not suitable for chromatography

Another mark gone :frown: that multiple choice was difficult.
Original post by hsheahan
Catalyst in transesterification?

NaOH
Original post by Amir52
is it for GCE or IAL????

GCE
Original post by HappyCheesecake
I got A for the first multiple choice, B for the second, carbon dioxide as the one not suitable in gas chromatography, cyclohexane for the ultraviolet one, 0.56 for the NO2 at 40%, -12 for the caesium fluoride (think this is wrong though), 0.6 for the concentration of NO2 at equilibrium. Potassium dichromate giving positive test with ethane-1, 2-diol, sodium carbonate for effervescense of carboxylic acid.

I had NaOH as the catalyst, k=0.21mol-1dm3s-1, ethanoyl chloride and condensation, 3.1 tonnes for the yield, should have been Sn1 not Sn2 as order of reaction is one and the bromoalkane was tertiary (?), step 1 should have been slow step (?). 11.87 as the pH of the solution, pH higher than 7 because titrating strong base against weak acid. Buffer region for the titration curve so resists changes in pH so addition of OH- gives you propanoate and water, sour taste for the effect on food. Can't remember any more off the top of my head :/

RIP
Original post by HappyCheesecake
I got A for the first multiple choice, B for the second, carbon dioxide as the one not suitable in gas chromatography, cyclohexane for the ultraviolet one, 0.56 for the NO2 at 40%, -12 for the caesium fluoride (think this is wrong though), 0.6 for the concentration of NO2 at equilibrium. Potassium dichromate giving positive test with ethane-1, 2-diol, sodium carbonate for effervescense of carboxylic acid.

I had NaOH as the catalyst, k=0.21mol-1dm3s-1, ethanoyl chloride and condensation, 3.1 tonnes for the yield, should have been Sn1 not Sn2 as order of reaction is one and the bromoalkane was tertiary (?), step 1 should have been slow step (?). 11.87 as the pH of the solution, pH higher than 7 because titrating strong base against weak acid. Buffer region for the titration curve so resists changes in pH so addition of OH- gives you propanoate and water, sour taste for the effect on food. Can't remember any more off the top of my head :/

The first question was Z-2-chloro-pent-2-ene or something like that, and I got O2 as the gas which wasn't suitable, -12 is right
Original post by Wahid1
Niet.

One was a quartet remember

Posted from TSR Mobile

i wrote quadruplet instead of quartet do you think they'll take it lol
Original post by AnishaJayne
I got 3.1 then crossed it out 😩😩😩 fml thought it was wrong

Posted from TSR Mobile

as long as you didn't replace it with some retarded answer, they should mark your crossing outs
Was it separating funnel? And drying agent etc I spoke to my teacher and he said this would be the best from what I could remember the question being

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MoHoosen9167
I can't remember the first one

I put H2SO4, because it's transesterification?

And I said separating using a separating funnel, and letting the oil layer run out.

Fair enough and I have KOH in my notes :/ I think it's a strong alkali catalyst

Anyone remember how many marks the very last question was? CHemical shift one
Original post by hsheahan
The first question was Z-2-chloro-pent-2-ene or something like that, and I got O2 as the gas which wasn't suitable, -12 is right

No way it was entgegen which means opposite in German. E

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by frozo123
as long as you didn't replace it with some retarded answer, they should mark your crossing outs

I replaced it with 0.31 just my luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Nautic4l
Fair enough and I have KOH in my notes :/ I think it's a strong alkali catalyst

Anyone remember how many marks the very last question was? CHemical shift one

4 marks
Ok So i think I got enough for an A, but what would an A* be, based on your guys predictions?
I may have got it >.<
Original post by Kurly10
RIP

Lol, looks like I won't be going to uni this year. maybe unit 5 will pull up my grade ://
Original post by egggirl
i wrote quadruplet instead of quartet do you think they'll take it lol

yes I believe the answers were:
1.8-3.0 quartet and singlet, I can't remember which one went where
10.0-12.0
Original post by Wahid1
No way it was entgegen which means opposite in German. E

Posted from TSR Mobile

they were on the same side of the double bond; Z means Zussamen

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending