The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Nurishment
Can you do the question (with working) using the quotient rule and post it please?

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1433945410.442832.jpg

It's essentially the same thing :smile:
Original post by Gome44
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1433945410.442832.jpg

It's essentially the same thing :smile:

oops oops oops :colondollar: I completely did that wrong in my head. For some reason I multiplied both vu' and uv' by 0 getting 0 on the top fraction. Well, at least I know not to try and differentiate in my head which somehow worked to an extent for C1 and C2 :biggrin:.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Nurishment
By the way, not sure if you rushed it or misread but your equation at the end is slightly wrong. It should be y+(5/2) = 4/15(x+1), not y-(5/2)=4/15(x+1)

ah yes oops missed the negative before 5/2!
Are Elmwood papers more difficult than Solomon papers?
Original post by Ash1498
Are Elmwood papers more difficult than Solomon papers?

I'd say elmwood papers are more like the questions we get than the Solomon papers. I don't do solomon papers because the questions are stupidly hard and its just degrading. I'd rather do the IAL papers and every single edexcel paper there has ever been twice, as it can't get any harder than what's been asked in the last 15 years!
omeone help! ok so with the Rcos(x+a) for example and say you find out a and cos then it says work out the minimum value and the smallest possible value of x? Also for when it asks for the maximum and greatest possible value???? and what about for sine graph??? please help
Do we need to be able to do the "proof by counter example" and "proof by contradiction" type questions?
has anyone done the solomon papers?
Original post by danlocke
Do we need to be able to do the "proof by counter example" and "proof by contradiction" type questions?

never seen it in an actual edexcel paper, only in solomon but I guess it's possible
Original post by blueberry389
has anyone done the solomon papers?

nobody has heard of them let alone done them ...
besides we still have 1.5 days until the exam ... plenty of time ...
Original post by tajanamckenzie
omeone help! ok so with the Rcos(x+a) for example and say you find out a and cos then it says work out the minimum value and the smallest possible value of x? Also for when it asks for the maximum and greatest possible value???? and what about for sine graph??? please help

For the minimum value you know that the minimum value of cos theta or cos(x+a) is -1 by looking at the graph. so for Rcos(x+a) you multiply -1 by your value of R to get the minimum value. (-R)

Once you know the minimum value you have Rcos(x+a) = -R
cos(x+a)=-1 and so if you replace x+a with theta you can work out the the smallest positive value of x by subtracting your value for a. I may be wrong in thinking this but I don't think you can work out the smallest possible value because the graph goes on for infinite values of theta, unless there is a given range then perhaps you can.

For the maximum, it is exactly the same but instead of -1 you use 1, so the maximum value would just be R and it's the same method to find the smallest positive value.

For the sin graph it is exactly the same method as well.

I hope that helps, and good luck with your exam :smile:

what proofing is that ?
Original post by Maths degree
what proofing is that ?

Seen a couple of these questions on Solomon papers. Here's a couple of them:

'Hardest' Edexcel past paper, anyone?
Original post by Emmi12345
'Hardest' Edexcel past paper, anyone?

june 13
Seen a couple of these questions on Solomon papers. Here's a couple of them:

They're unlikely to come up. That said I wouldn't mind it personally... The counterexample above is an easy 5 marks if you know how to do it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by BBeyond
june 13

Is that June 13 R, June 13 (Withdrawn), or just June 13? :smile:
Original post by Emmi12345
Is that June 13 R, June 13 (Withdrawn), or just June 13? :smile:

just june 13
Original post by Krollo
They're unlikely to come up. That said I wouldn't mind it personally... The counterexample above is an easy 5 marks if you know how to do it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, I'd quite like that! :smile: Something a bit different. Though I don't really think that sort of thing can come up due to the fact that proof by contradiction isn't strictly on the syllabus...
Original post by BBeyond
just june 13

Ah ok, thanks! I've done that one :smile: Might have a go at some of the International and Solomon papers, then...

Latest

Trending

Trending