The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BecauseFP
Another thing to check, do we draw the gravitational field lines into a planet? Or just to its surface?

Surface
Original post by BecauseFP
Another thing to check, do we draw the gravitational field lines into a planet? Or just to its surface?

just to its surface, but use a ruler so the lines appear to meet in the centre of the planet
Original post by Flux_Dubstep
I'm going to guess you have got geostationary and polar the wrong way round, but if not.

What use is a satellite that is staying above the same point on earth, it would be far too expensive and impractical to move it everytime the spy target changes, a polar orbit would be far superior, as it can easily cover the surface of the earth in a number of orbits.

Communication satellites are normally geostationary, as it makes it easier to point the antenna towards it, Otherwise everybodies sky dish would have to move constantly so it is always pointing towards the nearest satellite

Well it would depend on the kind of spying, if you wanted to take pictures of the same place at different time intervals then a geostationary orbit would be better for this. If you wanted to take pictures of the whole world then a non-geostationary orbit would be better.
Original post by MathsAddict
january 2014 question 3cii ? i don't get what they done they worked out the gradient then how did they get 5.7hz or something like

Its june 2014 and to get f you use the formula

a = -(2pief)^2 x which is in the formula book
the gradient would be acceleration over displacement in that graph so a/x, so pick one value for a and x then

using formula the a/x (which is the gradient) = (2pief)^2

now you solve for f

So basically you just pick a value of a and x from the graph to use in the formula and a/x happens to be the gradient
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by lexl23
I've just had OCR for Chem 4, really bad exam! Plus the AS units were apparantly really different. Prepare yourselves guys, I've got a bad feeling about this one

As someone who actually sat both g481 and g482 I can tell you that the papers weren't at all that different. G481 was still a walk in the park, slightly less definitions than usual was all, and g482 was no different than last year. If you understand all the topics then you will be fine. After every exam people come out of it saying how different it was and how impossibly hard it was, invariably they're the ones who haven't done that much work and are laying down the foundations of their excuses!
Original post by OwenEllicott1996
I have question about when do keep you answer, for the next question. For example if you out the answer in part (i) to be 7374.48729 and round to 3.s.f. (7370) and then in part (ii) it asks you to find something using that answer which one do I use 7374.48729 or 7370

7374.48729 your calc should have an option to save values so you dont have to type out the whole thing again
Original post by MathsAddict
january 2014 question 3cii ? i don't get what they done they worked out the gradient then how did they get 5.7hz or something like

bro, can you link me to that paper.
(Never mind just noticed you meant june)
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by verello12
Its june 2014 and to get f you use the formula

a = -(2pief)^2 x which is in the formula book
the gradient would be acceleration over displacement in that graph so a/x, so pick one value for a and x then

using formula the a/x (which is the gradient) = (2pief)^2

now you solve for f

So basically you just pick a value of a and x from the graph to use in the formula and a/x happens to be the gradient

Just as i thought may be i didnt rearrange properly. Thank you nevertheless
Original post by verello12
How are you guys feeling about this one. I feel like it's easy to f*** it up since a small difference in marks will have a big effect on your grade.

I've dont all of the 2014-2010 past papers about 3 times each, been getting 50-60 marks but I'm still scared some word question will throw me off or im gonna forget to convert km to m for example, but my biggest worry is time. Time is my biggest enemy, I don't even know what the point is of having such a tight time limit, make it 1hr 45min or something so everyone can attempt each question with no problem...

Tbh I think I know my stuff, it's just the stupid mark scheme which can be soooo specific sometimes. So frustrating. :frown:
june 2014 question 6 d i and ii are weird where the hell did those formulas come from?
Original post by Jim997
As someone who actually sat both g481 and g482 I can tell you that the papers weren't at all that different. G481 was still a walk in the park, slightly less definitions than usual was all, and g482 was no different than last year. If you understand all the topics then you will be fine. After every exam people come out of it saying how different it was and how impossibly hard it was, invariably they're the ones who haven't done that much work and are laying down the foundations of their excuses!

G482 (Electrons, Waves and Photons) last year was very hard as proven by the fact that the A boundary was 59/100, extremely low! I don't know what it was like this year as I didn't resit (got a B), but I agree Mechanics this year was a walk in the park as I resat this and I know i deffo got an A as my teacher did an unoffical mark scheme after and I known I will have got at least 52/60.
Original post by TommyCooper97
Well it would depend on the kind of spying, if you wanted to take pictures of the same place at different time intervals then a geostationary orbit would be better for this. If you wanted to take pictures of the whole world then a non-geostationary orbit would be better.

I think it would be very risky to put down a spy satellite for an example of geostationary satellites. Sure they may exist, but they are probably just used as relays, and not imaging in the traditional sense.
It would be much safer to put down spy satellites as having non gso orbits, as this allows them to cover the whole earth fairly regularly. (I think there may have been a g481 question on this a few years back).

I'd probably avoid spy satellites all together really.
eeggh I feel like with OCR your grade is like 20% luck of the mark scheme. Answers vary for pretty much the same question, and sometimes you can put perfectly relevant and correct physics which answers the question but you won't get any marks because you didn't put the exact phrasing they wanted. It's got such a gcse memorise-it-rather-than-understand-it vibe :unimpressed:
Original post by randlemcmurphy
G481 2015 wasn't that different....

I thought it was completely unlike any other g481 paper I'd ever seen.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think it would be very risky to put down a spy satellite for an example of geostationary satellites. Sure they may exist, but they are probably just used as relays, and not imaging in the traditional sense.
It would be much safer to put down spy satellites as having non gso orbits, as this allows them to cover the whole earth fairly regularly. (I think there may have been a g481 question on this a few years back).

Yeah I would agree I would always put weather or communications to be on the safe side.
Original post by rachelc142
I thought it was completely unlike any other g481 paper I'd ever seen.

Posted from TSR Mobile

In what way?
Original post by TommyCooper97
Yeah I would agree I would always put weather or communications to be on the safe side.

There is a markscheme that has spy as the second answer along not allowed etc it is one of the answers
Someone please explain this to me.
Weightlessness with vertical circular motion..

what provides the upwards centripetal force at the bottom of the circle and why does an object weigh more at the bottom than top.
Something to do with dif between centripetal and weight?

No there is a G484 markscheme that says spy is a geostationary satellite and it is the second answer a cross not in the allowed etc.
Original post by hhattiecc
eeggh I feel like with OCR your grade is like 20% luck of the mark scheme. Answers vary for pretty much the same question, and sometimes you can put perfectly relevant and correct physics which answers the question but you won't get any marks because you didn't put the exact phrasing they wanted. It's got such a gcse memorise-it-rather-than-understand-it vibe :unimpressed:

This exam wont i promise you, it will be all application tbh

Latest

Trending

Trending